• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid Likely to Retire

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, if anything Dravid seems more 'English' so to speak, which I think is reflected in how highly he's thought of over here.
No he doesn't. He seems Indian ffs, despite Nufan pointing out the obvious with regards to the photo.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Another superb post; agree with every point but particularly the bolded. The footwork of prime Dravid to the swinging and seaming ball was without question the best of this era.

And it was not just his defensive technique; he moved his feet so quickly, smoothly and decisively to the pitch of the ball that when it was deviating the most it was as if he was playing a different game - he had this disconcerting habit of nonchalantly driving balls that would have got almost any other batsman out LBW or caught behind to wherever he liked in the V. And every time it was that quick, decisive and totally unique footwork of his which would set up the stroke.

Absolutely amazing player and my second favourite of your five titans after Lara.
Yeah, Dravid is quite possibly the best player of swing bowling that I have seen.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Though Dravid was a gun no. 3 I think he had every quality to be a great opener. More importantly, I think Sehwag could have had an even better career as a middle-order batsman. Dravid opening, Laxman at 3 and Sehwag at 5 could have been a better lineup than we have seen in the last 10 years IMO - would have definitely yielded much better results outside SC.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
My favourite batsman of all time, there was just no way we could get him out. I still remember the time we made India follow on in Wellington and in India's reply he was given out when he didn't hit the ball. Well, how else would we get him out?

A great guy all round, in every respect.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Fantastic piece written on Dravid written by the person that knows him the most - his wife:

Vijeeta Dravid on her husband, Rahul | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo
Great article full of intriguing insights into the character and personal quirks of this truly great cricketer.

Loved that the only thing which upset him so much that he could not prevent himself from expressing his frustration to his wife was dropping a catch. For Dravid, "letting someone else/the team down" by dropping a makeable catch was evidently a career-long bête noire. His own rare batting failures could never stir his equanimity; disappointing a bowler, whom he knew must have worked his guts off to create an opening, never failed to shake him. His reputation will rise and rise with the passing years.

PS

As am new to this forum thing, can someone please tell me how I can include the following quote to all future posts as a sig?

Thanks in advance.

"In 2009 he lost his old, faded India cap, when it was stolen from a ground. He was very, very upset about it. It was dear to him and he was extremely proud to wear it."

Vijeeta Dravid on her husband Rahul, March 2012

Last edited: