• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag vs Sangakkara - as batsman

Who is the better bat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
God this one's tough.

Sanga is better, but Sehwag would be more valuable, if choosing a team from scratch.

There are less "Sehwags" around than "Sangas" in the world, if anyone gets what I mean. Not only because Sehwag is an opener, but the rate he scores his runs, and his ability to just turn a match.

chicane

State Captain
Think Sangakkara is better but its funny how Sehwag has often proved naysayers wrong. Think he will rise in stature a lot more.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
DWTA. For mine Sanga's batting is more pleasurable to watch. A sublime love affair.

Two very different players and very difficult to compare. A comparison I would rather not try to do.

Plus, I can't decide who the better bat is.
This.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
God this one's tough.

Sanga is better, but Sehwag would be more valuable, if choosing a team from scratch.

There are less "Sehwags" around than "Sangas" in the world, if anyone gets what I mean. Not only because Sehwag is an opener, but the rate he scores his runs, and his ability to just turn a match.
And this.

akilana

International 12th Man
For all of Sehwag's match winning ability, only 6 of his 21 hundreds produced wins for India compared to Sanga's 15 out of 22.

R_D

International Debutant
Tough one to decide... Both are damn good players.
Voted for Sehwag.....

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
For all of Sehwag's match winning ability, only 6 of his 21 hundreds produced wins for India compared to Sanga's 15 out of 22.
Ok this is a criteria that is often hotly debated not only on this forum but by cricket fans all over the world.

Let me explain this in least common denominator terms to rule out any possibility for misinterpretation or misunderstanding.

Match winning ability has very little to do with whether ultimately you will win the match or not. Yes you can quote me on that.
Let me explain this with an example.
Mohammad Asif I believe is a match winner. What does that mean? He goes an wins every match for Pakistan? No
Considering Pakistan's recent form, I would hardly be surprised if stats showed he has featured in more defeats than wins.

What I mean is, he has the ability to place his team in a position of command and control of the match from where they have a very very good chance of winning the match.

This is an example. 2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Sydney, Jan 3-6, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

He set up the match for Pakistan with excellent seam bowling. He dismantled the mighty Australian top order and helped Pakistan bundle them out for 127.

That is match winning ability.

Were Pakistan in a commanding position from there? Yes
Were Pakistan in complete control of that match from there? Yes
Could Pakistan have won the match from there? Yes.

Did Pakistan win the match? No.
Does that take anything away from Asif's stupendous effort? No

Is he still a match winner? Yes.

It is often beyond the ability of one player to win a test mach completely on his own. Actually, correct that, it is impossible for one player to win a test match completely on his own.

When I say Sehwag has match winning ability, I mean he has the ability to set up a test match for India, place them in a position of command and control. Whether they ultimately go on to win that match is irrelevant. If they do, kudos to Sehwag and the team. If they dont, shame on the rest of the 10 players.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
So you are saying that Sangakkara has less match winning ability than Sehwag by being good in all conditions and by being consistent?

Being consistent it self is a matchwinning ability.

Shri

Mr. Glass
So you are saying that Sangakkara has less match winning ability than Sehwag by being good in all conditions and by being consistent?

Same could apply for Sanga. I don't necessarily see one as being better than the other.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Was that directed at me? I did not even mention Sangakkara. The reason I picked Sehwag is for other reasons not his match winning ability. Both Sehwag and Sangakkara are match winners. Never doubted that.
My post was in response to an argument brought forward that only 6 out of Sehwag's 21 centuries resulted in wins hence he is not a match winner.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ok this is a criteria that is often hotly debated not only on this forum but by cricket fans all over the world.

Let me explain this in least common denominator terms to rule out any possibility for misinterpretation or misunderstanding.

Match winning ability has very little to do with whether ultimately you will win the match or not. Yes you can quote me on that.
Let me explain this with an example.
Mohammad Asif I believe is a match winner. What does that mean? He goes an wins every match for Pakistan? No
Considering Pakistan's recent form, I would hardly be surprised if stats showed he has featured in more defeats than wins.

What I mean is, he has the ability to place his team in a position of command and control of the match from where they have a very very good chance of winning the match.

This is an example. 2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Sydney, Jan 3-6, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

He set up the match for Pakistan with excellent seam bowling. He dismantled the mighty Australian top order and helped Pakistan bundle them out for 127.

That is match winning ability.

Were Pakistan in a commanding position from there? Yes
Were Pakistan in complete control of that match from there? Yes
Could Pakistan have won the match from there? Yes.

Did Pakistan win the match? No.
Does that take anything away from Asif's stupendous effort? No

Is he still a match winner? Yes.

It is often beyond the ability of one player to win a test mach completely on his own. Actually, correct that, it is impossible for one player to win a test match completely on his own.

When I say Sehwag has match winning ability, I mean he has the ability to set up a test match for India, place them in a position of command and control. Whether they ultimately go on to win that match is irrelevant. If they do, kudos to Sehwag and the team. If they dont, shame on the rest of the 10 players.
Good post, there.

The same applies for other players. Michael Slater has featured in more wins for Australia than Brian Lara has for West Indies. Hence, Slater's centuries often coincided with win for his country than Lara's. But concluding from there that Slater is a better match-winner than Lara would be an amusing idea. That's what I call an inappropriate use of stats. Stats are good only when you have the expertise (or, should I say common sense?) to understand its meaning.

I liked your post- expressed the idea in a nice way.