• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Howsie

International Captain
Latham is a much better limited overs player than KW was at the same stage in his career.
Based on?

Williamson's domestic one day record will probably never be touched (averages just under 60) and had already racked up a massive 145 in South Africa at 22 too.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Based on?

Williamson's domestic one day record will probably never be touched (averages just under 60) and had already racked up a massive 145 in South Africa at 22 too.
Williamson debuted well before the age of 22. He was already pretty established when he played that godlike innings (one of the best ODI innings I've ever seen, ITBT).

Latham just seems to be much more comfortable lifting the strike rate than KW was in his early international career.

Blocky

Banned
No, I'm tired of **** like this

So hang on a minute. It's quite alright for Mark Craig to pick up a wicket off a stumping, or a bloody reverse sweep of all things, but Sodhi has to bowl the perfect leg break for it to count. Or else in comes Blocky to tell us why it shouldn't count and it was simply just the batsman playing a silly shot or losing concentration.
Did you even bother to watch the video? Or the fact that he went 73 per wicket in the test match and bleeded runs like I said he would? You're quoting me out of context but the reality is, my point with Sodhi is that he would offer us nothing in the match ( exception being his batting ) that would change the result of the match and that he relied too heavily on batsman error to take wickets. That remains absolutely true and was seen easily in the test match

The missed chances by Craig? Weren't exactly batsman slogging across the line like they were with Sodhi. Get off his nuts and realise the kid won't be playing for ND in three years, let alone NZ.

Blocky

Banned
Williamson was a giant at domestic level, it was the only reason he got selected so young into the side because we've always had reasonably good players in our middle order. Latham is more a case of right position, right time although he's been very impressive at domestic level, Williamson was on a whole different level from a young age.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There's no reasonable way to come to the conclusion that Sodhi relied on batsman error to take his wickets any more than Craig did with his (theoretical) wickets.

Blocky's offensively obtuse arguments that include unnecessary absolutisms mixed with dire schoolboy insults (e.g. Get off his nuts) are completely at odds with his exclaimed vindication at the moderation.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Just in case anyone wasn't aware (as seems to be the case), Teja is a moderator and this is a moderator instruction.

If you want to talk about how good/bad posters are in this thread, you're gonna have a bad time.
everyone currently posting in this thread is bad, the thread itself is bad, the cricket is bad, everyone should be ashamed of how bad this is

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It has been pretty dire Dermo has a point

I came into the thread to say that I am still proud of the boys. At least we showed the character to get over 200 in both digs. I think we have a very competitive team and have just struck a Pakistan team who is almost unbeatable in their own conditions unless you have a top class spinner yourself. In fact you probably need two top class spinners.

We will lose this 3-0 but I would like to see a couple more centuries along the way and a Sodhi 5-fer

Thanks

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
And isn't it, y'know, Sodhi's job to induce mistakes -- like sweeping a ball that should have been driven -- or take advantage of lapses of concentration?

Days of Grace

International Captain
I used to love reading and even contributing to New Zealand threads. Now I feel they should be titled "Sri Lanka in New Zealand a.k.a. Argue with Blocky and WW.

Jesus, no one can post a comment anymore on an aspect of the cricket without getting into a 3 page argument or getting pissed off at the little troll who we all know is seeking some glee after his side got dicked home and away.

You'll lose a lot of good posters if this is allowed to continue.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
There were a few missed opportunities of Sodhi in the first innings weren't there?

I agree with Hurricane, we did put up a good fight for the most part, just Pakistan managed to come back strongly every time we did. Hopefully there is a bit more life in the next pitch, and Southee and Boult can find some swing.

Being hopelessly optimistic, 1-0.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Williamson was a giant at domestic level, it was the only reason he got selected so young into the side because we've always had reasonably good players in our middle order. Latham is more a case of right position, right time although he's been very impressive at domestic level, Williamson was on a whole different level from a young age.
This is an interesting point.

