• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"HANSIE" Movie!

Best Cricket Based Movie?

• Expecting Hansie (English, South Africa)?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Precambrian

Banned
The tamil film 'Chennai 600 028' about the story of a local league rivalry was a blockbuster. It was a comedy, without any drama, and made with new faces on a shoe string budget. Cost to profit ratio, well exceeded that of lagaan.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
The tamil film 'Chennai 600 028' about the story of a local league rivalry was a blockbuster. It was a comedy, without any drama, and made with new faces on a shoe string budget. Cost to profit ratio, well exceeded that of lagaan.
I know. Heard about it released even in Telugu... Good film... But didn't watch till now...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Whoooah?! So you are saying that it's more acceptable to cheat in order to win than lose? I'm not buying it, absolutely farcical either way..
Without a doubt, absolutely. Doing drugs is one thing, but you're pretty much a traitor if you fix matches, and ought to be treated as such. When you put on your country's uniform, that's the responsibility you have.

It's sort of like shoplifting vs. mass murder.

There is a popular saying the US: "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." And people cheat all the time to win, e.g, they claim catches, they take a dive, etc. I don't see why drugs are different. You're getting an unfair advantage in order to win.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Without a doubt, absolutely. Doing drugs is one thing, but you're pretty much a traitor if you fix matches, and ought to be treated as such. When you put on your country's uniform, that's the responsibility you have.

It's sort of like shoplifting vs. mass murder.

There is a popular saying the US: "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." And people cheat all the time to win, e.g, they claim catches, they take a dive, etc. I don't see why drugs are different. You're getting an unfair advantage in order to win.
Interesting point. There's some ways of cheating that are accepted, and others that are strictly forbidden. Does taking nandrolone really give you that much more of an advantage in cricket than claiming a grounded catch, or rubbing the juice from mints on the ball? Probably not. So why is it in a league of its own as far as moral acceptability is concerned?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know if this was mentioned, but I think when you take drugs you really cheaet yourself but when you match-fix you are cheating your teammates as well.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Cricket amidst the 90s in India or Pakistan would provide more than enough fodder for a Bollywood movie with matchfixing, hot ladies. Amidst this a (short) hero starts tall. I've heard many apocryphal stories of how the Sharjah Coca Cola Trophy prefinals in 98 were fixed to be lost by Azhar, Jadeja and Mongia. And how, Tendulkar 'singlehandely' spoiled their plans with that blistering 143 despite that terrible sandstorm. That one can be fictionalised to a movie with a bit of background story workup.[/QUOTE

i really wana know sachin's side of the story on this.. maybe if he discuss this issues on his auto biography.. i am willing to buy that no mater how much it cost me..

slugger

State Vice-Captain
i read in the recent stephen fleming book re: these INDIAN bookies.. he said he could see how they move on players... to work for them (bookies) he said it wasnt until the 3rd time he had meet them that he felt un easy about it.. but when some gold bracelet was handed to him to pass on to his mother he knew there must be more to thisthan endoresments and stuff...and quickly ended the arrangements....

reading the chapter gave me the feeling there are probably many players and results that have been affected by these bookies......hansie might just be the only player to have confessed ..

all this could be resolved if india legalised gambling..

remember the bookies have only come from one country...

Precambrian

Banned
i read in the recent stephen fleming book re: these INDIAN bookies.. he said he could see how they move on players... to work for them (bookies) he said it wasnt until the 3rd time he had meet them that he felt un easy about it.. but when some gold bracelet was handed to him to pass on to his mother he knew there must be more to thisthan endoresments and stuff...and quickly ended the arrangements....

reading the chapter gave me the feeling there are probably many players and results that have been affected by these bookies......hansie might just be the only player to have confessed ..

all this could be resolved if india legalised gambling..

remember the bookies have only come from one country...
Nope, Bookies have actually come from cash flush regions of Dubai etc, and acted through agents in India Pakistan etc.

And it's not easy to take decisions like "legalise gambling" in a multi-religious India, as gambling is explicitly forbidden by some religions. And I don't think betting is a serious issue nowadays in cricket due to the sheer consequences, that people have seen hansie face.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
seems easy enough to me .. but its probably bcause of the country i live in... that on a wholee allows individual freedom..

skol

Cricket Spectator
I guess this is the beauty of the Internet. A medium for people who know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about and for some who can't make themselves heard in the real world.
I stumbled upon this site in an effort to learn more about the Hansie movie and started to read some of the rediculous statements that some individuals made without having a clue of what the movie is about.
Hansie lived the last years of his life in shame. Rejected by his own people and banned from the game he loved so much. What he did was wrong but what he went through was probably worse than jailtime. In a time when cricket and cricket players almost went through the same kind of thing as the cycling is going through ,Hansie was the man who took the fall. There were lots of other players under the spotlight but Hansie was the sacrificial lamb. And no he is not a hero for that but the game is however better off because of his wrongdoings. After the Hansie debacle cricket went thgrough a cleansing stage and is still seen today.
I look forward to the movie and truelly hope that all South Africans who don't have closure with the Hansie issue get what they are looking for. I don't really care what the rest of the world make of it honestly.

Now if we can only get the English to stop ball tampering! Well I guess they had to do something to try and win a testmatch.

skol

Cricket Spectator
Hansie good for the game after all.

I guess this is the beauty of the Internet. A medium for people who know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about and for some who can't make themselves heard in the real world.
I stumbled upon this site in an effort to learn more about the Hansie movie and started to read some of the rediculous statements that some individuals made without having a clue of what the movie is about.
Hansie lived the last years of his life in shame. Rejected by his own people and banned from the game he loved so much. What he did was wrong but what he went through was probably worse than jailtime. In a time when cricket and cricket players almost went through the same kind of thing as the cycling is going through ,Hansie was the man who took the fall. There were lots of other players under the spotlight but Hansie was the sacrificial lamb. And no he is not a hero for that but the game is however better off because of his wrongdoings. After the Hansie debacle cricket went thgrough a cleansing stage and is still seen today.
I look forward to the movie and truelly hope that all South Africans who don't have closure with the Hansie issue get what they are looking for. I don't really care what the rest of the world make of it honestly.

Now if we can only get the English to stop ball tampering! Well I guess they had to do something to try and win a testmatch.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Hoisted by his own petard, I'd say.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Don't know if this was mentioned, but I think when you take drugs you really cheaet yourself but when you match-fix you are cheating your teammates as well.
Yea. I think you cheat the opposition and try to get a more favorable outcome for your side more than anything, but players try to do that all the time, with excessive appealing, or claiming catches, etc.

But if you're match fixing, you are cheating your team mates and if playing for your country, your nation as well. There has got to be some laws that it breaks, and I'd be happy to see them in jail for it.