• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gibbs dropping the WC

irfan

State Captain
Heard an interesting story on the radio the other day regarding Steve Waugh's infamous "You've just dropped the World Cup home" quip to Herschelle Gibbs.

Apparently Wippa :ph34r: (the local RJ here) had an Australian mate called Keith or KR as he is known. KR was holidaying in South Africa and ended up meeting and starting up a convo with none other than Herschelle Gibbs in a pub in Capetown. They shared a few beers and had a bit of yarn til Keith had the nerve to ask Gibbs "How does it feel to drop the World Cup?" :-O.

Gibbs was enraged at this guy's audacity and proceeded to belt the crap out of him. It got serious real quick and the security staff apparently had to literally kick Gibbs out.

Anywho, about 4 years later this Keith fella is in another pub in South Africa when guess who Gibbs rolled in. Gibbs is so scarred by the previous incident that he recalls him instantaneously and tells him "I can't believe you are still here". Apparently they both made up afterwards and exchanged pleasantries but still an interesting story of how easily one sledge can completely destroy a player.

Anyone else heard this story or something similar?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tugga's line always had the whiff of the apocryphal about it, I reckon. However as these things take on a life of their own I imagine Herschelle must've had X dozen wacs (sic) repeat it to him over the past decade so any drop of humour has long since been wrung out.

Fusion

Global Moderator
The ironic thing being that he never actually said the line. Per his autobiography, he said something to the effect of “look do you realize you just cost your team the game?” Yeah, I think “you just dropped the World Cup” sounds much better. One of the best lines ever.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Exactly Fusion

The whole 'you just dropped the world cup' story is a myth. Another one i heard was a myth, although loves having it attributed to him, is the Glenn McGrath/Eddo Brandes line about biscuits. We all know how it goes but one of the Zim boys told me it never happened

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heard an interesting story on the radio the other day regarding Steve Waugh's infamous "You've just dropped the World Cup home" quip to Herschelle Gibbs.

Apparently Wippa :ph34r: (the local RJ here) had an Australian mate called Keith or KR as he is known. KR was holidaying in South Africa and ended up meeting and starting up a convo with none other than Herschelle Gibbs in a pub in Capetown. They shared a few beers and had a bit of yarn til Keith had the nerve to ask Gibbs "How does it feel to drop the World Cup?" :-O.

Gibbs was enraged at this guy's audacity and proceeded to belt the crap out of him. It got serious real quick and the security staff apparently had to literally kick Gibbs out.

Anywho, about 4 years later this Keith fella is in another pub in South Africa when guess who Gibbs rolled in. Gibbs is so scarred by the previous incident that he recalls him instantaneously and tells him "I can't believe you are still here". Apparently they both made up afterwards and exchanged pleasantries but still an interesting story of how easily one sledge can completely destroy a player.

Anyone else heard this story or something similar?
Reminds me of the Father Ted episode where he sees the guy from One Foot in the Grave.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

bagapath

International Captain
ha ha. it is one thing to hear a cricketing sledge from steve waugh (if at all steve had said it!); but some good for nothing mate of an RJ repeating it to you is not on at all!! good on you herschelle, mate. never take ****. ;)

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly Fusion

The whole 'you just dropped the world cup' story is a myth. Another one i heard was a myth, although loves having it attributed to him, is the Glenn McGrath/Eddo Brandes line about biscuits. We all know how it goes but one of the Zim boys told me it never happened
Sounds good but was caught on video

Check youtube because it's everywhere

trapol

U19 12th Man
Please provide said link to mcgrath vs Eddo as i couldnt find it

Granted i only looked for about 1 min

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haven't seen it on Youtube at all, and I've seen a whole lot of cricket videos on Youtube.