• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** West Indies in South Africa 2014/15

Quaggas

State Captain
Ive posted about the 2007 semi being a choke so many times recently for sone reason. I consider it a mental collapse because if how sa let Australia's pre match comments affect their game plan. They were called meek and slow and to prove a point they tried to slog McGrath and Lee for sixes every over. Choke maybe the wrong word.... I guess you could call it one of the best examples of letting an opponent's comments get to you. Was a display of total mental fragility imo.
In the group match v SA, Aus put up 377 which I remember thinking was quite impressive despite the small ground. I think SA just thought it better be a huge total for Aus to chase in the SF, but the ultra-aggressive approach backfired. I doubt comments had anything to do with it.

Aus was by far the best team there; those 5min just before the WC when SA held pole position in the ODI rankings were a scheduling fluke.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Another random thought, the performance of the third umpires on this tour was absolutely dreadful. Right from the test matches through to the ODIs, Billy Bowden, Paul Reifer and Steve Davis all made awful judgements based on the same footage that you or I could look at and make an obvious juddgement. The latest of these was the obvious no-ball from Abbott that dismissed Samuels last night. Steve Davis looked at it and somehow made the wrong decision.

How is it possible that professional international umpires can make such errors? Surely these are the worst type of errors and umpires that make them should be severely reprimanded? Reifer for example should have been stood down immediately for the next test such was the stupidity he displayed.

Don't blame DRS, blame idiots like Bowden, Reifer and Davis who aren't even good enough to make the right decision when the evidence is displayed categorically in-front of them.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Watched it all the way to the end and I am still not sure what the kid is dying of
Lol that was my initial thoughts as well, but in the end its rare that 3 of the ATG CRICKET players can go visit one of their fans and not feel forced because he has a threatening disease.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh rubbish.

Australia were unstoppable that World Cup, nobody beat them.

In 1999 and 2011 were in positions where we should have won the game, but not 2007. Please enlighten me how 2007 was a choke.
Because Australia turned up the heat in the media pre-game and South Africa wilted under the pressure. They completely disintegrated mentally and technically. I mean, Smith was dismissing runni g down the wicket trying to smash McGrath onto the next island ffs. No way they play like that if Australia hadn't gotten under their skin.

anil1405

International Captain
Its become a norm to label most South African defeats in WC as a choke even when that's not the case.

akilana

International 12th Man
Because Australia turned up the heat in the media pre-game and South Africa wilted under the pressure. They completely disintegrated mentally and technically. I mean, Smith was dismissing runni g down the wicket trying to smash McGrath onto the next island ffs. No way they play like that if Australia hadn't gotten under their skin.
that was how he played when they were chasing 400 runs a year before.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its become a norm to label most South African defeats in WC as a choke even when that's not the case.
I agree sa get called chokers more often than they should but most of their WC knockout losses are chokes, plain and simple. 99,03,07,2011 all showed lack of mental fortitude.

anil1405

International Captain
Lack of mental fortitude is an apt word to use in this instance (defeat to Aussies in '07 semi final). But to call it a choke is a joke.

Proteas were never in a position to win the game. I consider it a choke if a team is in a position to win the game and then squanders it. That clearly wasn't the case so it sounds a bit premature to me when people call this particular defeat a choke.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lack of mental fortitude is an apt word to use in this instance (defeat to Aussies in '07 semi final). But to call it a choke is a joke.

Proteas were never in a position to win the game. I consider it a choke if a team is in a position to win the game and then squanders it. That clearly wasn't the case so it sounds a bit premature to me when people call this particular defeat a choke.
They weren't in a position to win the game because they choked under the pressure and made 120 or whatever it was.

viriya

International Captain
Was Chanderpaul dropped from the ODI team or did he retire? I suspect he's still good enough to be selected in the team..