• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Messi v Cristiano

who be better

• Messi

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • Ronaldo

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Tom Nichols

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Might be a weird comparison but Messi reminds me a bit of Bradman in that whenever you really start to look into things in detail you find it truly hard to believe that there could be someone so good. In terms of output, he's miles ahead of everyone else, even Ronaldo.
really! comparing to bradman is like saying he is the g.o.a.t so are you saying messi is a greater player than maradona, pele et al? not arguing, just curious...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is, although goals are the most important thing...you could be a player that scores 0 and still be the GOAT in theory. Footballers are that dynamic and their skills that varied. It's probably more objective to compare players in similar positions/roles.

But even amongst goal scorers, Messi and Ronaldo aren't outliers. They're outliers in this current era, but there are other players with similar or better scoring records on the offensive end (Gerd Muller, Pele, Eusebio, Romario, etc) throughout history. What makes it even tougher to compare are the eras and standards of play, but more than that the teams they play in make it even more difficult to compare. Barca and Real have had ridiculously talented squads both for the league and Europe and it's definitely to their advantage.

Bradman would be more represented if you had a player that basically averaged a hat-trick every game. No one ever has come close to replicating that.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay, have changed my mind, and Have now voted. Going for the guy that didn't totally bottle the biggest moment of his career.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So are you going for the guy who missed a penalty in a Champions League final or the guy who missed a great chance in the World Cup final? Jesus christ.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cristiano is greater than Messup, no doubt, Messup can only play on his left foot and was found out easily by Van Gaal and the German Coach. Messup is overrated and failed to inspire his side in the final. Player of the tournament? Ha, Ha. Maradonna he ain'nt.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Okay, have changed my mind, and Have now voted. Going for the guy that didn't totally bottle the biggest moment of his career.
So instead of the guy who got his team through the Group almost singlehandedly and then missed a big chance in the final, you choose the guy who missed 4-5 glorious chances in his team's final group game which led to them going home early? Ok

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Read a comment that was a Guardian Pick that aligns how I think about these players.

Seriously though. I've been thinking about Messi and midfielders. Compare him to somebody like David Silva. A fantastic, creative attacking midfielder who makes goals directly and indirectly. Undoubtedly a top 5 Premier League player. Then think that Messi does his job twice as well as him as a mere distraction to putting away 60 goals a season. It's absurd.
Ronaldo doesn't get enough credit - possibly because Messi exists and he can appear a bit of a **** - but the fact that he is close puts him, for me, in the top, top echelon of players. In fact, I think he's comfortably more valuable than someone like Zidane or the fat Ronaldo. If he's a limited player because he is basically an offensive phenom, they're similarly limited for same or other reasons.

But Messi doesn't even need to score to be the best player on the pitch. Argentina just beat Paraguay 6-1 to get in the final of the Copa America, he didn't score once but assisted 3 and was involved in the others. It's not that he is a defensive beast either; but his involvement on the ball is second to none. He is a genius, some kind of savant.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Yeah that's what sets Messi apart. He's an insane goal machine but even when he's not putting the ball into the net he's always producing something. Even in the UCL final where he didn't score, he provided a lovely diagonal for the first goal and it was his run and shot which Buffon parried into Suarez's path. Basically, Scoring Messi=Scoring Ronaldo, but non-scoring Messi>non-scoring Ronaldo.

vcs

Some interesting posts in here...

2014-15 was a great season for Messi,after the slightly underwhelming 2013-14, where he had some injuries and "only" scored 41 goals.

How absurd does that sound by the way.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Some interesting posts in here...

2014-15 was a great season for Messi,after the slightly underwhelming 2013-14, where he had some injuries and "only" scored 41 goals.

How absurd does that sound by the way.
Mine :laugh:

Still maintain that all-round CMs like Mathaus and Stevie are more valuable than guys like Zidane. But Messi is the GOAT, without debate and question. Looking back on it, Uppercut had it right...he was that good then and I (and many others) could probably have made his case even then. I guess while that kind of conservative rating of players puts you in good stead 99% of the time, there are those times when you're actually looking at the greatest footballer player ever.

Last edited:

vcs

Messi was doing ridiculous things with a football as early as 2006 when he destroyed Mourinho's Chelsea (who were dominating the PL back then) on a potato patch. He stood out while playing alongside prime Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Deco etc in that game. Then the hattrick in 2007 against Real Madrid, then that goal against Getafe, and it was pretty clear he was something special even though Cristiano was putting up the numbers and winning trophies and making his claim for best in the world. He just had to stay fit and reach his potential, which he did after Guardiola came in.

Another hattrick yesterday.

Uppercut

Lots of bollocks being spoken in there but Brumby's "Messi lacks footballing intelligence" comment is particularly jarring.

Scaly piscine

Find it interesting that people go on about Ronaldo winning games single handed. Apart from the daft idea that one person is going to win a game on his own (Ronaldo and Messi have both been pretty anonymous for their countries) the fact is Ronaldo makes himself the focus for everything, he takes all the penalties, free kicks. Ronaldo is also much more ball greedy and expects everything to revolve around him. In pretty much every scenario I'd rather have Messi.

harsh.ag

Find it interesting that people go on about Ronaldo winning games single handed. Apart from the daft idea that one person is going to win a game on his own (Ronaldo and Messi have both been pretty anonymous for their countries) the fact is Ronaldo makes himself the focus for everything, he takes all the penalties, free kicks. Ronaldo is also much more ball greedy and expects everything to revolve around him. In pretty much every scenario I'd rather have Messi.
Shooting from a distance though. For a time, Ronaldo was unbelievable at that.

Scaly piscine

Shooting from a distance though. For a time, Ronaldo was unbelievable at that.
Well he probably has a better long range shot on him than Messi because of the power, but again it could simply be that Ronaldo tries it a lot more often.