• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - New Zealand v South Africa (24th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
hmmm nah just as hard tbh. cbf working out the asking rate but with what we had (297 in 43) if SA scored 350 in an alternate universe i'd be seriously considering taking the extra 53 runs for an extra 7 overs.

in the end 300 from 43 was a fair ask and you back yourself to win a game if you have that total behind you most days.
It's 53 off 7 overs without losing a wicket though. To put things differently, would you have backed them to get that 53 off 7, after that Steyn over? I know it's different and everything, because you'd have planned the chase differently, but I'd always be inclined to think the longer chase is harder.

Days of Grace

International Captain
What a match!

Not much to say, for words won't do it justice, but this match shows us just how brutal and beautiful not just cricket but every sport can be. You can come so close to winning and yet defeat by the smallest of margins can shatter you for ages. Momentum can be such a bitch - who knows what would have happened if the rain hadn't arrived? The fact that the game had so many rapid twists and turns must make the victory for New Zealand that much sweeter, and conversely the defeat for SA that much heartbreaking.

SA, along with NZ and Australia are my favourite teams. Am really happy for New Zealand but at the same time crushed by this defeat too. When they cried after Elliott's six, their passion and commitment to prove everyone wrong and to really get over the line and win this world cup was evident. Really classy post-match interview by AB too. Yes they've lost but this is as good a world cup showing as a team can hope for - they have proved their doubters wrong (they almost pulled off an anti-choke ffs), although the doubters wil claim otherwise, and shown strength and a lot of a courage. Likewise, NZ hung in and pulled off one of the ballsiest chases in WC history. What a set of brave and likeable guys both these teams consist of. They are my heroes and win or lose they are a great source of inspiration in my life, and that's what matters to me.

I think we should realize just how ****ing hard it is to win a World Cup. You can have one of the best players ever in your team, have a really good fielding/bowling day, do ****loads of things right and still lose because there was a team who wanted the win in equal measure and were lucky enough it was their day. That's hard luck, but it doesn't make your performance any less and I'm sure in the coming years people will acknowledge what an epic match this was.

This is sport, guys. It hurts, but it can be the sweetest thing too and more importantly it brings us all closer together.
This post is almost as epic as the game was. Well said.

NickDB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So that's what losing vs choking feels like. Am gutted but proud of my team. Were beaten on the day by the better team.

Without doubt one of the best matches I've ever seen.

Well done Black Caps. Take it home now guys!

BeeGee

International Captain
Good game.

The good news is that was the worst fielding performance from NZ in years, and they still managed to win.

Well done lads.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa's News 24 commentators naturally doing it tough, especially since it was Grant Elliott.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good game.

The good news is that was the worst fielding performance from NZ in years, and they still managed to win.

Well done lads.
My thought precisely, plus the needless Guptill run-out. Though we were only at about 50% in the field.

Spark

Global Moderator
My thought precisely, plus the needless Guptill run-out. Though we were only at about 50% in the field.
That's what big match pressure does, tbf. Only the truly great teams manage to consistently put up their absolute best in these situations.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
sa must learn to play with the same side for long periods of time breeds calmness under pressure.

nz deserved this. they have played with more or less the same squid for a long time and showed calmness under pressure

go nz
Yea our squid was the same in almost all games

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I had tears running down my face after Elliott hit that six. So happy.

There were these elderly Indian people behind me who kept elbowing me telling me to sit down after Vettori hit the four though, **** them

Kirkut

International Regular
Beautiful game today. Congrats NZ, but SA played like champs as well. Expecting an equally tough semi final 2.

Niall

International Coach
Understandable people focusing on the South African fielding,but just as big a problem and mistake was dropping Abbot for Philander. Has their been a reason given at all? It was a dire decision as Abbot has been awesome up front and is good at the death,wasn't due to Vern's "batting" was it? if I was South African that is where my anger if I had any would be directed.

Spark

Global Moderator
Completely apropos of nothing, but: "fruit and vegetables must not be taken out of Eden Park" - wat