• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"HANSIE" Movie!

Best Cricket Based Movie?

• Expecting Hansie (English, South Africa)?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am not given to foul and abusive language but FFS ..............................
Haha, yeah I reckon. If anything came out of the court case, Hansie wasn't just deliberately under-performing, he was organising others to do so and acting as a go-between between the players and bookies. I'm sure there were others who were offered money and deliberately under-performed but Hansie's involvement puts him in a special category.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I guess this is the beauty of the Internet. A medium for people who know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about and for some who can't make themselves heard in the real world.
I stumbled upon this site in an effort to learn more about the Hansie movie and started to read some of the rediculous statements that some individuals made without having a clue of what the movie is about.
Hansie lived the last years of his life in shame. Rejected by his own people and banned from the game he loved so much. What he did was wrong but what he went through was probably worse than jailtime. In a time when cricket and cricket players almost went through the same kind of thing as the cycling is going through ,Hansie was the man who took the fall. There were lots of other players under the spotlight but Hansie was the sacrificial lamb. And no he is not a hero for that but the game is however better off because of his wrongdoings. After the Hansie debacle cricket went thgrough a cleansing stage and is still seen today.
I look forward to the movie and truelly hope that all South Africans who don't have closure with the Hansie issue get what they are looking for. I don't really care what the rest of the world make of it honestly.

Now if we can only get the English to stop ball tampering! Well I guess they had to do something to try and win a testmatch.
I agree. Some of the statements made on here are utterly rediculous. Particularly comparing drugtaking to match-fixing. Now that's rediculous.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I guess this is the beauty of the Internet. A medium for people who know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about and for some who can't make themselves heard in the real world.
I stumbled upon this site in an effort to learn more about the Hansie movie and started to read some of the rediculous statements that some individuals made without having a clue of what the movie is about.
Hansie lived the last years of his life in shame. Rejected by his own people and banned from the game he loved so much. What he did was wrong but what he went through was probably worse than jailtime. In a time when cricket and cricket players almost went through the same kind of thing as the cycling is going through ,Hansie was the man who took the fall. There were lots of other players under the spotlight but Hansie was the sacrificial lamb. And no he is not a hero for that but the game is however better off because of his wrongdoings. After the Hansie debacle cricket went thgrough a cleansing stage and is still seen today.
I look forward to the movie and truelly hope that all South Africans who don't have closure with the Hansie issue get what they are looking for. I don't really care what the rest of the world make of it honestly.

Now if we can only get the English to stop ball tampering! Well I guess they had to do something to try and win a testmatch.

The only time when posting something twice hasn't been a bad thing, because we don't have to read your other post

Langeveldt

Soutie
Going to see it next week..

HansieCast: Frank Rautenbach, Sarah Thompson, Eric Nobbs, Matthew Roberts, Brandon Auret, Sybil Coetzee
Director: Regardt Vandenbergh
Release Date: September24, 2008
We gave it:*****

As the last word on South Africa’s most tragic sporting hero, it’s a shame that Hansie doesn’t make the most of its time at the crease.
What it's about:

It’s the story that sent shockwaves through the nation. South African cricket captain Hansie Cronje, one of the most beloved public figures in the country during the 90s, becomes public enemy number one when he admits to accepting bribes from Indian bookmakers. Rejected and humiliated, Cronje is subjected to widespread criticism and faces his toughest test as he takes the road from shame and despair to forgiveness and redemption.

...this film can and should open the final debate over where Cronje fits into the great South African story.What we thought of it:

Throughout this movie, I kept asking myself: "Why has this been made?". The wounds from Hansiegate might still be fresh in the cricketing world, but elsewhere, in shacks and suburbs alike, the rest of us have moved on. Perhaps we have done so without the passion we once shared for cricket, but the whole sordid affair doesn’t seem to keep anyone up at night anymore. Except Frans Cronje, that is.

Hansie is the story of South Africa’s most tragic sporting hero, told by his brother Frans, who also produced the film. It must have been tempting to take liberties with the facts but Dr Ali Bacher, head of the United Cricket Board at the time, has praised the film for its "staggering" accuracy. Given the thin national appetite for the subject, this film can and should open the final debate of where Cronje fits into the great South African story.

Yes, the film does portray how Cronje let the whole country down. But the film offers such a broad view that it strips the tale of its moral ambivalence, and the personal complexity that pushed a man to his ruin. How Hansie Cronje went from demi-god, to pathetic villain, to object of national pity after his untimely death is obviously a Hollywood-sized story: there’s no reason he couldn't be a South African James Dean. Instead, Cronje is unflinchingly portrayed as a good guy, a patriot who just lost his concentration when Satan… ahem, the Indian bookmakers, came a-calling.

Frank Rautenbach's star turn as Cronje has its moments: there's definitely something of the Hope of Bloemfontein's manner in his winning smiles and tearful confessions on screen. But without the support of a stronger script and supporting cast, the spell is often broken. The result: Rautenbach is reduced to a pretty face in a helmet.

The casting of American actress Sarah Thompson (of Cruel Intentions 2 fame) as Bertha Cronje is baffling. Having secured top billing from the "undesirable" local talent, she proceeds to mangle a range of foreign dialects, a lá Leo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond, in a badly coached attempt to mimic the local vernacular. It’s not all her fault: in Bertha Cronje, South African cinema has one of its most one-dimensional characters ever - a servile Stepford wife only too happy to fawn over an emotionally unavailable, dishonest husband. Of course, caricatures like these exist in real life, but one feels that with more nuance, this is a story that could approach massive relevance for a curious South African public.

