• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You're allowed to comment. What you're not allowed to do is to use events in this series as an opportunity to big up WI players or continually point out how much better a certain WI player would be or constantly turn the discussion into a WI discussion in general.

But you already know this, I hope.
Point taken Spark and though yes references to WI have come up once or twice it was more about how India, SL and WI would deal with the conditions with their spinners and also i spoke about NZ's recent good run which just happened to involve the two wins against WI..i don't recall ever going too off topic.

I totally understand what you're saying though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They just did though, a poster who perpetuated it was removed, that poster was also highly well known and an ex moderator, I'd consider that a pretty firm warning shot if the type of **** that's been going on continues.
After about the sixth warning and after the previous ones had been ignored by plenty more posters than just Phlegm. Phlegm deserved to go, but it's tough for the recidivist when the boundaries aren't firmly set up front on warning one.

Blocky

Banned
Look, I think bringing up the whole chucking issue that we're seeing with Hafeez will naturally cause us to think about the Williamsons, the Shillingfords, the Ajmals, etcetera. It's natural to compare cricketers, hell, most of the debates that happen here are variations of "Sangakkara is the best since Bradman" vs " Tendulkar is God and the best since Bradman" vs "Ponting during his pomp was more destructive than Tendulkar" - cricket, like most sports, is all about competition and comparison.

If we can't give each other serves about our cricketing nations then a lot of that goes away, I mean I think I got told in one thread "Go back to the backyard cricket competition that you guys call first class there in NZ" by an Australian, I thought that was hilarious, not something to get sensitive about.

In this case, with the reported actions and also NZ playing so horribly, I'm surprised more people aren't pointing that out considering how many "Is anyone going to say Southee isn't the worlds second best bowler?" or "Ross Taylor has to be in the top three batsman in the world" type posts that have been going out since NZ's golden summer.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I think it's fair to say that Pakistan in the UAE is one of the toughest cricketing assignments at the moment.

I'm not too worried about the result seeing as our batting spine folded on both occasions and we still got around 250, first up, against our weakness of quality spin.

Can't see any way that we're taking 20 Pakistani wickets in either of the remaining fixtures, so a 0-1 series loss is about the best to be hoped for.

Blocky

Banned
After about the sixth warning and after the previous ones had been ignored by plenty more posters than just Phlegm. Phlegm deserved to go, but it's tough for the recidivist when the boundaries aren't firmly set up front on warning one.
Yes, because I firmly believe at the core, the moderators all want people to behave like adults and not cry about small little nothing statements being made by people on a forum. They don't want to have to police the forum, they just feel they have to, which is why they give a lot of grace and lenience - better that in my view than other forums who ban first without question.

Blocky

Banned
I think it's fair to say that Pakistan in the UAE is one of the toughest cricketing assignments at the moment.

I'm not too worried about the result seeing as our batting spine folded on both occasions and we still got around 250, first up, against our weakness of quality spin.

Can't see any way that we're taking 20 Pakistani wickets in either of the remaining fixtures, so a 0-1 series loss is about the best to be hoped for.
Pakistan have always been a team that can knock off any other side, but with Younis, Misbah and Azhar starting to show the type of consistency you saw out of the Indian and Australian sides during their pomp, they'll be dangerous in almost any environment, amazing to think really that they have three world class bowlers out on the sidelines due to match fixing and dodgy actions that they're demolishing sides this easily. I will say though that both Australia and NZ have made it easy by showing no where near the level of patience and application thats required.

Howsie

International Captain
Did you even bother to watch the video? Or the fact that he went 73 per wicket in the test match and bleeded runs like I said he would? You're quoting me out of context but the reality is, my point with Sodhi is that he would offer us nothing in the match ( exception being his batting ) that would change the result of the match and that he relied too heavily on batsman error to take wickets. That remains absolutely true and was seen easily in the test match

The missed chances by Craig? Weren't exactly batsman slogging across the line like they were with Sodhi. Get off his nuts and realise the kid won't be playing for ND in three years, let alone NZ.
Jesus, do you re read what you write? 'He bleed runs like I said he would' How many people actually have to tell you this, nobody expects Sodhi to do well, nobody. I gave you my stance on Sodhi as a player yesterday (something you obvs missed) but every single New Zealand fan expects him to struggle, not just you. The difference between us and you is that we don't go out of our way to diminish what he does achieve with bull****.

If you truely believe you're fair and balanced when it comes to Sodhi (or Guptill, or any other player you have a grudge against) then you're kidding yourself.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
The only thing I have against Ish is the fact that his bowling average is pretty much fifty at domestic, while he leaks runs at around 4 and has been comprehensively outbowled at domestic level by spinners either in his own side or in the opposition.

Your big long hyperbole about Jono Boult is made moot by the fact that Bout averages 5 runs less per wicket and almost an entire run less per over in the same domestic competition as Sodhi.

