• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

9th Match - New Zealand v England

Who will win this match?

• New Zealand

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • England

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howe_zat

Audio File
England have a good schedule. Getting to play the two most in-form sides in their own conditions, who are also the only sides we have a losing record to over the last few years, ensures the best possible start to the tournament.

It's no good to hit the ground running in a world cup with this vast a fixture list. How can anyone be said to be 'due' if your players keep producing assured, confident performances? Ideally you want to hit the ground flopping uselessly, hopefully at some speed and spraining a limb in the process.

I'd like to see England produce a distinctly ordinary all-round display and lose by about 80 runs. So long as that happens I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that we're taking the trophy home.
England far exceeded expectations today. They hit the ground in such a sickening heap that several limbs may have been broken. It's the only way forward.

Spark

Global Moderator
Couldn't do any worse than this bunch of amateurs. The state of English cricket sometimes beggars belief really. This was a throwback to last year's ashes when you wake up fearing the worst and find out that our useless tossers have actually done even worse than anyone thought possible.

Apparently it was moving around a bit, so was it really expecting too much of Anderson and Broad to show up?
And obviously Finn just needs to **** off and learn how to bowl. Probably needs to leave Middlesex, for someone like Yorkshire or Durham who actually know how to develop quicks.

No doubt Moores will get slaughtered again (really classy by Collingwood the other day btw) but what on earth is he supposed to do with the sort of dross that our wonderful county system produces?

Oh, and good job they replaced Cook. Clearly that's made so much difference.
Yes, clearly the bowlers are to blame for failing to defend 120. That's clearly the major takeaway from this game.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Couldn't do any worse than this bunch of amateurs. The state of English cricket sometimes beggars belief really. This was a throwback to last year's ashes when you wake up fearing the worst and find out that our useless tossers have actually done even worse than anyone thought possible.

Apparently it was moving around a bit, so was it really expecting too much of Anderson and Broad to show up?
And obviously Finn just needs to **** off and learn how to bowl. Probably needs to leave Middlesex, for someone like Yorkshire or Durham who actually know how to develop quicks.

No doubt Moores will get slaughtered again (really classy by Collingwood the other day btw) but what on earth is he supposed to do with the sort of dross that our wonderful county system produces?

Oh, and good job they replaced Cook. Clearly that's made so much difference.
firstly, we dont want him he's **** and secondly, Moores is awful and will be soon replaced by Farbrace as per the plan...

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Did you not watch the recent tri series??? If they ban Eng from ODI's then India (and Kohli) have to go first ****.
I remember when the most mediocre of English teams(thanks to Collingwood mostly) beat the WC winning Australian team in the tri-series in 2007 and that series was just before the WC.
This recently concluded tri-series is anything but a glorified warm up tournament tbh.Usually England excel when it doesnt really count.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
The official ODI rankings must have a fair bit of lag time built in. We're still behind Sri Lanka and only a few points ahead of England.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The official ODI rankings must have a fair bit of lag time built in. We're still behind Sri Lanka and only a few points ahead of England.
Na they're up to date. We were tied with England yesterday.

We've just had a long road back up the rankings since we were 9th after the Bangers whitewash.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Yeah, forgot that we're coming up from a very low nadir. Still, I'd back us to beat India most times home or away and they're ranked 2nd.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The fact England could come out and say they were surprised by the swing in NZ is slightly baffling. The fact they could then come out, after seeing it swing, and bowl so many deliveries so short makes you wonder if anyone had so much as a single thought at any time during the innings.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact England could come out and say they were surprised by the swing in NZ is slightly baffling. The fact they could then come out, after seeing it swing, and bowl so many deliveries so short makes you wonder if anyone had so much as a single thought at any time during the innings.
The thing that got me was Southee swung it round corners at one end, Boult hardly at all the other and is arguably a more genuine swing bowler than Tim...yet Anderson, England's biggest weapon, opened at the end Boult bowled at.

And Stuart Broad deserves all the ****e Warne is giving him. Claims to love the banter and the heat he gets from Aussie crowds etc, but is an absolute puss with the bat. Genuine No.11 v any sort of decent pace - even Chris Martin at least got in line and tried to bat for his partner. Not Stuey.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Broad still worried about the foot that Johnson crushed, I guess.
Yeah, this is a very recent thing with Broad. This is man who scored a Test 169 against an attack featuring Amir and Wahab, and looked every inch a batsman throughout the whole innings. Now I know the integrity of that entire game is under suspicion, but that doesn't change the fact that they bowled quick and swung the ball late. Johnson has really, really got inside Broad's head, and it's been a lasting effect -- either because he's not fully healed from an injury yet or because he's just mentally shot now. He's shown little to no application with the bat for a while now, but when the ball beat his outside edge and yet still managed to go over middle and leg against Boult, it finally dawned on me that there was something seriously wrong.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Broad still worried about the foot that Johnson crushed, I guess.
Quite possibly. But this is a guy who gets paid handsomely for what he does - and to bat at 8-9, as he does and has, requires him to offer a hell of a lot more than he does. The best facilities, resources, and some coaches (won't call them the best) are available to him. Hell, pick up the phone and get Gatt on the line and ask him how he recovered from having his face rearranged, literally, by Marshall.

This is a knobby thing to say but I've had my cheekbone fractured and dislocated by a beamer, and yeah it's hard coming back. But you work on it. Start with tennis balls, incredi-balls, firing the bowling machine to 150km wide so you can't get hit, and get the timing for hitting a quick ball back. There's really no excuse for a full-time international player. So if he comes in with 10 to win in an Ashes Test, and Johnson/Starc are both bowling 150 clicks, he's just going to run away and his fans are to console themselves that it's just how he bats nowadays?