• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Howe_zat

Audio File
The T20 squad is still pretty dire, and there's no KP in the ODI side for some reason, presumably informed player management of some form

No Bopara anywhere seems a bit blunt

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see Bresnan finally get dropped, about 8 months too late. He has to go back to Yorkshire and prove he is fit and firing again. Pleased for Woakes, doubt he'll play but he deserves the chance to be in the squad at least.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England almost exactly followed my guidance.

Test
Woakes in for Bresnan. All else as expected

ODI
Harris in for Meaker and Dernbach
No Kieswetter
Root in

Lions
Clarke and Jamie Overton in.

Happy with those squads.
btw it's Craig Overton who has been called up:)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
One has to wonder why Bresnan was commanding a place in the all forms of the game if Miller, the chairman of selectors, knew he was struggling all along? Especially when a guy like Onions has just come off the season he has.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
And Ben Foakes in the Lions squad? I know that in essence some players are earmarked because of their potential, with him showing that at U19 level for his country, but they've overlooked some alternatives who may feel they have a case (Davies, Ambrose and even Foster spring to mind).

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
btw it's Craig Overton who has been called up:)
**** me. my bad.

interesting. From what I;ve seen and read, Jamie is the out and out quick bowler with possibly a few fitness problems and a bit of a lower order slogger with the bat. And Craig is more the allrounder type who is a correct batsman and more medium paced bowler with good variations.

Both have been with the young bowlers squad this winter at Loughborough. That list included (J Overton, C Overton, Mills, Topley, Willey, Matt Dunn(surrey), Tom Helm(middlesex).

What is interesting is that Clarke and Overton are both genuine allrounders - and that's an area where england are short on at present. If Clarke does well there is a spot available at 6 or 7 in english conditions over Samit as the 5th bowler.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
And Ben Foakes in the Lions squad? I know that in essence some players are earmarked because of their potential, with him showing that at U19 level for his country, but they've overlooked some alternatives who may feel they have a case (Davies, Ambrose and even Foster spring to mind).
I don't think Foakes is next in line but they obviously rate him. Davies' chance will come again but he had a poor season and England are aware of what he can do. Ambrose and Foster are better players than Foakes but they have no chance of playing for England again( well foster has an outside chance but ambrose has nothing imo) so there is no point.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Regardless of his woes over the last year I'm not sold on the idea that Finn's a better Test bowler than Bresnan.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't see how you could come to any other conclusion based on the last few months. Is Finn as good as Bresnan per-injury? No, but he is quite obviously better right now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, cricinfo said since his comeback Bresnan is averaging 55 with the ball, whereas pre it was 23.

Something clearly awry, just hope it isn't terminal.