• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever ODI batsman

Who do you think is the best ever ODI batsman?

• Total voters

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
He has not batted at number seven for the majority of his career. He is a good ODI player, without being great in either department.
Oh yea...i know he opened quite a bit too..but i would say more then half of his innings came in the middle - lower order.

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Guess viv edges out sachin in this one.Will have to reconsider if sachin wins india the world cup

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
:-O well the black dude is arguably the best odi batsman of all time and the person who has the maximum votes in the poll ..Funny that u dont seem to recognize him....
To be fair, it's not a fantastically clear photo of him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's really hard to classify Bevan in some ways. He played so much at 6, and was a genius in guiding us home. He always talked about how he wanted to bat higher in the order, and when he got that chance he averaged 59 across 53 innings. But because of where he mainly batted, he is viewed in a somewhat less dimensional manner than someone who bats regularly in the top 3, and gets the chance to go early and, at stages, perform the same role that Bevan did (although having already faced 80+ balls).

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
IIRC when we had this discussion before, his detractors could barely cite examples when his SR actually cost us matches. It almost never did.
We're all entitled to our opinions on this.

I really disliked watching him as a player. No entertainment value and blokes batting in his style is one of the reasons that 50 over cricket is near on irrelevant now.

Give me Viv any old day of the week.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Might have not had the greatest batting style - wasn't terrible to watch IMO though - but his innings were edge of the seat stuff. Can't see how you could say he had no entertainment value.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
I tend to mark Viv down for losing his eye towards the end. If he didn't last as long, it was for a pretty significant reason.
The longeivity thing is harsh.

Viv played his first 1-dayer when he was 23 y.o. He was 39 when he finished playing ODIs. The thing is that WI only played two 1-dayers in 1973, none in 1974 and half a dozen in 1975. None before that....ever.

I don't think you can hold the longeivity thing against him.

If you gave him the same bat technology Sachin has had and brought in the boundary ropes like they have in Sachin's career I am certain he would have been as prolific as Sachin, with a faster strike rate. The numbers would have been frightening.

ODI and now 20/20 is only there for TV and entertainment value.

Viv >> Sachin >>>>>>

>>>> lots of blokes

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>> Bevan