• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

9th Match - New Zealand v England

Who will win this match?

• New Zealand

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • England

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
root ain't an international opener. he should not be considered for that role.
Root is easily technically good enough to handle opening at ODI level. I'd give him a much better chance of seeing off a good new ball attack than the like of Hales...that's for sure.

GGG

State Captain
Most of the English players in combined team under Hesson and McCullum would probably go all right. They also faced Southee on a day where he got the ball to talk, I think every team would of struggled on that day. Definitely not a true reflection of their players.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The thing that got me was Southee swung it round corners at one end, Boult hardly at all the other and is arguably a more genuine swing bowler than Tim...yet Anderson, England's biggest weapon, opened at the end Boult bowled at.
Haha yeah. Jimnmy's decision you'd think though?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, this is a very recent thing with Broad. This is man who scored a Test 169 against an attack featuring Amir and Wahab, and looked every inch a batsman throughout the whole innings. Now I know the integrity of that entire game is under suspicion, but that doesn't change the fact that they bowled quick and swung the ball late. Johnson has really, really got inside Broad's head, and it's been a lasting effect -- either because he's not fully healed from an injury yet or because he's just mentally shot now. He's shown little to no application with the bat for a while now, but when the ball beat his outside edge and yet still managed to go over middle and leg against Boult, it finally dawned on me that there was something seriously wrong.
Yep. Though he kept getting too far inside the line of the ball against Mitch and getting his leg stump knocked off. Now he's backing away.

Whether its because of his injury or lack of confidence etc. its still soft. Playing for your country, get in line.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah David - this England team is stacked with decent players. In my opinion, they made a mistake going back to Moores and should have made a new appointment of some fresh blood to bring in some new views and perspectives. Moores was always a retrograde step IMO. No substantial signs of improvement from a pretty woeful nadir at the end of Flower's spell at the helm. Also, England in general need to be less easily swayed by tabloid headlines, not that they've done themselves any favours in that regard.

And I think they have taken the coach's role little too seriously now.. AT the end of the day, the coach and the support staff are called that for a reason.. They are supposed to support and help the main guys (the players) play to the best of their abilities... When these guys start thinking they are the stars and try to run the show, this happens.. I wonder how it will go if someone like a Cook or a Morgan actually got a team to be built on how they want to play their cricket, instead of how the coaching staff tell them to play...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha yeah. Jimnmy's decision you'd think though?
Yeah totally, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't. Might've turned up to the ground and decided that was his end.

England looks way too bogged down in process and not thinking for itself. Our structure is getting the best out of us - plan well, work hard in the nets, know what the opposition does, then let it come naturally out in the middle and back yourself, because the coach/captain and rest of the team will.

To think fielders used to have to apologise for dropping catches. **** me.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
On current form, reckon only Bell and Anderson would make it (expense of Guptill and Milne). Maybe Root for Elliott but Elliott is a gun underrated bowler...but I guess you have Williamson as well.

On their careers throw Broad in for Boult and def Root for Elliott and that's about it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I thought Boult got enough shape. Nasser talked loads before the game how you want to bring the ball back into McCullum and Jimmy is the only bowler in our side who could do that, so maybe they thought that was the best end to do it.