• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
meh, he's trying to stay consistent over the Suarez issue. People just need to shut up and not say racist things it's easy.

Blimey, is this a game of asketball?
I don't care who it is. The FA seek it right to sanction people knowing full well there is a good chance they might not be saying what they're accusing them of saying. Unless you have sufficient evidence stop charging people.

Anyway, great win for Liverpool. Not sure why we're so **** all of a sudden in defence but we've done well to finally finish chances. We dominated the game with the ball and I read somewhere we played more passes in that game than any of our others in our history in the PL. Suarez's second was ludicrous - steal the ball, nutmeg the defender and then curl the ball with the outside of the foot into the corner of the goal.

Suarez also denied a stonewall penalty. Starting to wonder WTF is going on.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't care who it is. The FA seek it right to sanction people knowing full well there is a good chance they might not be saying what they're accusing them of saying. Unless you have sufficient evidence stop charging people.
Sufficient evidence is they said it, pretty conclusive to me, don't give a **** in what context high-powered lawyers decide it was in. As I said, which you've ignored, stop saying it you won't be charged.

Agree with you about Suarez's pens though, it's becoming silly.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
****ing hand of God - Pardew really is a ****, not to mention Demba ****ing Ba - If claiming a goal from your hand isn't unbefitting conduct then my name's John bleeding Terry :@
What did Pardew say?

Bit harsh on Ba. He admitted it was a handball after the game, not exactly his decision. Because of the somewhat ludicrous 'deliberate' handball law I don't even know if he'd committed a foul. Maybe there's a subsection that confirms he has, i don't know, but it certainly wasn't deliberate.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Conclusive can be many things, that was the point. The standard the tribunal has is far too low for the kind of impact it is going to have on someone's career/life. If just saying the word is enough - regardless of any context - then Anton Ferdinand himself said it too.

People have been debating whether Gerrard can be a passing midfielder or fit in BR's system. Last week against United he had 95% passing completion rate; this week even more impressive considering the volume of passes: 93 passes (89%), 10/13 long passes, 5 key passes, 1 goal. He's definitely been adjusting but has come leaps and bounds in the last couple weeks.

Last edited:

fredfertang

What did Pardew say?

Bit harsh on Ba. He admitted it was a handball after the game, not exactly his decision. Because of the somewhat ludicrous 'deliberate' handball law I don't even know if he'd committed a foul. Maybe there's a subsection that confirms he has, i don't know, but it certainly wasn't deliberate.
My irritation at Pards dates back to when he walked out on Reading to take the West Ham job

BoyBrumby

Englishman
His reputation. Pires never won another one after the Portsmouth dive and Suarez won't win many more in England.
Yeah, pretty much. If a player hurls himself to the ground I personally have no problem with them being denied an actual penalty or two because of it.

That said I do think there is some residual little Englanderism in the application of the unwritten rule; Rooney's a terrible (as in habitual, not terrible at it) diver and he still gets penalties. I think with players like Suarez and Pires who are very foreign there's a perception that diving is what they do, whereas the natives are more honest.

Meanwhile Cech won the game for the Chavs yesterday; pulled off two absolute blibders in the second half.

& Giroud's a dud. I think we can call it now.

grecian

Yeah, pretty much. If a player hurls himself to the ground I personally have no problem with them being denied an actual penalty or two because of it.

That said I do think there is some residual little Englanderism in the application of the unwritten rule; Rooney's a terrible (as in habitual, not terrible at it) diver and he still gets penalties. I think with players like Suarez and Pires who are very foreign there's a perception that diving is what they do, whereas the natives are more honest.

Meanwhile Cech won the game for the Chavs yesterday; pulled off two absolute blibders in the second half.

& Giroud's a dud. I think we can call it now.
This so much this, Young and Wellbeck are just as bad too.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Belter at old Trafford
Great win for Spurs. Only shame was AVB asking the Spurs players to shut up shop. Real chance Spurs could have put 6 past Manure. Rio was getting annihilated and their midfield didn't have the legs to keep with Dembele and Sandro. Silly to ask Giggs and Scholes to try and stop those guys. And why Fergie took off Kagawa I don't know. Didn't even know Carrick was playing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say Bale skinning Ferdinand sr was a pretty solid reposte to the "Rio 4 England" brigade amongst the fourth estate who've been making noises following Terry's flounce.

Might just be that Woy wasn't telling prokies when he said he'd been left out for footballing reasons.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In defence of Ferdinand there's zero chance Lescott of Jagielka would have kept up with Bale either and he was immense against Liverpool last week.

fredfertang

My irritation at Pards dates back to when he walked out on Reading to take the West Ham job
Some ****s never change

Alan Pardew has admitted that he would be interested in becoming England manager but is well aware of the pitfalls involved.

This week the Newcastle boss put pen to paper on an unprecedented eight-year contract on Tyneside, 18 months after arriving to replace the popular Chris Hughton.

The former West Ham, Reading, Charlton and Southampton manager was a controversial appointment, but the 51-year-old's stock has risen after guiding the Magpies into Europe.

Despite the length of his new deal, Pardew has confessed to harbouring international ambitions, but he feels any possibility of managing the national side is a long way in the future.

"I do have ambitions internationally, I would like to do that at some point," he told the Sunday Mirror. "Hopefully, I will see this contract out and then see what I'm going to do later on.

"I have always felt that a person can be a success as England manager. I won't change my opinion on that, but I don't think it's easy.

"Roy Hodgson probably has a tough spell as England manager because our pool of players is not as great as it used to be. Ultimately my ambition might reach that conclusion: to be England manager.

"It's not something I would not do and it's not something I want to do right now."

Pardew is wary over the effect any direct interest in the England job would have due to the speculation that surrounded the appointment of Fabio Capello's successor earlier in 2012.

"It is difficult because Harry Redknapp came out and said he wanted to be the England manager one day and he got into a situation where he lost his job at Spurs," he said.

Pardew was also keen to credit Newcastle owner Mike Ashley for the length of his new contract, after initially signing a five-year deal when he succeeded Hughton in December 2010.

"Both of us looked at the contract and felt it lacked a bit of security. So, this contract is more secure for Mike in terms of keeping me at the football club," he added.

"The eight years came from Mike. I never got to the point of talking about how long I wanted the contract for. He spoke to me about eight years - and I thought OK!"
I'd apply for Scottish citizenship if that ever happens

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Have to say Bale skinning Ferdinand sr was a pretty solid reposte to the "Rio 4 England" brigade amongst the fourth estate who've been making noises following Terry's flounce.

Might just be that Woy wasn't telling prokies when he said he'd been left out for footballing reasons.
In defence of Ferdinand there's zero chance Lescott of Jagielka would have kept up with Bale either and he was immense against Liverpool last week.
Aye. Can hardly blame Ferdinand for that. Evans made the wrong decision to keep tracking Defoe instead of switching over to Bale. Pretty much most CBs would have been done for by Bale in that situation Rio was in. Room to run and up to top speed.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aye. Can hardly blame Ferdinand for that. Evans made the wrong decision to keep tracking Defoe instead of switching over to Bale. Pretty much most CBs would have been done for by Bale in that situation Rio was in. Room to run and up to top speed.
Is there any centre half quick enough to keep up with Bale when he is in full flow?

Made Ferdinand look a chump but as you say, not many would have been able to stop him.