• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is/was the ultimate, most proficient and masterful medium-paced-dibbly-dobbler?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
India seem to be reverting to trundling type on the current tour. If one ignores Ishant's flashy, back-of-a-length fast-medium climbers, in Binny, Kumar, Shami and (to stretch a point slightly) Jadeja they have a military-medium attack to rival NZ's quartet of Dibbly, Dobbly, Wibbly & Wobbly* (© Bumble) of a couple of decades ago that still inspires reverence in fans of the dobbers' art even now.

*Known to friends and family as Chris Harris, Gavin Larsen, Rod Latham & Willie Watson.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Shami's a bit sharp for that characterisation IMO.

Indian attack of:

7. Jadeja
8. Binny
9. Bhuvi
10. Praveen Kumar
11. Pankaj Singh

Could rival it IMO. 3 medium pacers, a spinner who may as well be a medium pacer, and Pankaj.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's funny how enjoyable it can be watching part-timers or bowlers of this ilk, perhaps for their unorthodox actions or run ups. Was a big fan of Carl Hooper, back in the day.

There could be a tangental thread out of this: who is the best sharp nippy seaming enforcers, featuring the likes of Mark Waugh.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shami's a bit sharp for that characterisation IMO.

Indian attack of:

7. Jadeja
8. Binny
9. Bhuvi
10. Praveen Kumar
11. Pankaj Singh

Could rival it IMO. 3 medium pacers, a spinner who may as well be a medium pacer, and Pankaj.
Zaheer

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Really don't think medium paced swing bowlers, the ones who can hoop it round a corner when conditions suit should classify as dibbly-dobblers. Theres more to being a dibbly-dobbler than being medium-slow, its the persistent line and length, gentle swing, and a hint of movement of the pitch that separates a dibbly-dobbler from a part timer or medium paced bowler.

GGG

State Captain
Yeah I would go with Chris Harris the amount of wickets he got Caught and Bowled shows just how deceiving he was.

Zinzan

Went hunting through scorecards to find some gruesome dobbers and jesus christ this attack

2nd Test: West Indies v New Zealand at St John's, Apr 27-May 2, 1996 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

They had Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop

We had Morrison, Larsen, Vaughan, Kennedy, Dipak, Harris

The best bit is they got the Windies out for 184 in the second dig because the only test standard bowler (well Larsen may have been but we'll never know) blitzed them.
The other hilarious thing about that tour was how coach Glenn Turner stacked the NZ's batting in the ODI series along with dibbly-dobs. This 2nd ODI in particular with Shane Thomson at 9, Larsen 10 & Dion Nash 11 :blink: 2nd ODI: West Indies v New Zealand at Port of Spain, Mar 29, 1996 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Zinzan

Larsen is the obvious choice surely. Played ODI cricket from around 1991-1999 and managed a career ER of 3.76 bowling seam-up at 115-125 kms.

kingkallis

International Coach
Gavin Larsen had amazing control on his line & length but I feel Chris Harris was smarter & masterful one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Gavin Larsen - beyond anyone else, is the king of this role.

I think had he been selected to play more test cricket he'd probably have held an average of 30, probably around a 2.2 RPO and strike rate near 70 balls.
Impossible numbers

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Love a bit of medium pace swing. Along the lines of Gooch, Butcher or Chimpy.

As I've posted before, I really enjoyed the spell of slow medium inswing bowled by Botha when Ireland beat Pakistan in the WC a few years ago.

Never liked Mascarenhas much, though.

Chris Harris was really the Rembrandt of dibbly dobblers though. Took it to extraordinary heights of weirdness.