• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Sanga?

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
That isn't really a fair comparison though. You can say that Misbah is pretty much still at his best at 40. He started off very late (aftre his initial run)

anil1405

International Captain
'As long as they could' involves several parameters....some players might believe they could give their all till they turn 40 for others it might be 35 or maybe less than that.

Gilchrist talks about one drop catch which has influenced his decision to retire from the game. Who knows, maybe even Sanga feels the same way that his body isn't supporting him after 15 years of international cricket or whatever reason. Maybe he knows he is in his final stages of his career and hence giving it his all before he retires.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I probably couldn't express myself well.

All I meant to say in the last page is that I have immense respect for players like Ponting, Misbah etc. who gave their all for as long as they could. I can't praise players like Greg Chappell for the same reason. That's all I've tried to say on this subject. Maybe I couldn't express myself properly.

We don''t really know that though, that is the point... Sachin, Ponting, Gilchrist, Hayden and a few others have all played on in T20 competitions after their retirements... We really honestly do not know if they carried on till they absolutely could... Even though they may have retired at an elder age than say someone who is retiring at 37, there is no guarantee that they went on till they "could" and that the guy who retired at 37 retired while he still "could"... You are just assuming based on age and your own opinion neither of which makes sense when trying to objectively analyze someone's career....

Flem274*

123/5
You can only really tell whether someone retired too early for the team in retrospect.

Someone could play until they were 40 and hold back a younger man who would have excelled for 5 years if the former had retired at 35, or someone could retire at 35 and their position isn't filled for another 5-10 years because there isn't the depth.

The thing is you don't know until it has happened. There are always 20-25 year olds in domestic cricket scoring runs, but you have no idea if they're the next Ponting or the next Rohit until 10-20-30 tests down the track. Players who decide at whatever age that it's time to go shouldn't have to play guessing games like we do in young player threads before they tell their team and coach that they want to stay home.

I don't care if someone retires at 29. If I like watching them or they were important to the team it would be gutting but it's their decision and it can only be influenced by things important to them, like family or motivation or whatever.

Singh Is King

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This debate is such a non starter. To play at the level Sachin did for that long is something almost unheard of in ANY sport, let alone a game like cricket.
Plus look at the bowlers tendulkar played against in the 90s and his records from it! Compare that to the bowlers Sanga has always faced and its silly.

you cannot put Sanga on the pedestal that Sachin is on. There is a reason why every pundit and ex-player whos played against Sachin as the best or 2nd best after the Don. Hell even Don Bradman said it himself who are we to argue lol!

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
This debate is such a non starter. To play at the level Sachin did for that long is something almost unheard of in ANY sport, let alone a game like cricket.
Plus look at the bowlers tendulkar played against in the 90s and his records from it! Compare that to the bowlers Sanga has always faced and its silly.

you cannot put Sanga on the pedestal that Sachin is on. There is a reason why every pundit and ex-player whos played against Sachin as the best or 2nd best after the Don. Hell even Don Bradman said it himself who are we to argue lol!
He actually said Tendulkar reminded him of his own batting, e.g the way they played their strokes. Think there was a comparison on Richie's Greatest XI. Also I think it was actually Jesse who mentioned the similarity to her hubby.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Poor Chanderpaul. Been playing for almost as long and no one notices

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
would have liked BMac to win it (from a NZ point of view) but it would have been an injustice if Sanga didn't win. His year was twice as good as McCullum's

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The one point which many people on here against Sanga that he's "robotic" or doesn't have much flair, I just can't believe that at all. The guy's batting is pure *** for the eyes and I'll be watching his innings on YouTube years from now, that I can guarantee. People who can't see the aesthetic quality of his batting must be some jaded ****s.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He's as complete as it gets for a modern batsman, IMO. Behind Sachin only just by sheer weight of runs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The one point which many people on here against Sanga that he's "robotic" or doesn't have much flair, I just can't believe that at all. The guy's batting is pure *** for the eyes and I'll be watching his innings on YouTube years from now, that I can guarantee. People who can't see the aesthetic quality of his batting must be some jaded ****s.
Agree