• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.50-41

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have ill feelings towards Jardine - and question his placing in any all time list on the question of ethics.

bagapath

International Captain
No issues regarding the rankings system from me. Isn't the point of these lists to have 2-3 random selections that create controversy and discussion?

The influence Flintoff and Jardine have had on the game surely puts them close to a top 50most influential cricketers of all time. It's not as if Pat Symcox has made the list, so I don't get the fuss.
Pretty much my thoughts. I have no problems with any of the names so far.

Sean, this is turning out to be one of the best threads ever. And your pen portraits are definitely staying in. They make the presentation very elegant. Bravo!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because he was without peer, undoubtedly the best player on the planet and the greatest the game had seen until Grace came along. Sure it was a different game back then but that does not change the Lion of Kent's accomplishments and impact.

If someone today was to write like Chaucer then they would get no recognition but we recognise the genius of generations past based on comparisions with their contemporaries and their legacy. As such, Mynn deserves to be recognised in terms of cricket as Chaucer and Shakespeare are in English literature.

EDIT- Agree or disagree, Im relieved to see Im not the only one that thinks this way. A quick search shows that John Woodcock has him ranked 4th (a place higher than I had him)
Wisden - Woodcock's hundred

I seriously thought about including Mynn (but didn't) and was aware how highly he was rated by Woodcock and others - Part of the reason I didn't include him in the end was because his record is markedly inferior to his contemporary Fuller Pilch who seldom seems to merit a mention - at the end of the day pre 1864 (when overarm bowling was legalised) players are, I suspect, just too far back in history to make fully informed judgments about

Matt79

Global Moderator
Rolleyes at pratters carry on. Democracy at work.

Good list so far, didn't vote for any of these guys, but they're all deserved place getters. Would personally disagree that Flintoff is remotely close to being one of the ten greatest cricketers EVER, but that's why Sean asked for more than just my opinion.

JBMAC

State Captain
I have ill feelings towards Jardine - and question his placing in any all time list on the question of ethics.
Most fair dinkum aussie cricket fans think likewise BUT he, as Captain of England, had to try and curb Bradman.Bodyline was what he came up with and he was respected or feared enough by his accompanying players that they carried his somewhat dubious plan to fruition, no matter what the furore. I do nt like him but certainly respect hsi decision and sticking to it

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Great stuff, Sean... My list varies everyday and I am not even sure I know whom I voted for at this point.. (cant open my email at work :p )... But a great list and love the pen portraits..

Would love to see what you have to write on some of my favourites who I am sure will come up as we go along.. :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wouldn't have Andrew Flintoff any where near the top 100 cricketers of all time, let alone the top 50.
But the idea is to make it as true a list as possible. No one with sense can argue that Flintoff is among the top 100 cricketers of all time (as I said here, Flintoff cannot even be termed a great.)

I like the concept and I am looking forward to the rest of the list but it shouldn't stop me from pointing possible flaws. Maybe only include cricketers with at least 5 votes?
I'll vote on whatever grounds I want thanks. You never even sent in a list, get off your high horse. I voted on a combination of overall impact and also the personal impact on me. Of course that means my list will be unfairly skewed in favour of modern players, so what. It's CW's Top 50, not Pratters.

Cricket is about more than stats and Freddie's influence is, IMO, massive. Not everyone agrees and that's fine.

At 5% Freddie probably got only two votes, but they were both Top 10ers.
Nope, he was 15th in my list

chasingthedon

International Regular
In 15 minutes...

It will be 24 hours since 50-41 was posted - the clock is ticking. Enquiring minds want to know.

Seriously, great idea Sean, and although I didn't pick anyone in 50-41, I did have Grimmett.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'll vote on whatever grounds I want thanks. You never even sent in a list, get off your high horse. I voted on a combination of overall impact and also the personal impact on me. Of course that means my list will be unfairly skewed in favour of modern players, so what. It's CW's Top 50, not Pratters.

Cricket is about more than stats and Freddie's influence is, IMO, massive. Not everyone agrees and that's fine.
AWTA.

My list is entirely skewed in favour of modern players, because while I appreciate the impact on the game and legacy of guys like Grace, Hobbs, Hammond, Bradman, Headley etc. they have had little to no personal impact on me.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
None of those are in my choices, not really surprised TBH. Like I said in the other thread, I thought my 25 was fairly mainstream.