• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever ODI batsman

Who do you think is the best ever ODI batsman?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
You sound like you've never watched Bevan. When needed to, Bevan could smack the ball all over the park. He was just naturally conservative and batted with the least risk possible. That's probably why he has 2 WCs and Dhoni has 0. I'd agree with you that Dhoni was more capable of being a brutal batsman; but that doesn't make him better. The object of the game was to win; Bevan's approach was far more reliable.

Bevan is a much better finisher than Dhoni. From positions 6 and lower, Dhoni averages 36 @ 82 whereas Bevan averages 55 @ 78. Not even close.
LOL. That's why sometimes it's better not to get into a discussion with you.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, yeah, that was a weird comment given Dhoni has played a grand total of one World Cup in his career.
And of course Bevan would have had 2 world cups even if he played for India or England or Bangladesh!

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, yeah, that was a weird comment given Dhoni has played a grand total of one World Cup in his career.
Even weirder because extending the same logic, all Aussie ODI players of the last 12 years were better than all non-Aussie ODI players of the last 12 years...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
LOL. That's why sometimes it's better not to get into a discussion with you.
Why? Because winning matches/finishing matches when it counts shouldn't matter?

It's not as if Dhoni had a poor batting line-up alongside him and from positions 1-4 he regularly finished innings for India. So it shouldn't be portrayed as such. And I showed you that in the lower batting positions he didn't fare well so what's the real point? The reality is that Bevan's risk-averse nature is directly responsible for Australia winning WCs.

Heck, Hussey has won a WC and I think little of it. So, it's not just about winning the WC. Otherwise Jayasuriya > Tendulkar. The point is, even for some who think they're still close...on that count Dhoni is a way behind.

Dhoni has played 1 WC and averages a marvelous 9.66 - including heavyweights Bermuda and Bangladesh. But of course, let's not mention that...he's just as good of a finisher as Bevan I once heard. And some have the cheek to feel upset.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
Bevan is underrated in that aspect. If he had to; he hit out. His era didn't require it so much though. For most his career he didn't bat high enough for that to be an ask of him.

FTR, Bevan averaged 60 in the top 4.

1st inn: 51 @ 78
2nd inn: 74 @ 62
Agree with that and the bowlers in his time were better than now. He did well against almost all countries and everywhere.

akilana

International 12th Man
Disagree. Dhoni is as good as finisher as Bevan and unlike Bevan real power hitter too. Has won many matches playing different roles unlike Bevan who was only a finisher most of the time. Dhoni sets up targets, sets up chases, finishes or makes other guys to finish it easy by some brutal innings here and there. Bevan was never capable of that brutal innings that Dhoni could play. Because Bvan has played more ATM, I'd rate them similar. If Dhoni can play 240 ODI and keep that avg 50+ and SR 85+, I have no problem in Dhoni > Bevan.
So that'd make Sehwag > Jayasurya

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This question is for those who have seen (live) both these players playing in their primes - Who was the better finisher between Miandad and Bevan, btw?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
So that'd make Sehwag > Jayasurya
Jayasuriya as an opener, 34.70 @ 92.51 over 382 innings.
Sehwag as an opener 36.2 @ 103 over 192 innings.

That SR's move closer if you adjust it for the eras they played. And Jaya has played twice more matches as Sehwag. It's not that straight forward in comparison. And I'd say Sehwag > Jayasuriya if Sehwag keeps that SR and Avg and he manages to play 380 odd innings as the opener.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
why? Because winning matches/finishing matches when it counts shouldn't matter?

It's not as if dhoni had a poor batting line-up alongside him and from positions 1-4 he regularly finished innings for india. So it shouldn't be portrayed as such. And i showed you that in the lower batting positions he didn't fare well so what's the real point? The reality is that bevan's risk-averse nature is directly responsible for australia winning wcs.

Heck, hussey has won a wc and i think little of it. So, it's not just about winning the wc. Otherwise jayasuriya > tendulkar. The point is, even for some who think they're still close...on that count dhoni is a way behind.

Dhoni has played 1 wc and averages a marvelous 9.66 - including heavyweights bermuda and bangladesh. But of course, let's not mention that...he's just as good of a finisher as bevan i once heard. And some have the cheek to feel upset.
lol

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ikki in WC final shocker. He has already conceded that Aravinda de Silva is the best ODI cricketer ever.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Let's take weirdness to another level. Mohinder Amarnath the greatest all-rounder. Won MoM in both semi and final of WC 1983.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, judging Dhoni on a magnificent sample space of 3 matches FTW. :laugh:

FTR, I don't think Dhoni is close to Bevan yet as an ODI batsman, but you're making some ridiculous posts here.
No, that's hardly the point. It's the fact that Dhoni is being touted as good of a finisher as Bevan and against 3 sides (two of them poor) he had the perfect chance to set a substantial innings for his team and he faltered all 3 times. In contrast, Bevan saved matches against the best and at the direst times.

India did not even make it out of the group stages - that is why he played only 3 matches. It's not 3 random matches; it was 3 group matches where he failed in every innings and his side was humiliated, sent packing early.

That doesn't make Dhoni a poor player at all - he'll go down as one of the greats probably - but in comparison to Bevan he is yet to play even 1 decent inning in a WC; let alone help his side to 3 finals. I find it insulting that they're even mentioned as if they're neck and neck. When Dhoni plays those kinds of dramatic innings as Bevan did the comparison may have legs. Same goes for Hussey.

Tom Moody, averages 8.5 with the ball in WC finals! :cool:
Where did you get the impression we're talking about finals only? Dhoni couldn't even get to one; so where is the comparison?

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
This question is for those who have seen (live) both these players playing in their primes - Who was the better finisher between Miandad and Bevan, btw?
Bevan I think. Can't recall too many Miandad innings as a finisher.

Afridi spent a good chunk of his ODI career as an opener though.
Afridi is a terrible player although I would still choose him over Kyle Mills (Flem274 would want me to choose otherwise)..

smash84

The Tiger King
And in choosing between Dhoni and Bevan in ODIs I wouldn't hesitate to choose Bevan over Dhoni. Bevan was just too good. He would script wins from impossible situations and he did that in a time with probably the greatest ODI attacks of all time. Batting was damn difficult in the days when Bevan played most of his ODIs. Wasim, Waqar, Saqlain, Murali, Donald, Pollock, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop, Mushtaq. Now those were the days ............