• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fixing Scandal!!!!!

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ultimately.

- I'm not surprised at all if Lou Vincent is trying to make his involvement seem less than it actually was and casting dispersions on other players to try and limit the damage to himself. Lou obviously acted in a "leading capacity" in the way he fixed certain county games and its all too easy for him to simply say "But I was just the lackey"

- While you could argue that Vettori, McCullum and Fleming are all in positions where they would communicate with Modi frequently due to their roles in the IPL, it takes a certain amount of cynicism to think all three can be bought off into telling a story that is fabricated.

- The release to the media from the ICC has created a circus in which Cairns knows his best position is to basically point out how badly flawed the process has been, how the accusations have been managed and raised and how despite his Cairns vs Modi court case being one that ACSU had people testify in, none of these accusations were raised at that time.

- Cairns is basically using the media to make this a circus and create technicality based arguments, meaning I'm highly doubtful he will ever be formally charged or convicted of any match fixing. I do not think for a second there will be any exoneration for him but basically the process has been so flawed that without his direct admission of guilt, he knows that circumstantially there are too many questions to find beyond reasonable doubt that he was involved in match fixing.
yeah, that's what I was just thinking. I highly doubt McCullum, Fleming, Vettori and Vincent's ex wife are lying. But the delays and the fact that the evidence didn't go to the court when the libel case was happening raise concerns that Cairns' lawyer will milk the crap out of.

Blocky

Banned
The scarier factor to consider though is if Cairns is being honest about the whole thing and Modi has managed to put this many hooks into people.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Again though, if that's the case then why didn't these people testify against Cairns in the 2012 trial?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Again though, if that's the case then why didn't these people testify against Cairns in the 2012 trial?
They probably weren't willing to do so, and seeking to compel a witness to turn up at court for a civil case is a risky business, and I'm not sure its even possible if the witness is from outside the UK anyway

As for Vincent the trouble with him is that he has a huge ulterior motive in spreading the blame and with Modi having already done the groundwork for him Cairns is an easy target - I'd want something much more compelling than his evidence before I started to seriously wonder about Cairns

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Hang on, the people that are saying 'maybe Modi bought these people off' are missing the logic flaw in that proposition, namely - why wouldn't they have testified to his benefit at the defamation trial???

I find this whole 'dark forces' , 'dark forces are trying to destroy Chris Cairns' stuff a) racist b) utterly absurd c) a blatant pandering to the myriad paranoid conspiracy theorists amongst us who still think Elvis was kidnapped by aliens working for the CIA.

Chris Cairns was a crusader for justice who spoke up about the health of the game and is consequently being crucified by mysterious 'dark forces'?????????
NONSENSE, RUBBISH, BULLDUST.

Chris Cairns was a hero of mine, and one of our best ever players.
I find his conduct abhorrent, I think he's a disgusting individual. The thought that our captain - an exemplary individual, a man of high principles - is a lackey of Modi, a puppet in the pocket of 'dark forces - is absolutely absurb. Anyone who believes that probably still thinks that the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Noone thinks any of that, we're just putting forward what his likely case will be.

It is odd that noone testified at Modi's trial, but it seems more likely that that was due to the ICC's incompetence than anything else.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Noone thinks any of that, we're just putting forward what his likely case will be.

It is odd that noone testified at Modi's trial, but it seems more likely that that was due to the ICC's incompetence than anything else.
Or that by the 2012 Modi was considered to be poison to anyone who wanted to work in the IPl with Srini et. al. so they all stuck well clear.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I've always been of the opinion Kiwi's were dodgy as ****, man.
Probably but if the aussies and poms (I have no idea where your from) wish to act all high and mighty you only have to look in your back yard, The last over that Faulkner bowled to Mumbai stunk, as did the fact that fixing has been common in english T20 (based on Westfield and Vincents coherts), if anyone thinks this is a problem confined just to NZ and Pakistani nations then they are on a different planet

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hang on, the people that are saying 'maybe Modi bought these people off' are missing the logic flaw in that proposition, namely - why wouldn't they have testified to his benefit at the defamation trial???

I find this whole 'dark forces' , 'dark forces are trying to destroy Chris Cairns' stuff a) racist b) utterly absurd c) a blatant pandering to the myriad paranoid conspiracy theorists amongst us who still think Elvis was kidnapped by aliens working for the CIA.

Chris Cairns was a crusader for justice who spoke up about the health of the game and is consequently being crucified by mysterious 'dark forces'?????????
NONSENSE, RUBBISH, BULLDUST.

Chris Cairns was a hero of mine, and one of our best ever players.
I find his conduct abhorrent, I think he's a disgusting individual. The thought that our captain - an exemplary individual, a man of high principles - is a lackey of Modi, a puppet in the pocket of 'dark forces - is absolutely absurb. Anyone who believes that probably still thinks that the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese.
I made a post before about the dark forces quote then deleted it because I didn't think anyone would understand my point. I will have a go at explaining myself however I expect to be misunderstood and paid out.

The dark forces quote whether it was contrived or not was the most "genuine" peice of commentary he made that would be close to what a victim would say. If he is innocent then he would have had countless sleepless nights thinking horrible thoughts about his "persecutors" and would regard the whole campaign against him as malevolent and not holy. If he is guilty and he invented it then he is brilliant because it is the only comment that caught my ear. The rest of the statement was very restrained to avoid any legal complications.
In no way was the comment intended to be racist. It was about evil forces.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
- Cairns is basically using the media to make this a circus and create technicality based arguments, meaning I'm highly doubtful he will ever be formally charged or convicted of any match fixing. I do not think for a second there will be any exoneration for him but basically the process has been so flawed that without his direct admission of guilt, he knows that circumstantially there are too many questions to find beyond reasonable doubt that he was involved in match fixing.
So fine he will come through this but with his reputation severely tarnished. What next? What will he do to put food on the table? Cricket people won't hire him, business people may or may not hire him, and he can't work in sales in any capacity or deal with members of the public. He may have to go overseas to a non cricketing country with his family.

I would be wanting this to end in a trial if I were him to give him a chance at being found not guilty.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
if he's not taken to court for perjury than I imagine he still has the small matter of a million pounds to sort himself out with. Plus whatever money his "ambitious" wife made (I'm sorry, I realise it's not fair to bring his wife into this but let me run with it) as well as whatever he successfully hid away during his corrupt years.

I don't think he's broke.

And if he is...I don't really care.

BeeGee

International Captain
What will he do to put food on the table?
He could start some kind of confectionery business. Fudge, maybe?

The Cairns Fudge Sour Ball. It starts out sweet and delicious, but ends up leaving a sour taste in your mouth.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He could start some kind of confectionery business. Fudge, maybe?

The Cairns Fudge Sour Ball. It starts out sweet and delicious, but ends up leaving a sour taste in your mouth.
You're a brave man - wouldn't catch me suggesting to Chris Cairns that he's a fudge packer

Binkley

U19 Captain
One thing that worries me is that, according to Cairns, one of Mills, Vettori and Fleming told investigators that "they couldn't remember" McCullum telling them about Cairns' approach. Assuming Cairns is guilty, then that player almost certainly lied to the investigator. Being told that a star of New Zealand cricket is a filthy fixer is not something anyone without Alzheimer's is going to forget. So why did that player lie? To protect Cairns? That seems unlikely given that he has been busy burning bridges. Because they don't like authority figures and just want to stick it to "the man"? Unlikely because those three are all pretty much "the man" themselves when it comes to cricket in this country. The only other reason I can think of is that they lied to protect someone else. And given that Fleming and Vettori are armpit deep in Indian cricket that worries me, given the allegations of corruption in the IPL and within the upper reaches of the BCCI - and the fact that the Vincent/Cairns paymaster appears to have been an Indian bookie.