• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.50-41

pasag

RTDAS
Don't remember him averaging 27 with the ball in the same series as averaging 40 with the bat against them :p

Doesn't disprove my theory anyway
He does amazingly vs Aus and no-one considers him a great. Also Fred's figures vs Aus even less flattering then his career figures :whistling

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He does amazingly vs Aus and no-one considers him a great. Also Fred's figures vs Aus even less flattering then his career figures :whistling
Yeah - but that actually helps my point IMO, it is selective. If when comparing great players, their performances against the greatest teams are what count the most, then why isn't it that way all the time? Basically your Laxman point actually in my mind furthers what I'm saying, it's a selective use of criteria.

And yeah, I thought someone might throw in Fred's career figures against your lot, I was hoping they wouldn't :ph34r:

But the 2009 team wasn't a great one so only 05 and 06-07 should be looked at, still would only be average mind you, fair

This post probably makes no sense, bitch of a hangover and struggling to think but I know what I mean, it's all good

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah - but that actually helps my point IMO, it is selective. If when comparing great players, their performances against the greatest teams are what count the most, then why isn't it that way all the time? Basically your Laxman point actually in my mind furthers what I'm saying, it's a selective use of criteria.

And yeah, I thought someone might throw in Fred's career figures against your lot, I was hoping they wouldn't :ph34r:

But the 2009 team wasn't a great one so only 05 and 06-07 should be looked at, still would only be average mind you, fair

This post probably makes no sense, bitch of a hangover and struggling to think but I know what I mean, it's all good
Are you questioning the fact that people detract from a player if he doesn't perform against the best in comparing him to his peers, but generally won't lift a player up just because he performs against the best?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah. :)

Things must be bad when someone who disagrees with me has to tell me what I'm arguing.

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, I think they're different arguments though. Not performing against the best could be enough to keep you out of the top 25, but that doesn't mean performing against the best should put you in there.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just a question: What's the least number of Tests a Cricketer from the last decade or two would need to play before you would consider voting for him?

I wonder if some people thought Flintoff and Donald didn't play enough, even though they both played close to 80 Tests..

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Freddie deserves his place personally. Winning back the Ashes for England after 804 years doesn't make him an especially good cricketer but the memories of that series alone are more than enough for people to consider him great.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think you can make a case for Flintoff above either as a cricketer. No-one would seriously argue he's a better bowler, but in terms of all-round (pun intended) ability those who can play a meaningful hand in either suit are useful to any team.

I don't necessarily agree & didn't have any of the three in my 25, but "seriously crazy" is a stretch, IMHO. I mean, regardless of where one stands on the Murali/Warne or Lara/Sachin debates, as cricketers the latter is the more useful in both cases because their second suit is by far the stronger.
Well, obviously Flintoff is an allrounder, but I don't think you could argue (or maybe someone could) that even just taking into account the bowling of Garner or Donald, they'd win you more matches, over a longer term, than Freddie could or would. Obviously, some people disagree.

I think Freddie deserves his place personally. Winning back the Ashes for England after 804 years doesn't make him an especially good cricketer but the memories of that series alone are more than enough for people to consider him great.
Not arguing with that, but I'm seriously asking if people would actually pick him before either Donald or Garner.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Flintoff ahead of the likes of even Kapil Dev is a joke. I reiterate, Flintoff didn't do enough in his career and shouldn't be near the top 50 cricketers of all time.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just a question: What's the least number of Tests a Cricketer from the last decade or two would need to play before you would consider voting for him?

I wonder if some people thought Flintoff and Donald didn't play enough, even though they both played close to 80 Tests..
I'm more about time/longevity in years than the number of tests.