• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Messi v Cristiano

who be better

• Messi

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • Ronaldo

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Tom Nichols

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shooting from a distance though. For a time, Ronaldo was unbelievable at that.
Well he probably has a better long range shot on him than Messi because of the power, but it also could be a perception because Ronaldo tries it a lot more often.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd definitely expect that Messi has a better success rate on the 20-25 yarders. Ronaldo scores a few from further out than Messi is even capable of, but he tries them so often and loses the ball.

Pothas

Ronaldo had one of those games yesterday when he could just not score, is one of my favourite things to watch.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Messi wouldn't score as many at Real but Ronaldo would at Barca is pretty hilarious btw. Didn't realise there was so much resistance to Messi back then.

harsh.ag

Haha it would have been awesome to see Ronaldo in Barcelona for a season. Xavi would have issued an ultimatum :happy:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Find it interesting that people go on about Ronaldo winning games single handed. Apart from the daft idea that one person is going to win a game on his own (Ronaldo and Messi have both been pretty anonymous for their countries) the fact is Ronaldo makes himself the focus for everything, he takes all the penalties, free kicks. Ronaldo is also much more ball greedy and expects everything to revolve around him. In pretty much every scenario I'd rather have Messi.
what

Uppercut

Haha yeah it's not like Ronaldo's their all time leading goal scorer by a mile or anything.

Scaly piscine

Every finals I've watched Portugal Ronaldo has failed to stand out from the rest of the team.

I'm not overly interested in how many he scores in qualifiers. No different to Rooney in that respect, who's been worse than anonymous in finals. That's where it most matters.

Pothas

That time he decided to win that play-off against Sweden was pretty damn amazing, easily my favourite Ronaldo moment.

grecian

Anyway if Tom Nichols was playing for Barca or Madrid, reckon he'd score about 78 a season, so that is settled.....

vcs

:(

Cristiano is an unbelievable goalscorer. His statistics are right up there this season though looking deeper, he has cashed in against weaker sides and struggled to make a difference in tight games. For most footballers that would be more than good enough, but Cristiano is unfortunate enough to have the GOAT as his nemesis.

Messi is just unbelievable. His overall influence on games is remarkable. To be able to stand out while playing alongside Neymar, Suarez, Iniesta is testament to his greatness.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The way I see it, if you're calling for Messi as the GOAT, then Cristiano surely isn't that far behind. Yet you'd still have people arguing that Zidane or Brazilian Ronaldo are better. I just can't see it and I grew up watching those two. It's a testament to his fight that he'll never lay down and keep plugging away this extraordinary amount of goals in the face of competition by a footballing god.

vcs

Zidane wasn't a stats player TBH. Iniesta would be a better comparison with him. I think Brazilian Ronaldo would have been top-tier if not for his injuries, but unfortunately they happened, and he isn't. He became a poacher after 2002. Still an incredibly successful career if you take international football into account. Neymar will probably surpass him by the time he is done.

Loved Zidane but I think the sheer weight of numbers probably puts Cristiano ahead of him now. Having said that, Zidane did amazing things for France as a talisman which Cristiano never can replicate. It's just not in his nature or skill-set to elevate an entire team like that.

Uppercut

Ronaldo>Zidane because Ronaldo scores loads and loads of amazing goals. Let's not overthink things.