Nothing is held back in terms of cinematography, and in this department at least Hansie is among the slickest productions ever made in Mzansi. Elaborate tracking shots, painstaking slow motion camerawork and quality lighting set a high standard that other budget-stricken local productions should aspire to.

In the end, Frans Cronje's script finds it raison d'être in forcing us to consider why the new South Africa has chosen sports stars as its most valuable ambassadors, while demonstrating just how easy it is to slip on a pair of rose-tinted glasses when our national heroes fall from grace.

A look behind the scenes of Hansie

- Niel Bekker

Marius

International Debutant
The devil made me do it, says lone viewer of Hansie movie

BLOEMFONTEIN. The only person known to have paid money to see Hansie: The Movie says he was tricked by Satan. Hempies Smit, 28, of Brakpan, says he had no intention seeing the film about former cricket captain Hansie Cronje, but was overcome by demonic forces at the box office. Smit is believed to have seen the entire film and is currently in a critical but stable condition.

Speaking to journalists from his bed at the Gé Korsten Memorial Hospital in Bloemfontein where he is being treated for severe nausea and diarrhea brought on by prolonged exposure to the film, Smit said that he had gone to the cinema intending to watch something else, but that "dark forces" had made him buy a ticket to Hansie.

"The lady behind the counter went a bit pale, which was hectic because she was Sesotho, and she asked me if I was sure because nobody else in the country has paid their own money to see it," recalled Smit.

Describing the film as "diabolical" he confirmed that its tagline – "How do you start over once you've betrayed a nation's trust?" – was in fact a reference to Cronje's deception and not, as widely believed, a reference to the film's scriptwriter and director.

Smit said that he was still somewhat disoriented by the experience, but remembered being simultaneously overwhelmed by "intense boredom and an urgent need to run away". However, he said, he had remained in his seat "because by that stage Beelzebub was calling the shots".

However Smit said he was trying to remain positive about the ordeal.

"Look, it's a solid film, for a movie made to exonerate a deceased icon by his brother targeting a straight-to-DVD market in rural South Africa," said Smit. "To be fair there were only a handful of weak aspects."

He said that these had included the script, the directing, the camera work, the acting, and lighting and the editing.

"But for the rest it was fine," he said.

He had special praise for Sarah Thompson, the American actress who plays Cronje's Afrikaans wife Bertha, saying that Thompson had brought "genuine nuance to the role with her American German ****ney impression of Keira Knightley sitting on a carrot".

He said the film's other actresses had not had a chance to shine as their roles were limited to walking into the kitchen to prepare food for the men, or walking out of the kitchen having prepared food for the men.

Meanwhile the film's distributors have confirmed that Grey College in Bloemfontein has bought a print and will be showing it non-stop to its pupils for the next 300 years to remind them that nothing is wrong as long as you're forgiven by adolescent boys at your old high school.

http://www.hayibo.com/articles/view/876

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I can't be arsed to read the thread and the Hansie movie is about 30 years too soon.

As cricket films go I quite liked the Channel 4 piece of fluff entitled P'Tang Yang Kipperbang. A tale of young love with commentary by John Arlott. Awfully twee but it works.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
After the Hansie debacle cricket went thgrough a cleansing stage and is still seen today.
Well a big thank you to Hansie for that. I'm sure that all true cricket fans are profoundly grateful that Hansie managed to clean up the game by his noble and fearless actions.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't be arsed to read the thread and the Hansie movie is about 30 years too soon.

As cricket films go I quite liked the Channel 4 piece of fluff entitled P'Tang Yang Kipperbang. A tale of young love with commentary by John Arlott. Awfully twee but it works.
I had forgotten P'tang Yang Kipperbang but now you remind me yes it was quite superb - is it on DVD?

neville cardus

International Debutant
Your misplaced irony would have been a whit less glaring had not "skol" prudently employed the word "debacle" in the excerpt that you quote.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Your misplaced irony would have been a whit less glaring had not "skol" prudently employed the word "debacle" in the excerpt that you quote.
I'm appropriately grateful for your observations but I'll use irony when it suits me to do so thanks.

Let me remind you of the context in which that excerpt was found:

There were lots of other players under the spotlight but Hansie was the sacrificial lamb. And no he is not a hero for that but the game is however better off because of his wrongdoings. After the Hansie debacle cricket went thgrough a cleansing stage and is still seen today.
Now that kind of nonsense is fully deserving of a contemptuous response and, indeed, an ironic one. 4 quick points:

1.To call Cronje a "sacrificial lamb" is preposterous. Absolutely pitiful.

2. More importantly the unintended positive consequences of a person's misconduct are completely irrelevant to the question of the wrongdoer's culpability. There are plenty of obvious examples that I could use to illustrate the point but I expect you may be capable of grasping it without them.

3. I'm not sure what you think was meant by the expression "Hansie debacle" - it's certainly capable of bearing a range of meanings. I don't think that Skol was using it as a criticism of Cronje but rather to criticise the way in which he was "sacrificed".

4. Frankly the offensive tone that Skol has chosen to adopt invites an offensive response.