• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Cricketers - CW's Favorite Cricketer

pasag

RTDAS
More of a batting fan in general, but has to be Bond. Also the way he handed himself after getting dicked around is beyond reproach.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1.Weldone
2.Weldone's uncle :wub:
3.Utpal Chatterjee
ha ha...

4. Ajit Agarkar
5. Mr. Vettori's off-the-field avatar
6. Ntini's 5 minutes with Jono
83647768376763487. Waqar Younis

Why even bother about the second word in the phrase 'favorite cricketer'?

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
**** if people had it their way the final should just be Bradman vs. Sobers or WG Grace, and let's be done with it.
I wouldn't mind a Sachin vs Marshall or a Grimmett vs Barnes or a Warne vs Lara or a Hobbs vs Hutton final (and so many other possible combinations)...

But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE not a Ntini vs Vettori final...that's the whole point...I understand that bias plays a role, but should be upto a certain point...That's the one point I've been talking about...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But that would be a battle of who people think is the best cricketer, not of who people consider their favourite, which was the original idea of the thread.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
But that would be a battle of who people think is the best cricketer, not of who people consider their favourite, which was the original idea of the thread.
No, that would be a battle of who people think is their favorite among the great cricketers. What I'm doing is placing equal importance on the two words 'favorite' and 'cricketer'.

Mine is Sachin (though I don't think he's the best cricketer of all), someone's maybe Marshall, yours maybe Waqar...

But saying that 'my favorite cricketer is Ntini because he wore a red t-shirt when he spoke to me' or 'my favorite is Vettori because he wore contact lense on-the-field but wore glasses off-the-field' or 'my favorite is Kyle Mills because McGrath's dad wasn't a Kiwi' makes the whole thing a joke...

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
But saying that 'my favorite cricketer is Ntini because he wore a red t-shirt when he spoke to me' or 'my favorite is Vettori because he wore contact lense on-the-field but wore glasses off-the-field' or 'my favorite is Kyle Mills because McGrath's dad wasn't a Kiwi' makes the whole thing a joke...
I think you're playing a different game here to everyone else tbh.

_Ed_

Haha this. Pretty frustrating stuff. Will stop even trying now because nothing is getting through.
Good idea.

Am intrigued as to why people's opinions will magically become credible if their choice is restricted to 'great' players, though.

Zinzan

Incredible that some people in this thread seem to have no idea what 'favourite' means.

adjective
1. appealing to the general public; "a favorite tourist attraction" [syn: favorite]
2. preferred above all others and treated with partiality; "the favored child" [syn: favored]

Bias is inherent in having a favourite!!!

**** if people had it their way the final should just be Bradman vs. Sobers or WG Grace, and let's be done with it.

So many examples on this forum where people's favourite cricketers are journeyman, battlers or people they like for reasons that have nothing to do with ability (Nicky Boje for me :cool: ).
Lol, give the dude (welldone) a break ffs, it's his opinion & his take on it, live with it. This is about your 5th reply on the matter now.

BTW Bond for me by a country mile

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was living with his opinion, I wasn't living with him forcing his opinion on others.

Anyway I and others already said we'd stop, until you needlessly quoted me tbh.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I was living with his opinion, I wasn't living with him forcing his opinion on others.
I didn't. I just quoted the reason why I voted for Border over Sehwag, and you guys started all your attempts to prove me wrong.

On a second thought, I guess the difference in opinion came from my point of view of watching cricket. I have always appreciated good cricket and good cricketers and all the greatest cricketers have been my favorites too. I have always loved a Kallis more than an Afridi, or a Dravid more than a Yuvraj. I have always loved Sachin for the way he plays, and loved McGrath, Donald, Wasim or Murali because they were good enough to sometimes cause problems to my favorite batsman (didn't hate them for that! NO!). For me, good cricket, good sportmanship, qualities as a team player etc have been the reasons for liking cricketers. So, that was my view. I agree for someone else, the reasons could be entirely different (like pink shirts, 5 minute chats, nationality, contact lenses etc etc); so they are definitely entitled to vote according to those reasons...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Have to wonder why he's following the thread if he has no interest in the concept. :huh:
Simple. Because I won't like someone like Ntini or Vettori to be quoted in all the other threads as CW's favorite cricketer decided by open-to-all voting (and people posting links of this thread 5 years down the line to show how Shakib was once the 7th most favorite cricketer of ALL-TIME decided by CW members).

It doesn't require rocket science to understand why I'm following this thread in spite of not liking the concept behind it, does it?

Last edited: