• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Top 50 Cricketers of All Time - 2nd Edition

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think he'll be higher than he was last time.
Yeah realistically he should be higher as he has ticked off a few important boxes since the first version of this; scoring a double century not once but twice has probably made people vote him higher.

Personally, Kallis is one of those players that I'm still not quite sure where I really rate him in the grand scheme of things - he missed out on my top 25.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah realistically he should be higher as he has ticked off a few important boxes since the first version of this; scoring a double century not once but twice has probably made people vote him higher.
Yeah this, along with another 2 and a half years of sustained excellence. If I remember correctly he was in a bit of a form slump in 2009 as well, which he's obviously come out of.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

Personally, Kallis is one of those players that I'm still not quite sure where I really rate him in the grand scheme of things - he missed out on my top 25.
I remember a thread we had a year or so back when people were seriously saying that he was a lesser player because he hadn't then scored a double century (top score 189no). You're right that some people may now rate him higher because he's now done so, but it seems ridiculous to me.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hmm.. I don't think it's that crazy at all Z. His 189* was against Zim too wasn't it, so I think a double ton against a decent attack definitely ticks off a box in my mind.

You look at the list of leading run scorers and only Stewart and the great Waugh are without a 200, for me it makes a difference and for any Kallis sceptic (I've been more sceptic, less JK love) there is less to criticize about now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Oh and so far:

South Africa 6
West Indies 5
Australia 4
England, Pakistan 2
India 1

smali, is the next grouping you do just the 5 players?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I remember a thread we had a year or so back when people were seriously saying that he was a lesser player because he hadn't then scored a double century (top score 189no). You're right that some people may now rate him higher because he's now done so, but it seems ridiculous to me.
I said that, and I do think that. When he did it, it was an important box to check.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'd think there'd only be two more Pakistanis in the list, if everyone's fair dinkum. One more Indian, no more Englishmen. SA should be done by now, barring Kallis. And I only mention him because it's obvious he'll be in there, not that he should be. SL will only have one entrant, Zimbabwe none.

So it should be a few West Indians and (rightly) the rest will be Australians from here on in.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Put a beard on that dude and that is pretty much what Burgey looks like.

And that includes the dancing itbt

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, **** prediction that. Dev is sure to find a place in top 15, Gavaskar in top 10 and Tendulkar to win this (or may be second behind Imran). So that's 3 Indians to come.

EDIT: Forgot Kapil Dev earlier.

Last edited:

Burgey

Nah, **** prediction that. Gavaskar is sure to find a place in top 15, and Tendulkar to win this (or may be second behind Imran). So that's 2 Indians to come.
Sadly this is likely true. I allowed for that, and assumed "Milestone Interviews Only" wouldn't make it :ph34r:

Burgey

Imagine a top 15 players of all time containing each of Dev, Gavaskar, Tendulkar and Hadlee, with Imran number one.

It's like some bad movie, Revenge of the Cod Ordinary Test Nations or something.

Proof democracy is wasted on a lot of people.

Flem274*

123/5
Going to enjoy getting to number one to find Bradman failed to make the list.

Will go down with the extinction of the dinosaurs as one of the most heart racing moments of Burgey's life.