• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon a draw at only 5.00 is weird as well, it's definitely going to be a win for someone either way.
Nah Kane Williamson batting for two days to save the game is a possibility with Doug and Watling giving him epic stands.

Us winning is pretty remote unless like briony says SA are caught unprepared.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah I'm happy with this line-up.

I'm not worried about the bowlers. They will take wickets.
Yeah, I'm not going to bitch about that line up. It's the best we can select atm. Throw Taylor, Ryder, and Southee in there and we have a decent team. Who would everyone pick out of Wagner and Martin? It seems most people are leaning towards the latter.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd take Martin because he's had more success against SA, although Wagner does have experience in SA.....

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would go with Wagner, more for his ability with an older ball to get it to reverse.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if both played instead of Bracewell

Flem274*

123/5
Martin, because according to sauces Wagner has issues with scuffing the wrong side of the ball up apparently (haven't seen enough red ball cricket of him to know, so disregard if I'm wrong), and Marto has a fantastic record against and in South Africa.

I don't expect Marto to be great, but he won't affect the performance of the other bowlers.

I don't expect much from this series, but I have calmed down enough to hope we win. I still think Hesson is a chump and McCullum is the wrong choice as skipper, but there are 10 other players on the field and I've never believed in the "hope we lose for the greater good" mantra because NZ have done enough losing for two test nations and more losing won't change anything because NZC will always stick their heads in the sand.

Hesson will be gone soon enough. It's a shame because by all accounts he brings an attention to detail that I think could have benefitted this side but his forays into shenanigans have damaged his effectiveness, reputation and probably his future career prospects.

Besides, we're going to lose regardless so no need to hope for it.:ph34r:

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Martin, because according to sauces Wagner has issues with scuffing the wrong side of the ball up apparently (haven't seen enough red ball cricket of him to know, so disregard if I'm wrong), and Marto has a fantastic record against and in South Africa.

I don't expect Marto to be great, but he won't affect the performance of the other bowlers.

I don't expect much from this series, but I have calmed down enough to hope we win. I still think Hesson is a chump and McCullum is the wrong choice as skipper, but there are 10 other players on the field and I've never believed in the "hope we lose for the greater good" mantra because NZ have done enough losing for two test nations and more losing won't change anything because NZC will always stick their heads in the sand.

Hesson will be gone soon enough. It's a shame because by all accounts he brings an attention to detail that I think could have benefitted this side but his forays into shenanigans have damaged his effectiveness, reputation and probably his future career prospects.

Besides, we're going to lose regardless so no need to hope for it.:ph34r:
:laugh:

I think it was Doull that noticed Wagner was scuffing the wrong side of the ball up when we were playing the West Indies.

The thing about this Hesson/McCullum hate from within New Zealand is, no one outside the country actually cares. People who watch cricket around the world only care about their own team, and how much of a challenge we're going to be. They won't turn on the TV and watch us play if we're consistently losing, bringing over half-strength squads etc. The perception of our team is only going to get worse. You can already see the "stepping stone" articles that have been coming out lately to see everyone views our team as an absolute joke. I hope by the time the England series comes along, we have a proper full-strength side, and people can just pretend to get along. I had to watch us lose 4-0 to ****ing Bangladesh, and now all this bull**** is going on. Imagine this team with Southee, Taylor, Ryder, and maybe Vettori. We could actually look like a half decent side. I haven't seen one of those from us in ages.

Howsie

International Captain
Martin, because according to sauces Wagner has issues with scuffing the wrong side of the ball up apparently (haven't seen enough red ball cricket of him to know, so disregard if I'm wrong), and Marto has a fantastic record against and in South Africa
He's 38 and quite possily half the bowler he was 18 months ago. I honestly can't see how what he did 5, 10, 20 years ago has more relevance than what he hasn't done over the past 12 months, and that's not take wickets. Our bowling attack has taken massive strides over the past six months, why not give Wagner and run and see what we have? We're going to lose anyway, might aswell do it with players who will be here in a years time.

That and our lower order will be ridiculously **** if he plays.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
What is the point of calling a warmup match off early? It's about the practice, not the result. And it's not like we don't need the practice.

Briony

International Debutant
That SA side didn't do too badly considering they were only their second tier first class players.

Days of Grace

International Captain
That SA side didn't do too badly considering they were only their second tier first class players.
And what does that tell you about New Zealand?

Jesus, this is going to be so horrible. I'll I'm imaging is South Africa on 400/2 and New Zealand being 30/4.