• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Ashes Moments

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Massie, ridiculous figures.
Clarke's one was a good ball, but not as significant or shattering as when Harmison got him with the slower ball. And Harmison will probably be remembered more for that ball on these shores than anything else he ever did.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Massie and Harmison

Also, what the hell is going on in the first picture??

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As funny as Clarke's leave was, I have to vote for Harmison's delivery straight to Flintoff at 2nd slip; I can't think of many other series so perfectly defined by its first act.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Massie and Clarke.

Only one of the 2 in the 2nd battle actually happened in an Ashes series (since it's been conclusively proven that 2006/07 didn't happen)

Jarquis

Massie and Harmison

Also, what the hell is going on in the first picture??
Flintoff doing a little backflip after the dismissal. Couldn't find a picture or footage of Jones, so Fred's celebration will have to do!

King Pietersen

International Captain
Geraint and Simon Jones. That SiJo delivery is one of my favourites of all-time. The noise when the ball takes out off-stump is just magic, love it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Massie & Harmy, realistically. Jonah's ball to One Bounce was all gold and there are few funnier sights than a top order batsman being bowled shouldering arms, but SWH's second slip scarer set the (****ing, bloody) depressing tone for the winter. Although, it must be said, I reckon the 5th day at Adelaide was the defining moment of the series.

Jarquis

(22)Geraint Jones's Rebound Catch 3 vs 13 (53)Bob Massie Demolishes England

(7)Michael Clarke Shouldering Arms to Simon Jones 6 vs 11 (64)First Delivery of the 2006/07 Ashes

Jarquis

Battle #7

(26)Lee hitting Cook in the box and wishing him a happy new year.

5th Test: Australia v England at Sydney, Jan 2-5, 2007 | Cricket Commentary | Cricinfo.com
1.1 Lee to Cook, no run, swings in, right on the button ... well, right on something and Cook goes down on his haunches in discomfort and a grinning Lee follows through ... inside edge into a delicate area
Not a photo of the incident

vs

(43)Mitchell Johnson squaring up to Stuart Broad
3rd Test: England v Australia at Birmingham, Jul 30-Aug 3, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
Johnson to Broad, FOUR, what a shot. What a stroke from Broad. Johnson's giving him an absolute earful, but this is a serious stroke - off the back-foot, straight down the ground.
This is fantastic entertainment. Johnson's had enough of all this and is tearing into Broad
Johnson to Broad, 1 run, a neat flick off his hip
Broad and Johnson's eyeballing was superb in that over. Test-quality sledging by two of the younger members of these two sides, and the crowd are really on Australia's back here

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Not sure if its selective memory but I don't even remember Cook being hit in the box, I barely remember any of the series tbh.

Johnson and Broad going at each other for me.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Neither is much of an ATG Ashes moment and neither will get past Round 2.

Broad v Hapless Mitch I suppose.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Broad V Johnson, think I nominated that. Johnson looked like a massive ****, though tbf that's because he is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really surprising how much bigger Broad looks than Johnson in that pic. Think 'cos he had a teenage girl's face people tend to overlook what a unit the former is.

Anyway, Broad v Johnson.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really surprising how much bigger Broad looks than Johnson in that pic. Think 'cos he had a teenage girl's face people tend to overlook what a unit the former is.

Anyway, Broad v Johnson.
Sam Stosur has bigger shoulders than Broad though.

As for this battle, Lee for sure. Got him fair and square despite Cook's small target strategy :ph34r: