• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook steps down as England captain

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but they relegated Durham for being a financial basketcase. That obviously makes them scum.
They relegated Durham and burdened them other ridiculous punishments like huge point deductions and other restrictions because the ECB put them in that financial position. Then made it perfectly fine for real financial basketcases like Hampscum who are propped up by a complete dickhead of a sugar daddy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"Hamp****e" works so much better too.

Broad as skipper could be entertaining, definitely has the potential to rival Lord Jardine of Mumbai and Sir Raymond of Illingworth in the England captains down under popularity stakes, but bowlers as captains don't really tend to go so well unless, like Imran and Benaud, they're more all-rounders than Chris jr approximates nowadays.

Pothas

I like Hampscum, going to use it this season, especially if Abbott is taking loads of wickets for us.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Broad?Really? Come on, Let's be serious..We all know the mighty Yorkshire keeps the national team afloat..JR all the way

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Interviewing captaincy candidates is a fool proof plan that never resulted in problems. Other than Rossco and McCullum of course. Ffs make a decision yourselves without a public parade.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Broad?Really? Come on, Let's be serious..We all know the mighty Yorkshire keeps the national team afloat..JR all the way
The glory days of 2009-2012 featured precisely 0 Yorkshiremen as regulars.

In fact it's since the emergence of Joe Root and his Yorkshire team mates that the national team has gone downhill.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Glory? Who what where?
Beat Aus in Aus, whitewashed India at home and then beat them away and were (albeit briefly) the No1 test side in the world.......probably the most successful period since I've been watching English cricket.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Beat Aus in Aus, whitewashed India at home and then beat them away and were (albeit briefly) the No1 test side in the world.......probably the most successful period since I've been watching English cricket.
Yeah, yeah, but apart from that what did 2009-2012 ever do for us?

Beyond that, I could cope with Broad as captain for a couple of years.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
The glory days of 2009-2012 featured precisely 0 Yorkshiremen as regulars.

In fact it's since the emergence of Joe Root and his Yorkshire team mates that the national team has gone downhill.
past is the past, I am talking about now..we cant all live in the past..

Scaly piscine

"Hamp****e" works so much better too.

Broad as skipper could be entertaining, definitely has the potential to rival Lord Jardine of Mumbai and Sir Raymond of Illingworth in the England captains down under popularity stakes, but bowlers as captains don't really tend to go so well unless, like Imran and Benaud, they're more all-rounders than Chris jr approximates nowadays.
****e implies they're merely crap without the emphasis on them being detestable vermin.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a regular.
Hmmmm, grant you he was in and out of the side a little, but he played 18 of his 23 tests during the period we're talking about. Also gunned it in 2 out of the 3 series that made this 4 years so special.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Cook is sort of Strauss-lite. They were both posh establishment types who played bat heavy accumulative cricket. Strauss was better though. I do not think Cook was a particularly good captain really. At best he was serviceable.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Cook is sort of Strauss-lite. They were both posh establishment types who played bat heavy accumulative cricket. Strauss was better though. I do not think Cook was a particularly good captain really. At best he was serviceable.
do you have a problem with 'posh' people?