• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever ODI batsman

Who do you think is the best ever ODI batsman?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The longeivity thing is harsh.

Viv played his first 1-dayer when he was 23 y.o. He was 39 when he finished playing ODIs. The thing is that WI only played two 1-dayers in 1973, none in 1974 and half a dozen in 1975. None before that....ever.
Agree entirely, hence my point earlier that some tend to place far more weighting on longevity than others. When comparing the test bowling records of Marshall & Walsh for example, I'm far more inclined to look at the difference in their bowling averages & strike-rates than the fact Walsh played for longer.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey and Dhoni close but nope. Hussey I rate as a more complete batsman but last time we won the WC he was pretty much a non-factor. With Bevan that was pretty much the opposite.

Looking at this poll I'd say he's pretty underrated.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Your opinion is your opinion; I just find it hard to fathom. How can batsmen falling around and having tense finishes with Bevan batting with the tail, rescuing us, be boring? What do you watch cricket for then?

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Hussey and Dhoni close but nope. Hussey I rate as a more complete batsman but last time we won the WC he was pretty much a non-factor. With Bevan that was pretty much the opposite.

Disagree. Dhoni is as good as finisher as Bevan and unlike Bevan real power hitter too. Has won many matches playing different roles unlike Bevan who was only a finisher most of the time. Dhoni sets up targets, sets up chases, finishes or makes other guys to finish it easy by some brutal innings here and there. Bevan was never capable of that brutal innings that Dhoni could play. Because Bvan has played more ATM, I'd rate them similar. If Dhoni can play 240 ODI and keep that avg 50+ and SR 85+, I have no problem in Dhoni > Bevan.

morgieb

Dhoni's good, but I'd still rate Bevan > him because....

1. Bevan did it for 10 years, Dhoni's only 5.
2. Dhoni played in a somewhat better era, particularly given how good batting's been in the subcontinent (and before you ask, no their international career's did not overlap)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You sound like you've never watched Bevan. When needed to, Bevan could smack the ball all over the park. He was just naturally conservative and batted with the least risk possible. That's probably why he has 2 WCs and Dhoni has 0. I'd agree with you that Dhoni was more capable of being a brutal batsman; but that doesn't make him better. The object of the game was to win; Bevan's approach was far more reliable.

Bevan is a much better finisher than Dhoni. From positions 6 and lower, Dhoni averages 36 @ 82 whereas Bevan averages 55 @ 78. Not even close.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni's good, but I'd still rate Bevan > him because....

1. Bevan did it for 10 years, Dhoni's only 5.
2. Dhoni played in a somewhat better era, particularly given how good batting's been in the subcontinent (and before you ask, no their international career's did not overlap)
I'd rate them Bevan >> Hussey > Dhoni.

The extra > for Bevan because of the WCs and his unforgettable innings.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
You sound like you've never watched Bevan. When needed to, Bevan could smack the ball all over the park. He was just naturally conservative and batted with the least risk possible. That's probably why he has 2 WCs and Dhoni has 0. I'd agree with you that Dhoni was more capable of being a brutal batsman; but that doesn't make him better. The object of the game was to win; Bevan's approach was far more reliable.

Bevan is a much better finisher than Dhoni. From positions 6 and lower, Dhoni averages 36 @ 82 whereas Bevan averages 55 @ 78. Not even close.
This is hilarious stuff. Dhoni finished the game from higher up positions than Bevan. Stop clutching straws.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That's hilarious coming from you. I didn't know Hussey was non-Australian btw.

This is hilarious stuff. Dhoni finished the game from higher up positions than Bevan. Stop clutching straws.
Unless you're counting positions from 1-4 as finishers then...nope. Batting that high, he is no more a finisher as Tendulkar or Ponting is.

Last edited:

vcs

TBF, Hussey was barely needed to contribute. Australia could have played 7 bowlers or something in that WC. Bevan would have been in a similar situation.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Unless you're counting positions from 1-4 as finishers then...nope. Batting that high, he is no more a finisher as Tendulkar or Ponting is.
Lol you can't tie the words position and finisher together. It doesn't matter where he bats as long as he finishes games off.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBF, Hussey was barely needed to contribute. Australia could have played 7 bowlers or something in that WC. Bevan would have been in a similar situation.
That's a good point; however since Bevan got the opportunity and was simply amazing I am going to give him credit for it. I actually think Hussey is overall the better player - he can certainly play a Bevan like innings as well as take apart an attack - but performances like that don't come around often. If I had to chase any target the first name on the teamsheet would be Bevan. He was that good for Australia. Sometimes I feel the neutrals didn't appreciate it as they tended to think "Aus are strong and will win anyway".

I'm fairly sure we'll need Huss to do it in the next WC though.

Last edited:

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I guess Bevan helped Australia win against England in the 2003 wc when they were tottering at 135 for 8 chasing 205

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Lol you can't tie the words position and finisher together. It doesn't matter where he bats as long as he finishes games off.
Well, I am not sure if the term 'finisher' is widely defined, but having to bat basically most of his innings with the tail and help win a match isn't something batsmen from positions 1-4 will have to do very often.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Well, I am not sure if the term 'finisher' is widely defined, but having to bat basically most of his innings with the tail and help win a match isn't something batsmen from positions 1-4 will have to do very often.
Yeah he was great at batting with the tail but couldn't belt a team out of the game coming in to bat at the top order. An important part he lacked in his game. Thats why I think he wouldn't have been as good as some six hitting finishers we see these days like Yuvraj, Dhoni, Hussey, Symonds, etc, if he played atm.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. Dhoni is as good as finisher as Bevan and unlike Bevan real power hitter too. Has won many matches playing different roles unlike Bevan who was only a finisher most of the time. Dhoni sets up targets, sets up chases, finishes or makes other guys to finish it easy by some brutal innings here and there. Bevan was never capable of that brutal innings that Dhoni could play. Because Bvan has played more ATM, I'd rate them similar. If Dhoni can play 240 ODI and keep that avg 50+ and SR 85+, I have no problem in Dhoni > Bevan.
Agree to an extent.

Till now for me, Bevan > Dhoni as ODI batsmen
But if Dhoni continues to do for a few more years what he has been doing, then he'll end up being rated higher than Bevan by me, without a doubt.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah he was great at batting with the tail but couldn't belt a team out of the game coming in to bat at the top order. An important part he lacked in his game. Thats why I think he wouldn't have been as good as some six hitting finishers we see these days like Yuvraj, Dhoni, Hussey, Symonds, etc, if he played atm.
Bevan is underrated in that aspect. If he had to; he hit out. His era didn't require it so much though. For most his career he didn't bat high enough for that to be an ask of him.

FTR, Bevan averaged 60 in the top 4.

1st inn: 51 @ 78
2nd inn: 74 @ 62

Last edited: