• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The importance of IPL....

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
*sigh* I already answered. It wasn't selfish because they were returning home to play First Class cricket in order to better prepare for tests. Completely different to sitting out a complete series so they can put their feet up - especially after an IPL tournament too

Spark

Global Moderator
I think that was what was stated at the time. "We're bringing Hussey to play in Shield matches so he has the maximum opportunity to get ready (read: find form) before the Ashes"

Bun

Banned
*sigh* I already answered. It wasn't selfish because they were returning home to play First Class cricket in order to better prepare for tests. Completely different to sitting out a complete series so they can put their feet up - especially after an IPL tournament too
forget the fine print where hussey was happily playing the entire champ league twenty twenty a month or two back? not sure exactly that was ideal preparation for tests either

fact of matter is ipl or india isnt the only board which do all these...

and funny how nationalism means preparing/playing test cricket here. for me it would be representing the country/board's best interests.

Bun

Banned
I think that was what was stated at the time. "We're bringing Hussey to play in Shield matches so he has the maximum opportunity to get ready (read: find form) before the Ashes"
exactly. here the point is india is resting its key guys out of the odis so that they can be better prepared for tests which follow.

Spark

Global Moderator
forget the fine print where hussey was happily playing the entire champ league twenty twenty a month or two back? not sure exactly that was ideal preparation for tests either

fact of matter is ipl or india isnt the only board which do all these...

and funny how nationalism means preparing/playing test cricket here. for me it would be representing the country/board's best interests.

Do you know anything about that incident at all? Specifically Hussey's attitude to it and why he ended up staying there rather than joining his teammates in India when they arrived?

And I suggest you stop using the word nationalism.

Bun

Banned

Do you know anything about that incident at all? Specifically Hussey's attitude to it and why he ended up staying there rather than joining his teammates in India when they arrived?

And I suggest you stop using the word nationalism.
who has said anything abt hussey's selfishness here.... we are talking from boards' perspective.

suggest you read all posts before replying

Shri

Mr. Glass
Raina wouldn't have had a second coming to the international stage if it wasn't the first season of the IPL. He got his form and confidence back through that tournament and cemented his place in the ODI side which in turn got him into the test side. Not like you can only find your form again through FC games.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I've said that. But Indian players are being 'rested', as they've filled what would otherwise be a rest period with a 7 week tournament meaning that Indian players are missing national representation
It's more a case there of resting the players for the ODI series specially the bowlers for the upcoming test series and the the tour to England rather than the IPL.
A ODI series away from home would take a considerably heavier toil than a IPL with 4 over to bowl at home.

And it is also partially a case of testing out newer talents in a away series against Decent opposition.
This team has just won the world cup and needs to build up motivation level again before it starts over and so it is a perfect time to take a break as the motivation levels for a ODI series in West Indies would not be the highest right now.
Plus West Indies is a perfect away series to try out some new players .It is not too tough of a series ,neither a easy one. And if they do well the younger players will keep the established ones on their toes and motivated to retain their places.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I could handle a few guys being rested for the ODI series. But I'd be livid if they did that in the Tests.
Even if someone is rested for the West Indies tests ,it would be for the England tour as they are back to back not the IPL.

For example ,saving Zaheer from a injury .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBF I have no problem with any team resting players for ODIs.

Tests on the other hand, pretty unforgiveable, a whole series anyway. Could understand a player being rested in the midst of a Five-Tester

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I can only imagine what the reaction would be like if a team like Australia were to do the same thing to India.
Actually they kind of did last year.
Though India rested a couple of players too in that series. Australia had the likes of Mckay ,Paine and starc playing for them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm pretty sure Australia rested players in the Ashes this winter actually.

No way could that have been their first choice side, right?

:ph34r:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Raina wouldn't have had a second coming to the international stage if it wasn't the first season of the IPL. He got his form and confidence back through that tournament and cemented his place in the ODI side which in turn got him into the test side. Not like you can only find your form again through FC games.
*cough* Shane Watson *cough*

:ph34r:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Don't think I understand either side here.

There seems to an implicit assumption that playing for the nation is a more honourable or moral thing to do than playing for money that I completely disagree with.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I don't get that either. It's a game. Most of us would jump at the chance of making upto 5x (in case of SL and NZ) our yearly salary for a month's worth of work.