• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW All Time XI All Rounders

CW All Time XI All-Rounders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Miler was in my top 5 on the top 50 thingy but has to just miss out. Think you have to have six great batsmen in an all time side so it's always going to be Sobers and them Imran edges out Hadlee for the second spot.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Interestingly enough, Imran averaged 61.86 from 23 innings batting at 6. This includes 8 not outs, mind you.
So what? An average is an average. Not outs don't artificially inflate your average. If anything they depress it, for reasons frequently explained by me and just as frequently ignored by nearly everyone else

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So what? An average is an average. Not outs don't artificially inflate your average. If anything they depress it, for reasons frequently explained by me and just as frequently ignored by nearly everyone else
It's tough being a visionary who is continually ignored - were he still with us Richard would doubtless confirm

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think it's a fair qualification to be making, because while I agree with your point with regards to his average; quoting his average in such a circumstance can overstate the tangible effect that his batting had on the cricket matches in question.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's a fair qualification to be making, because while I agree with your point with regards to his average; quoting his average in such a circumstance can overstate the tangible effect that his batting had on the cricket matches in question.
Or because he did not get enough chances to pile up 50's and 100's at that position, looking at number of 50+ scores can understate his contribution. Using the batting average corrects this. You are as likely to make ten scores of 10* as you are to make one score of 100*.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
Agreed. It seems I should have just stated the figures and finished it at that :P

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not officially, but think that this one can more or less be called for Sobers and Imran, the best batsman and bowler of the lot.

weeman27bob

International Regular
It's tough being a visionary who is continually ignored - were he still with us Richard would doubtless confirm
I can't understand why people think you should rate a team based on their results. Instead it should be based on how good they are on paper. :ph34r:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Or because he did not get enough chances to pile up 50's and 100's at that position, looking at number of 50+ scores can understate his contribution. Using the batting average corrects this. You are as likely to make ten scores of 10* as you are to make one score of 100*.
How many games is he going to affect with all those 10 not outs? Square root of zero, I'd guess.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
So why not vote for Hadlee as the person selected will be your third bowler and batting at 8 with this line up Hadlee's batting will be more than good enough.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I agree in that I don't think it does much to the average in general, but I think it is worth pointing out in this case.

8 out of 23 innings being not out is very unusual for a no.6, and is closer to the kind of not out ratio you'd expect of a good no.8, so it suggests that Imran was batting at no.6 to prop up a side that would typically fall away beneath him. He didn't have much experience of batting in a top quality middle order, something that should be consdered for World XI selection.

More to the point, an average is simply runs/dismissals, so the 8 not outs reduces the sample size down to 15, which is pants.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Making this one official as well, Sir Garfield Sobers and Imran Khan. Once again thanks for voting.