• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Cricketers II - CW's Favorite Cricketer (now underway)

Darth018

Banned
Could someone please nominate David Gower (the cricketer, not the commentator)

thanks dears
Okay...

David Gower
Ian Botham
Glenn McGrath

Edit:
Hmm.. Botham is already there. So I guess I will just nominate Darren Sammy here I like him a lot for some reason :D

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would like to lobby for who I believe deserves to win this the most.

Bruce Edgar served his country with pride and humility. His greatest claim to fame is in this photo

He is at the Non Strikers end after scoring 108 not out.

What a star.

Please vote for Bruce.

Cricinfo says he is a chartered accountant now - give him his moment.

Many thanks.

Himannv

International Coach
Ok I'm lobbying for mine then. Eddie Paynter averaged a stunning 84.42 against Australia and he's a man for a crisis as he's saved his team on a good number of occasions.

Cricinfo (1932-33 series): In the fourth Test at Brisbane, he was taken to hospital with tonsillitis and doubtless, had all gone well with England, would not have batted. But all did not go well, and at 216 for 6 he emerged from the pavilion, refused Woodfull's offer of a runner, was still there at the close, and returned to bed in hospital. Next morning, he was not out until he had scored 83 in nearly four hours. On this occasion he and Verity put on 92 for the ninth wicket. Normally quick on his feet and a fine driver, he had conserved energy by waiting for opportunities to hit the ball to leg, preferably to the boundary. Few innings in history have so captivated the imagination of the public. Moreover, Paynter insisted on fielding for a couple of hours before retiring and then, as if to show that he was none the worse, in a brief second innings he finished the match with a 6.

Compared to the primadonnas of the current day who cry foul if a pitch is anything but a road, players like these are a rare breed. Cant think of too many who are as deserving of winning something as this guy.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
MAK Pataudi

Mark Waugh

Barry Richards

EDIT : Border was already nominated so changed him with Mark Waugh

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Should let any latecomers nominate right up until the end of the first round, then there's less chance of someone missing out.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Should let any latecomers nominate right up until the end of the first round, then there's less chance of someone missing out.
Should be until the end of the 3rd round IMO just because it is important to get as many entries as possible.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
121 Players Nominated So Far -

AB de Villiers
Adam Gilchrist
Albie Morkel
Allan Border
Alan Davidson
Allan Donald
Andrew Flintoff
Andy Flower
Anil Kumble
Barry Richards
Bert Sutcliffe (NZ)
Bill Ponsford
Brett Lee
Brian Close
Brian Lara
Bruce Edgar
CB Fry
Cecil Parkin
Chaminda Vaas.
Chris Tremlett
Clarrie Grimmett
Curtley Ambrose
Dale Steyn
Damien Martyn
Daniel Vettori
Darren Sammy
David Gower
Dennis Lillee
Dimitri Mascarenhas
Don Bradman
Don Tallon
Douglas Jardine
Eddie Paynter
Edgar Schiferli
Farokh Engineer
Frank Worrell
Gary Sobers
Geoffrey Boycott
George Headley
Glenn McGrath
Glenn Turner
Graham Gooch
Graeme Swann
Harold Larwood
Hashim Amla
Henry Olanga
Herbert Sutcliffe
Herbie Taylor
Iain O'Brien
Ian Botham
Ian Harvey
Imran Khan
Inzamam Ul Haq
Jack Hobbs
Jacques Kallis
James Anderson
James Franklin
Jason Gillespie
Jeetan Patel
Jimmy Adams (WI)
Joel Garner
Kane Williamson
Kapil Dev
Keith Miller
Kumar Sangakkara
Lance Klusener
Lasith Malinga
Mahela Jayawardene
Malcolm Marshall
MAK Pataudi
Mark Waugh
Manish Pandey
Marcus Trescothick
Maurice Tate
Michael Atherton
Michael Clarke
Michael Holding
Michael Mason
Michael Slater
Michael Vaughan
Mike Hussey
Misbah Ul-Haq
Mitchell Johnson
Mohammad Amir
Morne Morkel
MS Dhoni
Mushtaq Ahmed
Muttiah Muralitharan
Nasser Hussain
Nathan Astle
PAUL STIRLING
Rahul Dravid
Ray Lindwall
Richard Hadlee
Richie Benaud
Richie Richardson
Ricky Ponting
Ryan ten Doeschate
Sachin Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuriya
Shahid Afridi
Shane Bond
Shane Warne
Shane Watson
Shoaib Akhtar
Sourav Ganguly
Sreesanth
Stan McCabe
Steve Waugh
Sylvester Clarke
Tamim Iqbal
Tim Bresnan
Tim Southee
Tip Foster
Trent Boult
Virat Kohli
Viv Richards
VVS Laxman
Waqar Younis
Wasim Akram
Wesley Hall

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
IMO, 128 noms - 32 battles of 4 each, vote for two favourites each battle, top 2 in each battle progressing - 32 - 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1.
4 concurrent battles in the first and second rounds, that'll last 16 days. Then you space the remaining 31 battles as you see fit.
No negative voting IMO.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Battle 1

Tim Bresnan

VS

Kumar Sangakkara

VS

MS Dhoni

VS

Brett Lee

Vote for top 2.

Battle to go on for 24 hours and tie breaker to be the first vote after 24 hours.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Battle 2

Joel Garner

VS

Henry Olanga

VS

Jason Gillespie

VS

Imran Khan

Vote for top 2.

Battle to go on for 24 hours and tie breaker to be the first vote after 24 hours.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
IMO, 128 noms - 32 battles of 4 each, vote for two favourites each battle, top 2 in each battle progressing - 32 - 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1.
4 concurrent battles in the first and second rounds, that'll last 16 days. Then you space the remaining 31 battles as you see fit.
No negative voting IMO.
Yeah, doing 2 battles per day though.

4 Battles per day will be too quick.