• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Shady Slim

International Coach
Djokovic arrested now

Seems he's being accused of either faking his positive covid test, or still going to public events the day after he tested positive.

Whichever one, that's all on him. Pretty stupid.
it could also just be the government intends to deport him again but follow the correct statutory procedure for doing so

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
where are you seeing this? all i saw was that the ****er won his visa appeal and will stay in australia...which is pretty much what i expected...

Shady Slim

International Coach
where are you seeing this? all i saw was that the ****er won his visa appeal and will stay in australia...which is pretty much what i expected...
was doing the rounds on twitter about him being rearrested

essentially challenging a minister’s decision (“judicial review”), generally you can only have the minister’s decision set aside rather than have it decided affirmatively in your favour if that makes sense? so here the government failed to provide novak with the (incredibly scant, which goes to show how badly they’ve ballsed this) procedural fairness the migration act requires they provide him. meaning, they can just do it all again but provide him the right procedural fairness and they win

Niall

International Coach
Saba broke 9 times today, hit 21 double faults and topped it off with 61 unforced errors against the immense erm Rebecca Peterson and yes obviously lost. :laugh:

Niall

International Coach
@Niall why are you so fixated on her? there are so many other, better long term prospects on the women's tour...:)
Bet her to win grand slams only to watch her bomb her way of court so always keep an eye, those 2 last results ****ing hell never seen ought like it from such a highly ranked tennis player who has such power . She doesn't endear herself to many which I suppose is due to a rather one dimensional ball bashing game topped of with scowling no matter the scenario. Fernandez had a lot with the crowd in their match v her.

She will put it together today as she is still pretty young and seems to have a good all round game for any surface.

Not much to say about the men's tour is their sadly.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it was just a delay to the draw, but it sounds like that's happened now anyway, so I don't even know.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Visa revoked again by Hawke. I guess now they either show a bit of humility and go home or seek out another procedural technicality to appeal under.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Visa revoked again by Hawke. I guess now they either show a bit of humility and go home or seek out another procedural technicality to appeal under.
i hate to be that nark but don’t call it a technicality brother!!

administrative law is one of if not the most crucial areas of law in terms of ensuring that the executive government can’t just do whatever they want, and though the executive government often changes these laws when they are on the bum side of a judicial review decision they don’t like, judicial review is pretty much the only thing stopping the australian government from this instant and moment deporting every single brown person in the country

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Okay, I withdraw the exact wording I used if it’s offensive to anyone (or indeed just legally inaccurate), but his visa was reinstated only because officials didn’t follow the correct procedure, and they can now either go home or challenge on the same basis if they can find a case.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The fact is there seems a chance Novak could be seen to have broken the law too, it really is battle of the conceited ***** used to getting their own way, hard to pick a side, but just glad both are coming out of it smelling like ****.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The fact is there seems a chance Novak could be seen to have broken the law too, it really is battle of the conceited ***** used to getting their own way, hard to pick a side, but just glad both are coming out of it smelling like ****.
Yeah, pretty much how I feel.

Instinctively one's on the side of the little guy, but in this instance he's an entitled multimillionaire anti-vaxxer **** who, by his own admission didn't isolate after a positive test and then, to be charitable, at the very least gave inaccurate information on his visa application.

Part of me admires Hawke making a decision right at COP on Friday when the out of offices were set though; top pettiness.

Niall

International Coach
Very messy really, but as I have money on FAA to win this its acceptable.

Now just need Zverev, Nadal, Shapo, Berre',, Rublev, Sinner Karatsev the Aussie beast, and obviously Medvedev deported and might have a chance of getting this bet up :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
if he accepts the ruling and is deported, it's not just for this year, he can't re-enter australia for 3 years...so it's a big deal for the ****er and his team...

Niall

International Coach
Yeah this isn't great, I understand because its Novak nobody cares but if he has entered with a valid medical exemption throwing him out for these reasons are really really flimsy.

The Australian government says the presence of Novak Djokovic throughout the two weeks of the Australian Open may put lives and civil order at risk by increasing anti-vax sentiment and disregard for COVID-19 rules.

In a radical reframing of the case against the Serbian tennis star, Immigration Minister Alex Hawke concedes the unvaccinated Djokovic entered Australia with a valid medical exemption and poses a low risk of contracting the virus while in Australia and passing it on to others due to his recent infection.

The furious debate that had engulfed Djokovic for the past 10 days – whether a recent bout of COVID-19 provided him with a genuine exemption to travel to Australia without being vaccinated – has been abandoned by the government without Mr Hawke even reading Djokovic’s extensive submissions on the question.

Last edited:

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Disagree with vaccine mandates generally, and I say that as someone who is vaccinated but at least from my personal view (I'm not in Australia and haven't had to live with closed borders - not that I go holidaying anyway) it seems a lose-lose situation.

I'd personally have Djokovic in the Australian Open but it makes a mockery of a player not being allowed in due to having the wrong type of vaccine ( Natalia Vikhlyantseva - Sputnik). Also Sandgren not at the event due to non-vaccination it does speak of one rule for Djokovic and one rule for others. Although worth noting that Sandgren has said Djokovic should be allowed to play.

But the idea that Djokovic being in Australia is going to spur anti-vaccine sentiment I think is interesting. Without the mandate we wouldn't know if Djokovic had changed his mind re vaccination and non tennis fans wouldn't know of his past comments on the subject. Immigration minister accepts he "poses a negligible threat of infecting others" - kicking him out the country in spite of that is only further ammunition to those who argue its not about health but control.