• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag vs Sangakkara - as batsman

Who is the better bat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Very tough. They're both truly outstanding players. But it's hard to compare because they push very different buttons. I'd put my money on Sehwag to win me a match, but Sanga's the most watchable batsman in the world ATM.

Himannv

International Coach
Very different kind of players IMO. Without the burden of the gloves I think Sanga just about shades it.

• Haha
Reactions: Gob

akilana

International 12th Man
Hard to compare.. different position in the team and different kind of pressure. Overall more pressure on Sanga as he's the main batsman in the team and in 1/3 of the matches he had to keep the wickets. Sehwag has less pressure because of the awesome batting line up he's in. Would give it to Sanga.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Sehwag for me. He takes no pressure, doesn't respect spin, plunders at greater than 100 sr and calls Bangladesh ordinary.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga miles ahead without the gloves. 53 vs 70 is a huge difference. Sanga is better on difficult pitches as well. Similar to Sehwag, scores big hundreds as well.

Sehwag and Jayawardane are a better comparison as both of them are occupying spots 1 & 2 ATM in ICC rankings, and have a similar records against similar oppositions.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sanga miles ahead without the gloves. 53 vs 70 is a huge difference. Sanga is better on difficult pitches as well. Similar to Sehwag, scores big hundreds as well.
Yeah, agreed. Sangakkara's record since ditching the wicket keeping gloves is truly remarkable. He is actually, IMO, the best batsman in the world currently so it's no slight on Sehwag at all that I'm voting for him here.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Sanga is great but i think Sehwag's match winning ability puts him ahead....but honestly this is a very hard choice to make both would easily walk into any Test/ODI/T20 team....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Both really good batsmen but Sanga doesn't throw away his wicket.
Well - neither does Matthew Hoggard. Does that make him better than Sehwag too? Frankly it doesn't really matter how Sehwag gets out if he keeps scoring absurd amounts of runs. Perhaps he could be even better than he is if reigned himself in more but that's highly debatable and even if it's true, unfulfilled potential doesn't make you worse than what your output is.

I voted for Sangakkara too but Sehwag's modes of dismissal aren't really relevant - it's how many not how out.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sehwag. Have paid money just to go see him bat in the past. Would watch Sanga bat on TV but I would not care about the condition of the stadium(even if its totally wrecked) and go out there and watch Sehwag bat all day.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Depends on what context??
As a viewer or as a captain?

As a viewer, I always prefer watching left handed batsman.. I am a Tendulkar fan but prefer watching Lara bat..I think Yuvraj is a pretty average batsman but enjoy watching him when he is in full flow..And Sangakkara is actually a very very good batsman..so wristy, looks great when playing through the off side like most left handers.

However, as a captain...I would take Sehwag over any current batsman in the world other than Sachin Tendulkar..Sehwag is by far the most consistent batsman in the world..the ease with which he scores 100s makes it look like a joke..the ease with which he converts them to 150s makes it look like a joke and the amazing strike rate he manages is incredible.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
However, as a captain...I would take Sehwag over any current batsman in the world other than Sachin Tendulkar..Sehwag is by far the most consistent batsman in the world..the ease with which he scores 100s makes it look like a joke..the ease with which he converts them to 150s makes it look like a joke and the amazing strike rate he manages is incredible.
I guess this poll is not based on 'current form'...I guess we should also consider the dull period Sehwag had (which includes that South Africa series for which his average in RSA suffers) too when making the judgement. Nothing against Sehwag though- an excellent batsman, and one who might be considered better than Sanga by some.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sehwag. Have paid money just to go see him bat in the past. Would watch Sanga bat on TV but I would not care about the condition of the stadium(even if its totally wrecked) and go out there and watch Sehwag bat all day.
DWTA. For mine Sanga's batting is more pleasurable to watch. A sublime love affair.

Two very different players and very difficult to compare. A comparison I would rather not try to do.

Plus, I can't decide who the better bat is.