Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

CW50 2nd Edition - No 06

Number 06 Malcolm Marshall

Highest Ranking 2
    Total Points 839
    Number of Votes Received 51/57
    Rank in 1st Edition 9

What they said of him

“If I was given the chance to trade myself for another fast bowler I would trade myself with Malcolm Marshall as quickly as the snap of my fingers” (Wasim Akram, arguably the greatest left arm pace bowler of all time, on his fast bowling idol)

“He bounced me first ball, but if that was hardly surprising, what did alarm me was that I never saw it. My only acquaintance with the projectile was a hissing sound and a slight draught passing my nose. On a bright sunny day it was enough to bring more than the odd lingering doubt to the surface. (Derek Pringle, former England seamer certainly understood the perils of facing Malcolm Marshall)

“He was simply the most brilliant bowler of my time, terribly awkward to play and very quick, always wonderfully aware and intelligent, always plotting and probing.” (Graham Gooch, himself one of the finest openers of all time discusses the bowling of Malcolm Marshall)

Malcolm Marshall

Malcolm Marshall slithered to the crease on the angle, pitter-pat feet twinkling as if in dancing shoes. It was reminiscent of a sidewinder on the attack. He maintained mastery of orthodox outswing and inswing from a neutral position without telegraphing his intent. He was lithe, with a wickedly fast arm that elevated him to express status. Only in inches was he lacking - but he even turned that to his advantage with a bouncer as malicious as they come, skidding on to the batsman. Later in his career, he developed a devastating legcutter which he used on dusty pitches. Allied to a massive cricket intelligence, stamina and courage, Marshall had all the toys and he knew how and when to play with them. His strike rate of 46.22 was phenomenal, his average of 20.95 equally so. He may well have been the finest fast bowler of them all. Even in the formidable line-up of West Indians whose speed and ferocity dominated world cricket for the last quarter of the 20th century, Marshall stood out: he allied sheer pace to consistent excellence for longer than anyone else; he was relentlessly professional and determined. At 41, perhaps, Marshall left us too soon, but he leaves behind his legacy as arguably the greatest fast bowler of all time.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Had him at #9
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Had him at #10

Malcolm Marshall

Malcolm Marshall slithered to the crease on the angle, pitter-pat feet twinkling as if in dancing shoes. It was reminiscent of a sidewinder on the attack. He maintained mastery of orthodox outswing and inswing from a neutral position without telegraphing his intent. He was lithe, with a wickedly fast arm that elevated him to express status. Only in inches was he lacking - but he even turned that to his advantage with a bouncer as malicious as they come, skidding on to the batsman. Later in his career, he developed a devastating legcutter which he used on dusty pitches. Allied to a massive cricket intelligence, stamina and courage, Marshall had all the toys and he knew how and when to play with them. His strike rate of 46.22 was phenomenal, his average of 20.95 equally so. He may well have been the finest fast bowler of them all. Even in the formidable line-up of West Indians whose speed and ferocity dominated world cricket for the last quarter of the 20th century, Marshall stood out: he allied sheer pace to consistent excellence for longer than anyone else; he was relentlessly professional and determined. At 41, perhaps, Marshall left us too soon, but he leaves behind his legacy as arguably the greatest fast bowler of all time.
    Brilliant little pen portrait of his bowling.

Christ I'm sick of opening these threads and finding dozens of posts just saying where you had him. I don't give a **** where you had him. If you feel he's misplaced, how about you say why. At least that way it's about the actual cricketer, and not just about the exact bloody numbers on your ****ing list.

Exhale

Gonna go have a kitkat

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Christ I'm sick of opening these threads and finding dozens of posts just saying where you had him. I don't give a **** where you had him. If you feel he's misplaced, how about you say why. At least that way it's about the actual cricketer, and not just about the exact bloody numbers on your ****ing list.

Exhale

Gonna go have a kitkat
    I had him at 7.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Should be 1.

If Bradman is 1 I'm gonna blow a fuse btw.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

In all seriousness, the greatest bowler ever IMO. Could do it all and make it look so easy.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Had him at three. Greatest fast bowler EVER. If he gave Sunny and co. so much trouble in India, imagine him againts Sachin on anything. Even if we put aside his skill, tools and cricketing brains, the getleman never lost a test series even after the retirements of Holding, Garner, Croft, Robeets and the decline of Richards. Deserves to be at least top five. RIP Maco.
    Last edited by kyear2; 12-04-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Had him at three. Greatest fast bowler EVER. If he gave Sunny and co. so much trouble in India, imagine him againts Sachin on anything. Even if we put aside his skill, tools and cricketing brains, the getleman never lost a test series even after the retirements of Holding, Garner, Croft and the decline of Richards. Deserves to be at least top five. RIP Maco.
    ? Just because he troubled Sunny in India doesn't mean he would have automatically been great against Sachin.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Had him at three. Greatest fast bowler EVER. If he gave Sunny and co. so much trouble in India, imagine him againts Sachin on anything. Even if we put aside his skill, tools and cricketing brains, the getleman never lost a test series even after the retirements of Holding, Garner, Croft and the decline of Richards. Deserves to be at least top five. RIP Maco.
    Gavaskar is a bit overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Had me at hello
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    Should be 1.

If Bradman is 1 I'm gonna blow a fuse btw.
    Why?
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Simon Champion!
    Had him at three. Greatest fast bowler EVER. If he gave Sunny and co. so much trouble in India, imagine him againts Sachin on anything. Even if we put aside his skill, tools and cricketing brains, the getleman never lost a test series even after the retirements of Holding, Garner, Croft, Robeets and the decline of Richards. Deserves to be at least top five. RIP Maco.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post

Exhale

Gonna go have a kitkat
    He had me at "hello".

Edit: arrgghhh!!! Corrin of all people!
    Last edited by Burgey; 12-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information