This continues the long held agenda by NZ Cricket to select a leg spinner even if they're struggling to hold their spot in the ND Line Up - hell, had Sodhi not been plucked from obscurity to become the next Greg Loveridge/Brooke Walker/Tarun Nethula/Todd Astle he'd have been dropped from ND at this point due to how bad he bowls for them.

Yet, I have a chip on my shoulder for pointing out he has no business at test level, and probably none at domestic, and acts far too arrogantly for someone who bowls as **** as he does. I think you've got a chip on your shoulder against people pointing out fact such as "Sodhi has no future in the game" - Do I assume people are idiots if they think Sodhi actually should be playing test cricket? Absolutely. Do I think we're stupid for playing both Sodhi and Craig knowing they'll have no impact on the result? Absolutely.

"Shown more than anyone else" - what, more ability to go for runs and not take wickets while doing it? Tarun Nathula, Brooke Walker, Todd Astle all had better starting stats than he's had. Ish hasn't shown anything except being "The next leg spinner for us to select, persist for a few tests with before realising we have to drop him"

The reality is when you make statements like this, I can't help but assume you don't follow the domestic game that closely, because at domestic level, even guys who are no hopers have had better returns than Sodhi. But we're supposed to believe he's going to develop into something amazing? Why? Because you say so?

"The last investment that NZ made in spin was Vettori" - complete utter ****.

Again, Astle, Loveridge, Nethula, Walker, Patel, - all guys picked young in their careers, where are they now? Only Astle has any chance of coming back into the fold and that's debatable - what's more, all of these guys have statistics that out performed Sodhi at respective points in their careers and continue to do so.

The idea that "Sodhi is the best we've seen since Vettori" is another myth perpetuated by people who clearly do not follow NZ cricket.
Jono Boult is also 28 and bowls, like most in this country, off breaks.. Like I have said before age and bowler type is a factor. If there was a huge gap between Jono Boult's stats and Ish, and by huge I mean difference making, but the fact remains is that Ish is 22 and Jono is 28, and like I stated earlier Ish's ceiling would appear to be far higher given the fact that he is performing the hardest job in cricket atm, in a country thats notoriously useless at managing leg spinners. These are all factors.

Do I think Ish got thrown in Tests too early? Yes. Do I think he needs far more First Class cricket and consistent seasons to be a regular? Absolutely. It's the fact you make it seem like this is all his own doing, when he's doing the best he can (dare I mention it again, he's only 22 and a leggie. The learning experience is the steepest in cricket IMO, due the the complete lack of resources/knowledge and also the glut of limited over cricket where containing is the key).

I'm not gonna go into the fact that you think I know nothing about the domestic game here, because form what I have read, no one knows anything about the game here except you, in your mind. Unlike you, I don't go out of my to try and prove that I know it all, because this isn't an 'I'm right, you're wrong" situation its discussion board for christs sake.

My last investment comment still stands, Wiseman was 28 when he made his debut, how is that an investment? Just to be clear here, my idea of investment is young potential, backed and resourced with the likelihood that they will succeed rather than fail. Nethula never even played a Test match, todd Patel was always gonna be second fiddle to Vettori unfortunately, and how on earth are were Walker and Loveridge investments in your eyes?

Ish has had the luck of coming in when Daniel Vettori is not the automatic spin choice for NZ's Test side. These are all things out of his hands and not his doing as well.

I just think there are plenty of people who clearly see and know more than us that are backing Ish to succeed. So my point is give the guy a ****ing break, either support the fact that he's the guy in that position at the moment, or AT LEAST have healthy debates. You can champion whoever you want, but its the fact that you have to belittle everyone else (including posters on here) to make a point about someone YOU think should be getting the opportunity.

Also, are you some ex first class cricketer? Because you definitely have the arrogance and chip on your shoulder that many of the domestic games elder players tend to do (I'm judging this from the fact you mentioned you were heavily on 'the scene' when Kane was 14).

Blocky

Banned
Jesus, do you re read what you write? 'He bleed runs like I said he would' How many people actually have to tell you this, nobody expects Sodhi to do well, nobody. I gave you my stance on Sodhi as a player yesterday (something you obvs missed) but every single New Zealand fan expects him to struggle, not just you. The difference between us and you is that we don't go out of our way to diminish what he does achieve with bull****.

If you truely believe you're fair and balanced when it comes to Sodhi (or Guptill, or any other player you have a grudge against) then you're kidding yourself.
You obviously expect Sodhi to do well - do you read what you write? You tried to claim that his five for was definitive proof he could win matches and then got offended when I pointed out his first wicket didn't fall until the game was a forgone conclusion. You sound like you're saying you're angry at me because I point out what you already know, Sodhi sucks and won't actually perform for his country. I guess your real anger lies in the fact that I know Sodhi won't be in the side in a few years and will be another also-ran leg spin bowler just like every other option tried. Cause other than that, you seem to be violently saying that "You're an idiot for agreeing with me"

Mike5181

International Captain
How many of you are still on your mothers milk? That's my honest to god question.
Nah, I've upgraded to blue top. Thanks for asking though.

