• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Ashes Moments

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd actually say Snowy's probably as well regarded down under amongst cricket fans of a certain age as he is up here too; in Sky's (rather excellent) documentary on the 70/71 tour Chappelli was very fulsome in his praise for Snow.

What I meant more was that passions were (by pretty much every account) running high on the Bodyline tour, but even at Adelaide Harold or Bill (nor the Great Satan DRJ either come to that) weren't manhandled as Snow was on the boundary on the SCG.

& obviously Lol famously wouldn't apologise for his part either; the fact his old mucker did set them at loggerheads for a time too.
Yeah that's right too. Just don't think it was done then mate. Different era. If someone turned on a stink against a player back then, more likely to be set upon by other fans I think.

I'm trying to find that clip from the 77 Test on YouTube. Just saw part one of the highlights, and it's all the old blokes getting off the planes. Some amazing names. Remember Lillee saying that when they were at the function there were so many greats there he half expected God to wander past with a beer.

Part one is here, in case anyone's interested, seeing as this is a bit of a nostalgia thread:

YouTube - 1977 Centenary Test Highlights Part 1: Australia Versus England

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm trying to find that clip from the 77 Test on YouTube. Just saw part one of the highlights, and it's all the old blokes getting off the planes. Some amazing names. Remember Lillee saying that when they were at the function there were so many greats there he half expected God to wander past with a beer.

Part one is here, in case anyone's interested, seeing as this is a bit of a nostalgia thread:

YouTube - 1977 Centenary Test Highlights Part 1: Australia Versus England
Holy crap. Knew there was a big ex player turn out, but that's nuts. Cheers for the link.

Burgey

Yeah it was huge. I remember racing home from school when it was on to watch the last session every day.

Part four here has a wonderful moment at the start where Randall doffs his hat to Lillee in the first innings. The ball he then got him out with had a fair bit on it, it should be said.

YouTube - 1977 Centenary Test Highlights Part 4: Australia Versus England

Edit: see that pose Lillee strikes as he appeals at about 2.50 where he gets Knott lbw? Every kid in Australia used to strike that pose when they thought they had a wicket. FMD he was a hero that man.

Edit2: at 4.20 in that clip is the reception given to Larwood and Voce.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So I'd say those two were pretty well respected here tbh, and not unloved. What the ACB did for them would be the equivalent of England having its 150th Test year celebrations and inviting Lillee and Thommo out onto the ground to be feted before play starts. And we all know there's no way England are magnanimous enough to do such a gentlemanly thing.
I've always found it interesting that Australians can worship Lillee and Thompson on the one hand, and cry about Bodyline on the other.

Burgey

I've always found it interesting that Australians can worship Lillee and Thompson on the one hand, and cry about Bodyline on the other.
Well if you thought Lillee and Thommo were bad, put 8 blokes in a ring around the batsman on the leg side and see how bad it would have been.

I think it was just regarded as a gentler time mate. It offended the sensibilities somewhat. Not so much the short stuff (if you've seen any footage of 1930 you'll see how Bradman treated Larwood) but the field placements gave it the feel of turning what was regarded (pretty much anyway) as a genteel sport into a blood sport.

I don't think anyone begrudges a batsman getting sconed. But if Bodyline was persisted with it would have been the death of the game.

By way of contrast, Lillee and Thommo was just good sport :ph34r: ....

YouTube - Lillee and Thompson 1974/75

Loving at 5.45 where Thommo bowls the wide that goes two bounces into the fence. That clip is actually some of the more complete footage of 74-75 I've seen

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if you thought Lillee and Thommo were bad, put 8 blokes in a ring around the batsman on the leg side and see how bad it would have been.

I think it was just regarded as a gentler time mate. It offended the sensibilities somewhat. Not so much the short stuff (if you've seen any footage of 1930 you'll see how Bradman treated Larwood) but the field placements gave it the feel of turning what was regarded (pretty much anyway) as a genteel sport into a blood sport.
I don't agree with your point that the leg-side fielders turned it into a blood sport. They just turned intimidatory bowling (and no more intimidatory than Lillee and Thomson's) into negative intimidatory bowling, because the field set that way made it so difficult to score. The blood-sport element is the same either way. In fact the guy who really did regard bowling as a blood sport, literally, was Jeff "I enjoy hitting a batsman more than getting him out. I like to see blood on the pitch" Thomson.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't agree with your point that the leg-side fielders turned it into a blood sport. They just turned intimidatory bowling (and no more intimidatory than Lillee and Thomson's) into negative intimidatory bowling, because the field set that way made it so difficult to score. The blood-sport element is the same either way. In fact the guy who really did regard bowling as a blood sport, literally, was Jeff "I enjoy hitting a batsman more than getting him out. I like to see blood on the pitch" Thomson.
Haha yeah AWTA.

vcs

So true about the Thommo part. Though I believe you have to have lived through the Bodyline era to properly understand the dynamics and perceptions about it back then.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Completely missing the context surrounding the bodyline series.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Australia lost that series.

Intimidatory bowling is only ok if Australia are winning. :ph34r:
Clearly 8-)

So sick of you English posters. I'll truly neck myself if we lose at home

Oh wait. I forgot the :ph34r: smiley. I can say whatever I want now!

Last edited: