• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag vs Sangakkara - as batsman

Who is the better bat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok this is a criteria that is often hotly debated not only on this forum but by cricket fans all over the world.

Let me explain this in least common denominator terms to rule out any possibility for misinterpretation or misunderstanding.

Match winning ability has very little to do with whether ultimately you will win the match or not. Yes you can quote me on that.
Let me explain this with an example.
Mohammad Asif I believe is a match winner. What does that mean? He goes an wins every match for Pakistan? No
Considering Pakistan's recent form, I would hardly be surprised if stats showed he has featured in more defeats than wins.

What I mean is, he has the ability to place his team in a position of command and control of the match from where they have a very very good chance of winning the match.

This is an example. 2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Sydney, Jan 3-6, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

He set up the match for Pakistan with excellent seam bowling. He dismantled the mighty Australian top order and helped Pakistan bundle them out for 127.

That is match winning ability.

Were Pakistan in a commanding position from there? Yes
Were Pakistan in complete control of that match from there? Yes
Could Pakistan have won the match from there? Yes.

Did Pakistan win the match? No.
Does that take anything away from Asif's stupendous effort? No

Is he still a match winner? Yes.

It is often beyond the ability of one player to win a test mach completely on his own. Actually, correct that, it is impossible for one player to win a test match completely on his own.

When I say Sehwag has match winning ability, I mean he has the ability to set up a test match for India, place them in a position of command and control. Whether they ultimately go on to win that match is irrelevant. If they do, kudos to Sehwag and the team. If they dont, shame on the rest of the 10 players.
Great post.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Was that directed at me? I did not even mention Sangakkara. The reason I picked Sehwag is for other reasons not his match winning ability. Both Sehwag and Sangakkara are match winners. Never doubted that.
My post was in response to an argument brought forward that only 6 out of Sehwag's 21 centuries resulted in wins hence he is not a match winner.
I guess you could say that about alot of players, Ponting, Gilchrist, SRT, the lot. But you also must analyse other aspects of their game, the form they have been in on tough conditions, it's their commitment, ability to adapt and actual performance, which I think Sanga has achieved more times than Sehwag or infact many other players.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Good post, BW.

I've always found the "centuries in victories" type of stats to be highly artificial and unpersuasive.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Averages 91.50 against Akhtar and 309 against Saqlain.Your point?
His point was that Asif is the only bowler on earth against whom batting averages matter. Great batsmen are born with a dream to play against Asif. Any batsman who hasn't played Asif and played him well is a garbage, including the **** Donald Bradman. Asif himself is better than the combination of Barnes, Marshall, Hadlee, Lillee, Imran and Ambrose. Are you even comparing Akhtar and Saqlain to Asif? Silly you!

His point was that Asif is the only bowler on earth against whom batting averages matter. Great batsmen are born with a dream to play against Asif. Any batsman who hasn't played Asif and played him well is a garbage, including the **** Donald Bradman. Asif himself is better than the combination of Barnes, Marshall, Hadlee, Lillee, Imran and Ambrose. Are you even comparing Akhtar and Saqlain to Asif? Silly you!
:laugh:

tooextracool

International Coach
Im going to go with Sehwag because as much as I like Sangakkara, its hard to really recall any game changing performances from him. He's had a relatively unspectacular career so far whereas Sehwag has put in performances that have singlehandedly turned games on its head.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Javed Miandad - 10/23 in wins.
Imran Khan 1/6 in wins.
Hanif Mohammad - 1/12 in wins
Mohammad Yousuf 8/24 in wins
Younis Khan 7/16 in wins

8-)
Yeah, might be similar or worse for George Headley, Brian Lara, Andy Flower, Sunil Gavaskar...to name a few... :)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Im going to go with Sehwag because as much as I like Sangakkara, its hard to really recall any game changing performances from him. He's had a relatively unspectacular career so far whereas Sehwag has put in performances that have singlehandedly turned games on its head.
Averaging 55+ in tests is unspectacular? Excuse me!

DingDong

State Captain
i remember he scored 2 great centuries against nz couple of years ago.

i think the fact that he plays for sl (same for the kiwis) means he will never get the credit even when he plays brilliantly while a bopara could make a decent 60 against bangles and there will be a 5 page thread about it.

I only mentioned Akhtar and Saqlain because of someone bringing up his average "against Asif".That filter is ridiculously misleading at the best of times.....

And in all fairness to Akhtar and Saqlain most Ind-Pak matches are played on feather beds so Sehwag is at an advantage before the match even starts.