• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook steps down as England captain

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
after that last series I sure hope Root follows in the lead of Cook and Strauss and now never ever plays T20 for england again

Bijed

International Regular
I think it's the right move, with his comments before the India tour heavily suggesting he didn't really want to be doing it any more. Presumably Root gets given the job, which I'm fine with.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Really not going to help Roots massive problem of converting 50s into big scores/match winning ones.

Bayliss has made the test side go backwards. So I dunno really what will happen next.

Ashes are scary tbh.

Reactions: FBU

Spark

Global Moderator
Really not going to help Roots massive problem of converting 50s into big scores/match winning ones.

Bayliss has made the test side go backwards. So I dunno really what will happen next.

Ashes are scary tbh.
Don't know why you would assume this tbh.

OverratedSanity

Obviously wanted to avoid the South Africa jinx.

Will be interesting to see how Root handles it. If anything I think the extra responsibility might give him the kick up the arse he needs to stop throwing away big scores.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Don't know why you would assume this tbh.
Just heaps further pressure onto someone who isn't ready to captain a test side. He's captained less than others in the side.

We've made that mistake in the past of dropping captaincy onto Flintoff and KP.

I know Root isn't as big of a helmet as both of them.

But with the test team in a bit of a dissarray which I will blame Bayliss and selectors for. Before I go attacking cook like plenty do.

This is gonna be a tough transition period. Just hope cook gets back to his best and shoves that average well into the 50s.

Compton

International Debutant
Nah, Root definitely seems the type to really kick on with his batting once he's named captain.

Burgey

Been a damn fine servant of English cricket, Al Cook. Hope he stays in the side and scores runs.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, Root definitely seems the type to really kick on with his batting once he's named captain.
Yeah exactly. For example, Clarke's freakish period where he turned starts into enormous scores very reliably really only started once he got the captaincy. Ponting got a big boost too.

Bijed

International Regular
Obviously we don't know what effect the captaincy will have on Root's batting, but with OS and Compton I'm of the opinion that it could well be what finally focusses him enough to start really making the most of his talent. I think (read hope) that Cook's batting will improve too, as I think the signs have been for a while that he's at a stage where he can no longer have added responsibility and perform at his best. A career average of 50 isn't happening now, but here's hoping he can push up towards it.

As for the captaincy itself, no idea how Root will go. Good chance of being >= Cook, though (ftr I think Cook's captaincy was fine on the whole)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So the blatantly obvious decision has finally been made. How long before they announce the new captain? 4 months maybe?

flibbertyjibber

Obviously going to happen, thanks for the great series wins in India and South Africa and a couple of ashes victories. Now get on with breaking Tendulkar's run record.

Good luck to Root, has the makings of a decent side there just need to put it together more often and at least from his point of view he won't have many tours to Asia in the coming few years.