• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Incredible to think that in the time Bracewell's taken 26 test wickets @ 18, Southee's managed a measly 7 @ an average of 55. The fella needs a spell.

BeeGee

International Captain
Nah, 401 is still a long way off. South Africa are still favourites by a mile.

400 runs and 130 odd overs is a heavy ask for the 4th innings, especially for NZ.
Thoughts of winning should be put out of our minds. I will be quite happy if we bat the 50 or so overs that are likely to be bowled tomorrow and come away with a draw.
AWTA. A draw would be an good result for NZ after the poor effort with the bat in their first innings.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Raining in Dunedin, and the shorter it goes there only becomes one winner. Gutted if play is lost, such a let down.

Woodster

International Captain
Could be a potentially exciting final day but for the weather issue. SA will obviously still consider themselves rather heavy favourites, and rightly so, a couple of early wickets could turn ensure they are in a particularly good position.

I enjoyed the way NZ went about their business though yesterday, Nicol I'm sure will have been fuming with himself after stuffing a full bunger down Smith's throat after battling courageously. To state the obvious, this partnership is massive for NZ, both McCullum and Taylor looked solid and in good nick and if they can repel SA well into the day today, maybe the unthinkable could be possible. Of course a draw would be a fantastic result for NZ too, onbiously that depends on the volume of bad weather that's around.

For SA, thought Vern was outstanding with the new ball, he is constantly probing with a hint of movement and delivered a couple of well directed short balls too to keep the batsman guessing. Steyn was some way short of his best but I wouldn't bet against him having a big say today.

It's an intruiging day in store, perhaps the weather will have the final say though.

kingkallis

International Coach
Cricinfo : Mark Kidger, our resident feedbacker provides an accurate summary of supporters' feelings on both sides: "Rain: the romantics will talk of the glorious chase that we were robbed of; the realists will see South Africa robbed of a probable victory."

:D

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Raining in Dunedin, and the shorter it goes there only becomes one winner. Gutted if play is lost, such a let down.
It would be interesting if we get about 60 odd overs today, and NZ cut to 150 needed of 25-30 overs with wickets in hand.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be interesting if we get about 60 odd overs today, and NZ cut to 150 needed of 25-30 overs with wickets in hand.
It's a really interesting one. At that stage, South Africa could go in-out and protect the boundary. Would NZ go, and risk exposing their brittle lower order?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
It's a really interesting one. At that stage, South Africa could go in-out and protect the boundary. Would NZ go, and risk exposing their brittle lower order?
Yeah, it's very interesting. It would depend if one of McCullum or Taylor were still at the crease. The more wickets down the later they leave it, surely.

Of course, a couple of early wickets and there is no need to worry about it.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I was amazed they got any play in on day one given how things looked in the morning, so take this with a grain of salt... but if I were a betting man I'd be laying money on no play today. It's been raining solid for 12 hours, and is really set in at present. Visibility up on the hill is about 100m.

I actually thought a shortened day might increase NZ's chances of winning, illogical though that seems. Chasing 270 off 50 overs, McCullum and/or Taylor could have a real bash, secure that if they got out there would be fewer overs for the rest to survive. With 90 overs to bat, McCullum and Taylor would know an early wicket would give SA plenty of time to bowl out the rest, and that might affect their batting.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Reduced overs gives New Zealand the upper hand IMO. Play safety first for the first part of the innings, but if they have wickets in hand 120 of 10 is achievable.

Obviously SA can put everyone back though, so you would have to factor that in as well.

Briony

International Debutant
I actually thought that reduced overs might militate against the kiwis because at the moment they need just under three runs per over. By upping the rate they have to take more risks and might expose the underbelly earlier. It may also depend if they get back on the influence of the weather. A damp outfield would slow down scoring but a wet bal would hurt the bowlers. The pitch may sweat under the covers and freshen it up to help the quicks.