Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: ***Official*** Zimbabwe in West Indies, 2013

More inept play against spin. Given the amount of spinners in the Logan Cup there is no real excuse. Yeah, Shillingford is better than the spin they face at home, but they still should have done better. Zimbabwe have produced good players of spin in the past. Clearly there is work to do.

I think we can take heart from Jarvis' performances.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Starting to look like another three day Test - 12 wickets down with more than 15 overs left tonight. Darren Bravo has been disappointing for a while now.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Was surprised to see that Williams hadn't played Test Cricket yet.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Was surprised to see that Williams hadn't played Test Cricket yet.
    He quits Zimbabwe Cricket and runs off South Africa pretty regularly; the moons of his availability and Zimbabwe actually playing a Test hadn't ever quite lined up before now.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Saw Shillingford bowl a lot more last night and I'm sorry but that action should not be allowed

IIRC, the 15 degree rule was brought in because any flexion below that amount is invisible to the naked eye

Well, it's visible with him so that tells me one thing

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    100 for Gayle - four 6s but still quite a restrained effort. Hopefully he'll still be batting when Sky coverage resumes in an hour's time.

OK I'll shut up now.
    Last edited by stumpski; 21-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Into West Indies' tail.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Saw Shillingford bowl a lot more last night and I'm sorry but that action should not be allowed

IIRC, the 15 degree rule was brought in because any flexion below that amount is invisible to the naked eye

I agree, particularly his doosra, there is an obvious kink. This always happens, he gets picked at international level, gets wickets and then gets called. He then goes to Australia, gets remedial action etc, passes all the tests. Then as soon as he bowls at the highest level again his action deteriorates.

Mind you, he is not the most obvious pelter in this match. That honour goes to Prosper Utseya whose action is among the worst I have seen. If he was any good he would have been called by now.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I wonder if Zimbabwe learnt anything from the 2nd innings of the first test. I doubt it but hope they can find some fight. The top four really need to step up here instead of crumbling

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post

I admire people who have still kept it up against chuckers. I've never been too emotively concerned with it, but if I was, I certainly would have lost the will by now after watching the likes of Shillingford (and others) bowl. Of course, maybe all naked eye judgements are wrong and no one is really breaking the rules but the evidence (how far over the limit Samuels was, Ajmal noting in interview that he has been given special dispensation) seems to point otherwise.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    IIRC, wasn't Ajmal's "dispensation" a misunderstanding though. His elbow starts from quite an angle but it doesn't flex that much really?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    IIRC, wasn't Ajmal's "dispensation" a misunderstanding though. His elbow starts from quite an angle but it doesn't flex that much really?
    Yes. Common consensus was that it was a misunderstanding. It is always little inconclusive pieces of evidence that point to their being more chuckers in world cricket than are convicted. The broader point I was making though is that it is hard to be more than apathetic at this point if you do believe that.

Out of interest, why is Nikita Miller not more strongly considered for Test selection? I know he's played one Test but he has 236 FC wickets at 15.96, which is pretty special.

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Out of interest, why is Nikita Miller not more strongly considered for Test selection? I know he's played one Test but he has 236 FC wickets at 15.96, which is pretty special.
    At international level before he's merely been a containing bowler, no tricks, no big spin, just someone who can dry up the runs, but somehow at regional level he turns into Hereth and starts taking wickets galor!! , in truth for the last five years or so the spinners have ruled the roost in the caribbean, it's only now that more and more young pacers are stepping up and getting amoungst the wickets aswell.

And to be fair his record is good but Narine has taken 41 wickets in his last four Fc matches!! , the only difference is Narine's domestic games are often cut short by playing for WI or the IPL, if he played the last four seasons straight he'd be miles ahead of Miller imo,

He's only 30 though and maybe a stint in the A-team could be in order to see what he can do, if Bruce Martin can step up then why not Nikita?

In closing just to add that another reason why he might not get a chance in the test side is because he has a well documented beef with Marlon Samuels, so bringing him in might not be the best thing for the dressing room right now.
    Last edited by WindieWeathers; 25-03-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    One Day cups- Champions trophy winners-T20 cup-29 test series without defeat record- and some think we're a "minnow".

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information