• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid Likely to Retire

MyLord

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dravid WAG. Class on and off the field.

Only Jaklis the last of the greats soldiers on (Ricky and Tendulkar largely spent and coasting).

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Since his debut he has been one of the best test batsman in world cricket. I have him in tier 1 along with Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Kallis and Sangakkara. Of those he was the best at playing the moving ball, and probably was India's best batsman of the 2000s.

He should be remembered as a player who had a superb defensive technique and extremely good powers of concentration and mental strength, but also as a player with all the shots in the book, and one who could stylishly take apart bowling attacks when he occasionally wanted to. He was clinical at putting away the bad ball, and I think his strokeplay and elegance is and was sometimes forgotten in his overall reputation.

An all-time great player, a great team man, an adaptable player and someone India could count on time and time again, responsible for their greatest achievements.
Another superb post; agree with every point but particularly the bolded. The footwork of prime Dravid to the swinging and seaming ball was without question the best of this era.

And it was not just his defensive technique; he moved his feet so quickly, smoothly and decisively to the pitch of the ball that when it was deviating the most it was as if he was playing a different game - he had this disconcerting habit of nonchalantly driving balls that would have got almost any other batsman out LBW or caught behind to wherever he liked in the V. And every time it was that quick, decisive and totally unique footwork of his which would set up the stroke.

Absolutely amazing player and my second favourite of your five titans after Lara.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
None of India's batsmen do ;).

Actually, ironically, the only one who seemed kinda 'Australian'. :laugh:
In a way, that's the mark of the man, that supporters from each country think of him almost as one of their own. That said, "Australian" is probably the last adjective I'd use of him.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
In a way, that's the mark of the man, that supporters from each country think of him almost as one of their own. That said, "Australian" is probably the last adjective I'd use of him.
Yea, he's Australian like Dennis Lillee was Indian.
Well, I guess it depends what you'd attach to that adjective. Nor am I trying to suggest that is what all players should attempt to be. It's just that he seemed far more identifiable with as an Australian who watched our matches against India.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, I guess it depends what you'd attach to that adjective. Nor am I trying to suggest that is what all players should attempt to be. It's just that he seemed far more identifiable with as an Australian who watched our matches against India.
I don't think the Australian public warmed to Dravid as much as they did with Sachin and Laxman, and you'd think the Australians would warm to someone who was similar to their own.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I wasn't referring to whom the general public received well or for whatever reason they did so. I was explaining the reasons why I liked him more. I feel if we had to pick one of India's great cricketers he would slot into our dressing room easier than the rest. From Gilchrist talking about how Sachin was often unavailable and Ponting talking about how he and Dravid had discussed and encouraged each other about staying on, whilst in their troughs, that picture of him formed for me. Anyway, it is not an important point, really.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think the Australian public warmed to Dravid as much as they did with Sachin and Laxman, and you'd think the Australians would warm to someone who was similar to their own.
Yeah, if anything Dravid seems more 'English' so to speak, which I think is reflected in how highly he's thought of over here.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, Dravid showered.

:laugh: it is a credit to Dravid that he was well-liked by pretty much all.