• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Indeed it is, but you'd think that with Finn being ahead of him in the pecking order before the Tour, then proving his fitness and picking up wickets he's maintained that position and probably put himself ahead of Broad for the Third Test.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Indeed it is, but you'd think that with Finn being ahead of him in the pecking order before the Tour, then proving his fitness and picking up wickets he's maintained that position and probably put himself ahead of Broad for the Third Test.
Yeah indeed.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Bit of both. He missed the tour games because of injury so he's obviously not match fit yet but I would've expected him to be on his game for the second Test after getting some miles in his legs during the first and he was still ****.

This is the thing though - Finn's been injured for a little while too now. So do you bring him in partially underdone because you think Broad's problems are form related rather than fitness related, or do you back Broad to start coming good in the third Test now that he's had some matches under his belt?
Really, us armchair selectors don't really know. Broad is clearly down on pace and hostility, whether that is injury related or not I don't know. But only Flower and co know whether Finn is down on pace or not. If he isn't, then you might as well throw him in there.

Also, just a thought, but could Broad's problems have gone as far back as the injury he picked up in Sri Lanka? I know he picked up 11 wickets in the first test against West Indies, but he was definitely much floatier and slower than he was in the UAE and against India the previous summer.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cricinfo have a report

England in India 2012-13 : Steven Finn takes five to boost Test chances | Cricket News | India v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Somewhat annoyed that they won't tell you how many the oppo got in the day, though, or any mention of who they were.

Apparantly Kerrigan took a few too. Completely forgot he was on tour.
Surely a scorecard wouldn't be too much to hope for? World's biggest cricket website, my Aunt Fanny.

Anyway, it's not just us armchair selectors worried about Broad, Sakes not HP either.

The Greatest Living Victorian said:
It is a bit of an issue. He has not bowled as we would have liked. But he's not the first bowler to come over here and find it hard.

Stuart's not a great, yet. He has to learn ways to become great. If he gets the next Test he has to be ready for it. During my tenure as bowling coach, I haven't had too many players down in confidence and form. I hope I can do some stuff over the next few days that can help.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha what was the actual XI they played? Any established ranji players or mostly 19 year old IPL wannabes?
As I said before, most of the quality players would be playing in the Ranji this week anyways, so it's fair to assume it was a side that probably < Plate standard.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cheers BI. Seems like a mixture of domestic second XI and club cricketers, as expected. Mohammed Amir playing snuck under the radar though.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So if Broad is tweeting about losing 5kg in last week and saying if you want to lose weight have what i've had why the hell was he played in the test match? I am presuming this is his excuse for his piss poor performance in the last game but you have to question the management for playing him if he wasn't fit.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's one of those things in sport. If you play with an injury and do well, you're a hero. If you suck, you're an idiot who cost the team. You gotta know that going in as a professional sportsperson. Obviously all these guys are hugely competitive and want to play at all costs so I can see them minimizing their injury to the physio or whatever...but assuming the physio/team doctor didn't know about it (if they did, they should have benched him if they thought it was serious), he shouldn't mention it now because it just sounds like excuses.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So if Broad is tweeting about losing 5kg in last week and saying if you want to lose weight have what i've had why the hell was he played in the test match? I am presuming this is his excuse for his piss poor performance in the last game but you have to question the management for playing him if he wasn't fit.
did he tweet it before or after the test?

after and it's definitely an excuse.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So in this joke match Joe Root scored 166. Next best Ben Foakes with 90.

Well, shouldn't matter given the oppo, but thry could perhaps think of putting in Root over Patel, and move Straightoutta in his natural position.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's not beyond the realms, I guess. Root does bowl slightly after all.

However, with Monty I think it's just a question of our six best batsman. If, as seems possible, Broad is getting the arse, the tail will be lengthened unless we bring Bres back, which seems unlikely, so the top seven are going to have to fire as our 9, 10 and jack won't be hanging around long.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So, Ojha is now ahead of both Swann and Anderson in ICC rankings...

1 858 D.W. Steyn
2 838 H.M.R.K.B. Herath
3 832 V.D. Philander
3 832 Saeed Ajmal
5 767 P.P. Ojha
6 755 G.P. Swann
7 752 B.W. Hilfenhaus
8 741 M. Morkel
9 740 P.M. Siddle
10 727 J.M. Anderson