• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hate their personality, love their game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Disagree. Firstly, psychological issues means we cannot blame the person in question like we would if there were no such issues for instance. If some one was hit on the head and can't take care of his family any more, should we blame him? The rage issues which happen after taking pain reducers is well known.

Secondly, I don't agree that WWF should hide Benoit:s achievements from the website. They shouldn't show him in glory promos obviously but he can have a bio on the website with information given that he died after killing his wife and child etc. Brushing things under the carpet is a bit kiddish in this age when people can google every thing.

They do it more for their image as it makes WWE looks bad more than any thing. Disguising it as 'responsibility for actions' and such moral high grounds is a bit rich.

Benoit was my favourite wrestler and it's difficult to come to terms the way it all ended even though many years have passed. Such a tragic event.
For his wife and son.

WWE are quite correct to airbrush the history of a double murderer from their records.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Some time ago, my parents were in Milan and my Mum shared a lift with Becks

Cut a long story short, he had breakfast with them and later had a signed jersey delivered to their room for my son

Say what you like about him as a footballer but that was going above and beyond
So by generational progression Social jnr will be going out for dinner with celebrities?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For his wife and son.

WWE are quite correct to airbrush the history of a double murderer from their records.
You're definitely right. But WWE aren't consistent about this at all. You know with Carlos Colon and Snuka being in the hall and everything...

The key difference being that they got away with it, but still.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he is an alright bloke actually but it is the whole pandering to the media thing.
In his own way, he is very smart and both he & his wife have made a fortune by keeping the majority of media/fans in their corner

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wayne Carey. Genuinely dislikable bloke but fmd what a player.

Cameron Smith. Amazing player considering he admits himself to having the body of a chartered accountant. To combine that with simultaneously being the game's best referee is quite an effort.
Yeah, was coming back in to post about Carey. Disgrace he has a role in the media after all that's gone on.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Nah, this is poor
The end goal of the amazing boxer is to incapacitate his opponent for the thrill of it. I find that a despicable pursuit, even though both participants agree that that's something they want to do.

Goes for any sport where you can win by knockout ftr. Wrestling is less troubling to me, at least there they have negotiated going in who does what and who gets hurt.

vcs

The end goal of the amazing boxer is to incapacitate his opponent for the thrill of it. I find that a despicable pursuit, even though both participants agree that that's something they want to do.

Goes for any sport where you can win by knockout ftr. Wrestling is less troubling to me, at least there they have negotiated going in who does what and who gets hurt.
There's a good argument to outlaw any sport where you can end up with Parkinson's disease.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
There's a good argument to outlaw any sport where you can end up with Parkinson's disease.
I wouldn't blanket ban boxing though, I don't think the law is a good instrument to handle it (having lived in a jurisdiction where it was banned but still accepted by a large section of the population) and I accept that some people just want to bash and get bashed.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
What exactly is wrong with that?
Nothing, but if I was in his shoes I'd have preferred to be remembered as just the (highly paid) footballer without all of the marketing and showmanship bollocks, but then that is just me.

Uppercut

This attitude pokes my dormant libertarian sensibilities. Just let me be self-destructive if I want to, I'm gonna ****ing die anyway.

Uppercut

Any examples of the opposite? Particularly likable sportspeople that are absolutely unwatchable? Ed Cowan comes to mind but I'm sure there are better examples.

Bijed

International Regular
Any examples of the opposite? Particularly likable sportspeople that are absolutely unwatchable? Ed Cowan comes to mind but I'm sure there are better examples.
Similar kind of thing with Chris Rogers I'd say. Absolutely unwatchable would be an exaggeration of course, but he's hardly Mark Waugh and I thought he always came across as a really nice guy

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ed Smith of similar ilk, although his test career was so brief I barely recall it now so it's maybe hard to call him unwatchable.

Niall Quinn always seems a good chap and, whilst not unwatchable, his early days at the Arse definitely had a "Bambi on ice" quality. He made the beautiful game look very difficult.