• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tamil Nadu Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Isn't the crime rate in Chennai super high? Recall hearing about loads of murders happening there over the summer. Doesn't surprise me really, during my time there I was constantly feeling unsafe.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I heard it's notorious for the low quality of its food. Lots of crow curries masquerading as lamb.

Zinzan

Isn't there a close fight between Chennai or Delhi for World's most polluted city?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I heard it's notorious for the low quality of its food. Lots of crow curries masquerading as lamb.
Yeah, I experienced stuff like this when I visited as well. It was reflective of a pretty horrible visit on the whole actually.

It took me a while to work out why the city is so unpleasant, but after a bit of thinking I decided it is probably the planning.

First of all, there is no drainage. I’m didn't expect to find underground drainage or some other type of complex system, but I thought there might at least be simple drainage systems at the sides of the road designed to deal with the amount of waste and rainfall expected. But, instead I found there was no drainage whatsoever in the OMR, the prestigious IT Highway (which is plagued by half a dozen tollgates with enormous fees one). There is no way out for the so-called “acid" rain that flows on the road, nor the spreading diseases and riots that can be attributed to traffic jams.

Following that, the regional feeling is just horrible; They hate non-locals, at-least the uneducated guys and who can’t and don’t want to speak English, Hindi, Telugu or any gestures. I experienced a handful of events where I felt taken for granted, and there were several moments where I was abused, harassed, and almost looted.

Before my visit someone told me “The Cost of living is cheap in Chennai”. This statement is false. What is cheap is the extremely unhygienic food (see above point about crow curry).

Lastly, I was stuck at the flood time, with no ATM s working, all roads blocked thanks to the wonderful drainage system, amplified food and drink costs of Rs.250 a bottle, very ill-treated by the poorly educated local tamil neighbors, all this finally made me swim to a safe zone to get away.

I hope I’m not harsh, but this is the feeling I left with after my visit.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, I experienced stuff like this when I visited as well. It was reflective of a pretty horrible visit on the whole actually.

It took me a while to work out why the city is so unpleasant, but after a bit of thinking I decided it is probably the planning.

First of all, there is no drainage. I’m didn't expect to find underground drainage or some other type of complex system, but I thought there might at least be simple drainage systems at the sides of the road designed to deal with the amount of waste and rainfall expected. But, instead I found there was no drainage whatsoever in the OMR, the prestigious IT Highway (which is plagued by half a dozen tollgates with enormous fees one). There is no way out for the so-called “acid" rain that flows on the road, nor the spreading diseases and riots that can be attributed to traffic jams.

Following that, the regional feeling is just horrible; They hate non-locals, at-least the uneducated guys and who can’t and don’t want to speak English, Hindi, Telugu or any gestures. I experienced a handful of events where I felt taken for granted, and there were several attempts where I was abused, harassed, and almost looted.

Before my visit someone told me “The Cost of living is cheap in Chennai”. This statement is false. What is cheap is the extremely unhygienic food (see above point about crow curry).

Lastly, I was struck at the flood time, with no ATM s working, all roads blocked with wonderful drainage system, amplified food costs of Rs.250 a bottle, very ill-treated educated local tamil neighbors, all this finally made me swim to a safe zone to get away.

I hope I’m not harsh, but this is the feeling I left with after my visit.
is this you trying to be subtle?

anil1405

International Captain
Have you been there and seen the drainage system though?

Take it from someone who has: it's absolutely vile.
Have been there couple of times. And I acknowledge what you've said. Especially how they treat non-locals. Was just pointing out to Zinzan that Chennai is far from being the worst polluted in India, forget the world (not that its something to be proud off but it reflects how poor administrative bodies are throughout the country).

The drainage system of many cities across India would come up for criticism, especially during the rainy season.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Have been there couple of times. And I acknowledge what you've said. Especially how they treat non-locals. Was just pointing out to Zinzan that Chennai is far from being the worst polluted in India, forget the world (not that its something to be proud off but it reflects how poor administrative bodies are throughout the country).

The drainage system of many cities across India would come up for criticism, especially during the rainy season.
Yeah, fair enough. Glad to hear someone else acknowledges how badly people are treated there though. Very unkind and hurtful place.

Zinzan

Nah. Not even close. Chennai wouldn't be in the list of top 10 most polluted cities in India.
I recall seeing a short docu on the pollution levels in Delhi a few years back and read a couple of articles suggesting Chennai was worse. They could have been exaggerated opinion pieces to be fair.

If you google Chennai pollution, you'll see what I mean.

Burgey

Didn't dhonisgland's father move his family from Chennai to Sudan for a better life? I'm sure I read that when he used to post on here before his unfair perma.

anil1405

International Captain
I recall seeing a short docu on the pollution levels in Delhi a few years back and read a couple of articles suggesting Chennai was worse. They could have been exaggerated opinion pieces to be fair.

If you google Chennai pollution, you'll see what I mean.
Yea, this particular info. is coming from a single source (which happens to be a daily newspaper) while rest of the sources do not have Chennai listed in line with Delhi.

The real-time air quality Index link disagrees with what you've read: Air Pollution in India: Real-time Air Quality Index Visual Map

OverratedSanity

Following that, the regional feeling is just horrible; They hate non-locals
This is pretty true, on the whole. The people there are generally less friendly, in my experience, than almost every city I've ever been to. It's a miserable place to live in if you don't have a group of friends with you to help you tune out the rest.

Spikey

Man Chennai got ****ing destroyed in this thread. Sledger dropped a ****ing nuke

Status
Not open for further replies.