• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What a rancid umpiring decision to cost Scotland the match and qualification :(.

Also, the World Cup should be 12 teams - not a fan of a 10-team tournament at all.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbf Berrington was scoring more slowly than Leask. Probably would have been 2-3 runs below anyway
This is a good point. I was rooting for Scotland but I think they would have been behind irrespective of the decision. It was very much a South Africa moment.

cnerd123

likes this
The mistake we all make is to think that the ICC cares about world cricket.

They aren't an independent body. They're made up of all the full member boards. Their goal is to serve themselves. And they, for some reason, think that expanding the game around the world would take money away from them. Either directly by having to put money towards it, or because we'll somehow steal their TV deals.

It's archaic, selfish, self serving thinking, and it's really disgusting how the world cricket community has enable people like that to be in control. It's not just their greed, is the greed of everyone below who appointed them.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The mistake we all make is to think that the ICC cares about world cricket.

They aren't an independent body. They're made up of all the full member boards.
Exactly. I believe none of the BOD slots are allowed to be taken by someone who is not either associated with the ICC or one of its members.

As a result of that you have a board that is made up of not only individuals from only full members, but in most cases those individuals are also the presidents/chairmen of their countries boards. The same director is expected to make decisions based on his fiduciary duty to the ICC to promote international cricket and at the same time make decisions in the interest of his own board.

And then somehow this board is supposed to work together and make decisions in the interest of all 105 members of the ICC?

Just plain awful corporate governance.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Historically speaking the ICC was never set up to be an independent body. England, Australia and South Africa got together to form a body that existed to arrange cricket between the three of them and called it the Imperial Cricket Conference. Over time they have changed the name and welcomed more members in, but it's always been a self-serving institution that exists to serve it's board members.

Cricket has no independent governance, no legal framework anyone has to abide to. It's just the big players doing what they want and the smaller members jumping through their hoops in hopes for a handout. And it will never change, because the second an independent cricket council tries to call the BCCI up on a violation, the BCCI will pick up it's bat, stumps and ball and go home. No money for anybody. And they wouldn't risk that. Because Money matters more than Integrity, and rather than try and make ends meet without relying on the BCCI, they would rather suck on the BCCI teat.

It all stems from when they realised how lucrative the Indian market was. All these boards planned these big budgets and expenses around this income they were now suddenly going to get from the Indian market, and it worked for a while until the BCCI wisened up and realised they have a leveraging tool. Now they run world cricket, and all these boards have started spending so much -what with inflated salaries, failed grassroots programs, and expensive changes to infrastructure and domestic cricket- that if this supply of cash is cut off they'll go bankrupt.

Bad, greedy, short-term leadership has led to a situation where the only way to survive is even more bad, greedy, short term leadership.

And you can't even say the ICC has failed world cricket, because they never set out to protect world cricket to begin with. It was all for their own self interests.

It's such a mess.

Daemon

I wouldn't go to that extent. I don't think the BCCI is as powerful as most people believe. They were outvoted 9-1 on revenue distribution recently and had no choice but to suck it up.

cnerd123

likes this
tbf the BCCI is doing more to save World Cricket than most. The IPL gave players a chance at making a real living at cricket. They broadcast their domestic cricket in a way that's more accessible than most nations. They play a ton of Tests. They gave Afghanistan a base to train in. They're not totally terrible.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well what can I say? A LOT of people are breathing a big sigh of relief today because If we had lost that game, then all hell would have broken loose within our cricket and head would have most certainly rolled. The team itself were pretty substandard In the most part. They looked so lacksidasical In so many of the games and consistently played down to their opposition. The one time they really done themselves justice was ironically In the toughest game against Zimbabwe, In most of the others, it was average at best.

Hopefully most of this side don't travel to England for the world cup, otherwise we'll be heading home very early. Gayle looks finished to me, Hetty needs to calm the hell down and be more intelligent at the crease, Hope dropped too many catches but batted Ok, Lewis done fine, Paul was sensational, Holder done well but his captaincy is shambolic, Roach was class but the spinners were trash.

Hope to see Blackwood, Chase and maybe Darren Bravo (If he can be bothered) brought back into the team along with Cornwall and maybe Reifer. All In all it seems like fate was on our side and we can only thank the heavens above for carrying us across the line.

morgieb

Spot on, *****

I'm still looking forward to the 2019 Champions Trophy... er, I mean World Cup ��
This is what pisses me off the most about the World Cup change.

If the CT didn't exist I wouldn't be particularly happy with the change in World Cup tack but I could at least kinda live with it - and tbf I think T20's would be a more suited format to a larger World Cup due to the shorter time and according randomness - but right now there's little difference between the CT and the WC. Very disappointing.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tbf the BCCI is doing more to save World Cricket than most. The IPL gave players a chance at making a real living at cricket. They broadcast their domestic cricket in a way that's more accessible than most nations. They play a ton of Tests. They gave Afghanistan a base to train in. They're not totally terrible.
The BCCI is only hated because of the glory of the IPL, prove me wrong.

flibbertyjibber

Safe to say that WW can NEVER again slag off umpires giving decisions to a bigger team as his side were on the right side of one of the worst decisions ever to get them through there.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Rain stopped play in Harare. If this is washed out, tomorrow's winners go ahead of Zim.

Last edited: