Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you rate Allan Lamb?

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar

How do you rate Allan Lamb?

Recently I read more about Allan Lamb. He was one of the better players of fast bowling and was successful against the likes of Marshall, Garner, Holding. His Test average of 36 doesn't make justice to his playing ability I guess. Does he belong among the greats? How do you rate him?
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Sheepishly.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

jan
    I rate lamb highly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    aspiring social cricket player, left-handed batsman, grainy low-res streams watcher

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Frustratingly inconsistent, less than reliable against the moving ball at whatever speed it came at him, and tried far too hard to place him self in Ian Botham's social slipstream, but on his day he made you realise that the West Indies quick bowlers weren't invincible

State Captain
    Class bat against pace but I saw him bat like an American against Sivaramakrishnan once and made me think that if he played in an era stronger in spin might have struggled to play international cricket.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Wasted talent!
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    I rate Lamb slightly lower than Gower and Robin Smith.

But all 3 had two things in common - their talent was great to watch, but hugely frustrating when they got out all too soon.
    PRE WWI
    Grace-Trumper-Hill-Taylor-Ranjitsinhji-Faulkner-Noble-Lilley-Turner-Richardson-Barnes
    PRE WWII
    Hobbs-Sutcliffe-Bradman-Hammond-Headley-Macartney-Ames-Gregory-Larwood-O'Reilly-Grimmett
    POST WWII
    Hutton-Simpson-Kanhai-Pollock-Harvey-Sobers-Waite-Benaud-Davidson-Lindwall-Trueman
    PACKER ERA
    Gavaskar-Greenidge-Richards-Chappell-Lloyd-Botham-Imran-Knott-Lillee-Holding-Underwood
    MODERN ERA
    Hayden-Langer-Ponting-Tendulkar-Lara-Kallis-Gilchrist-Marshall-Warne-Ambrose-McGrath

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Sheepishly.
    haha......that's more against spin than pace though.....

probably earned more fame in the ball tampering controversy and subsequent legal squabbles than his playing days I suppose.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Average.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    cricinfo lists his nick name as Lambie, If I had a dollar for the number of nicknames which are just ie at the end...yes I am weighing in with the important issue here.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    cricinfo lists his nick name as Lambie, If I had a dollar for the number of nicknames which are just ie at the end...yes I am weighing in with the important issue here.
    You wouldn't be very rich. Most nicknames that add that sound to end of a name use just the letter Y.

Besides that, Lamb was high class. His batting average and number of small scores is one of the most inexplicable deficiencies in Test history.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    A good batsman, but not a great batsman.

H4G
    Banned
    He was a pretty ordinary batsman but I still remember him because of this case

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Class bat against pace but I saw him bat like an American against Sivaramakrishnan once and made me think that if he played in an era stronger in spin might have struggled to play international cricket.
    Made me chuckle.

Anyway I came here to say that his record against the Windies is bafflingly overstated. Averaged 34 against them. Admittedly better than most of his hapless team mates, but still on the mediocre side.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Made me chuckle.

Anyway I came here to say that his record against the Windies is bafflingly overstated. Averaged 34 against them. Admittedly better than most of his hapless team mates, but still on the mediocre side.
    He had 7 centuries along side an otherwise poor record. Everyone else had just the poor record.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information