TBH I have no idea what Latham's schoolboy career was like, but IMO, Williamson being a youth prodigy doesn't put him beyond the realms of other players with impressive starts to their first class career. Whether they've had that schoolboy pedigree of a Williamson (or a Southee, or an Anderson) or not, I think the players that reach international level at a young age without obvious flaws in their game have a huge chance in establishing greatness.

the big bambino

International Captain
Stink up those places as much as you want, hell, I do it sometimes because it's fun to watch them react like a pack of rabid dogs. But not here. Just no.
I joined ICF bcos I read a thread that I thought was missing a point to counter balance those that were being made: Over and over again. I lasted 2 posts and then pissed off with those rabid dogs chasing. I haven't gone back to check but I imagine its the sort of place where they backslap each other if they chase a new poster, who doesn't agree with everyone else, away

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man

TBH I have no idea what Latham's schoolboy career was like, but IMO, Williamson being a youth prodigy doesn't put him beyond the realms of other players with impressive starts to their first class career. Whether they've had that schoolboy pedigree of a Williamson (or a Southee, or an Anderson) or not, I think the players that reach international level at a young age without obvious flaws in their game have a huge chance in establishing greatness.
Latham's pedigree was pretty damn good, if not on the same level as Williamson's (who was referred to as 'God' by a whole bunch of age group opponents). Latham would've easily been the best player in the Canterbury age-group teams he was in, with Henry Nicholls probably the next best batsman after him. Anderson was a year or two ahead of him but got promoted up the levels quite a bit faster. Latham scored plenty of age-group tons over the years and was always the big wicket in the Canterbury teams. He was definitely the big fish.

Blocky

Banned
There's no reasonable way to come to the conclusion that Sodhi relied on batsman error to take his wickets any more than Craig did with his (theoretical) wickets.

Blocky's offensively obtuse arguments that include unnecessary absolutisms mixed with dire schoolboy insults (e.g. Get off his nuts) are completely at odds with his exclaimed vindication at the moderation.
Schoolboy insults.. because making a comment such as "Get off his nuts" when a player shows excessive fanboyism is something to be sensitive over. I guess what I was subjected to last year for being the only person backing Wagner should then be considered grounds for prison sentences according to your logic of wrong and right in the world.

And isn't it, y'know, Sodhi's job to induce mistakes -- like sweeping a ball that should have been driven -- or take advantage of lapses of concentration?
Sure, but generally those mistakes come due to a build up of pressure, not the batsman just trying to invent new ways to challenge themselves because they've been milking four an over easily without any risks.

I used to love reading and even contributing to New Zealand threads. Now I feel they should be titled "Sri Lanka in New Zealand a.k.a. Argue with Blocky and WW.

Jesus, no one can post a comment anymore on an aspect of the cricket without getting into a 3 page argument or getting pissed off at the little troll who we all know is seeking some glee after his side got dicked home and away.

You'll lose a lot of good posters if this is allowed to continue.
What you consider good seems to be people who say "WE DONT WANT TO ARGUE WITH YOU" - in that tone of voice while repeatedly bringing the thread back to an argument. If you don't want the problem, stop being the problem.

Blocky

Banned

I was still active in the first class scene as Williamson came up and from the age of about 14, everyone knew he had real talent and he was handling premier bowling attacks with aplomb. I do recall there being a big drive to "hold back from selecting him" in his first seasons at ND because he was averaging about 45 in both formats and scoring regular centuries, people felt being selected too early would cause him career problems.

A lot of very knowledgeable old bastards were telling us he was the best under 20 they'd seen since Ken Rutherford.

Flem274*

123/5
I was still active in the first class scene as Williamson came up and from the age of about 14, everyone knew he had real talent and he was handling premier bowling attacks with aplomb. I do recall there being a big drive to "hold back from selecting him" in his first seasons at ND because he was averaging about 45 in both formats and scoring regular centuries, people felt being selected too early would cause him career problems.

A lot of very knowledgeable old bastards were telling us he was the best under 20 they'd seen since Ken Rutherford.
liar liar pants on fire