Re Latham. His batting talent aside, the one thing I find interesting about him is that he captained Canterbury when he was only 20 years old. Maybe some other people on here can tell us whether his potential in that department is comparable to Williamson, and if the golden boy could actually have some competition in the future. He'd need to earn himself a spot in the ODI team, and be a regular for a few years - but it's an interesting thing to think about.

I suppose for the second test we bring in Wagner for Craig. I'd legit back Ronchi to score more runs than Neesham. We only have to go back to Bridgetown where Jimmy hit two half-centuries to know that it would be extremely harsh to drop him though. Give him the series, and then reassess after that. Hopefully they don't select Rutherford or Bracewell.

Blocky

Banned
Jono Boult is also 28 and bowls, like most in this country, off breaks.. Like I have said before age and bowler type is a factor. If there was a huge gap between Jono Boult's stats and Ish, and by huge I mean difference making, but the fact remains is that Ish is 22 and Jono is 28, and like I stated earlier Ish's ceiling would appear to be far higher given the fact that he is performing the hardest job in cricket atm, in a country thats notoriously useless at managing leg spinners. These are all factors.
The difference between being 22 and 28 isn't actually major when it comes to a spin bowler playing for NZ Cricket. The idea that Sodhi has a higher ceiling because he's six years younger doesn't ring true, they've actually both played about the same amount of representitive cricket and Sodhi had a lot more age group experience growing up than Jono Boult did. Do I think Jono Boult is an accomplished cricketer? No, but the reality is he continues to return better results at domestic level than Sodhi does and if you hadn't noticed, you don't get points in Cricket for having more young people in your side than the other teams do.

All you're doing is setting up someone for abject failure because you've told them that they do not need to perform to a reasonably high level to be selected and in the case of Sodhi, you don't even need to show any real progress in order to retain your spot. Sodhi still has major accuracy issues almost 14 months on from his first test, the only area in my view that he's shown promise is as a tail end batsman. The other wider issue is that Sodhi comes back into his domestic side and generally is out performed by guys who are scraping/struggling to get their spot in the ND unit ( i.e Mitchell Santner )

The reason NZ Cricket never prospers is because we have a nasty tendency of not sticking with players who don't fit a certain mould, while we give far too many chances to others (like Sodhi, or Guptill) - and expect somehow even though their domestic form is attrocious that they're going to do a job for the country when they get there. At the moment, you're saying "Well, he's young, lets select him because in ten years time, he MAY be a great bowler"

Let him prove it in domestic, that seems to have worked for Yasir - at 28, who is bowling well and taking important wickets. He had 250+ wickets before he even got a look in. At this rate, Sodhi will take 10 years to get that many wickets.

also, Wiseman actually contributed to his team in some of the matches he played. At the moment, it's almost like "Let's applaud Sodhi for getting a tail end wicket" or "Let's applaud Sodhi for when the batsman only take him at five an over" - if you want an NZ team that wins, you don't tolerate that horse ****.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What were Shane Warne's stats after a similar number of first class matches as Sodhi? His first couple of seasons in Australia were poor and Australia is a much more leg spin friendly country for an aspiring bowler.

Now, I'm not saying Sodhi is going to be anywhere near as good as Warne - and I suspect Warne's first 20 first class matches were still better than Sodhi's. However, my point is this - Warne improved rapidly from a 30-40 average Sheffield Shield bowler to a player who averaged 25 in Tests and one of the greatest bowlers of all time. If Sodhi improved to a comparative extent, would we be happy with a leg spinner averaging ~35 in Test cricket (which would be about Danish Kaneria standard) (261 wickets at 35). I suspect that's what NZC are hoping for with Sodhi.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not only has Latham captained Canterbury, but didn't he captain the Black Caps in a couple of t20s last year in SL?

Howsie

International Captain
You obviously expect Sodhi to do well - do you read what you write? You tried to claim that his five for was definitive proof he could win matches and then got offended when I pointed out his first wicket didn't fall until the game was a forgone conclusion. You sound like you're saying you're angry at me because I point out what you already know, Sodhi sucks and won't actually perform for his country. I guess your real anger lies in the fact that I know Sodhi won't be in the side in a few years and will be another also-ran leg spin bowler just like every other option tried. Cause other than that, you seem to be violently saying that "You're an idiot for agreeing with me"
I expect him to do better then any other spinner in the country, that's what I expect. Nothing more nothing less at this stage. He's a massive work in progress. And I didn't try and claim anything with that, you claimed Sodhi had never bowled ND to victory. I proved otherwise. I knew quite well he hadn't picked up his first wicket until Canterbury were five down, so? It's just an excuse for you to use as to why it doesn;t count. Canterbury (and surely you would know this) have an insane lower order, countless times they added big runs from seven down last season. Who is to say without Sodhi they do the same that day too?