• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Briony

International Debutant
These overs could be quite invaluable in the context of this chase. I'm comfortable with this if we have a decent amount of overs tomorrow though.
Actually if the weather holds and NZ gets its full quota of overs, it would be expected to get these runs rather comfortably. Smith's declaration would look silly but the weather has to be factored in.

Mike5181

International Captain
Actually if the weather holds and NZ gets its full quota of overs, it would be expected to get these runs rather comfortably. Smith's declaration would look silly but the weather has to be factored in.
If we bat like we have today and the weather holds then I wouldn't dispute that. However the weather tomorrow has always been the issue and it's doubtful that we will get a full days play. Hopefully we do.

Briony

International Debutant
If we bat like we have today and the weather holds then I wouldn't dispute that. However the weather tomorrow has always been the issue and it's doubtful that we will get a full days play. Hopefully we do.
Even with at least part of a day's play there's still a chance.

Australia got the runs in Joburg with a large chunk of the day wiped out and it was on a more bowler-friendly pitch than this. There is nothing in it for the bowlers. It's just about patience and playing the balls on merit.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well done to Taylor and McCullum for toughing it out. McCullum especially - I thought a summer of opening against Australia and South Africa could be the breaking of him but despite (on the face of it) modest returns against Australia he is taking to the role.

Has been an interesting test match so far (except the passage where South Africa racked up lots of runs :p) and tomorrow should be a decent finish even if rain-affected. I would be pretty happy with a draw.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
If the full quota of overs was to be bowled SA set NZ 401 at 3.06 per over which is basically saying if you're good enough it's yours. It's a highly risky declaration but either they were confident that the weather wouldn't hold so banked on extra time or were confident that their attack has the measure of the kiwi batsmen. Given that SA went to only lost half their team for 435 it was perhaps a tad arrogant.

So far they've done well given that their openers are highly problematic anyway.

Briony

International Debutant
Well done to Taylor and McCullum for toughing it out. McCullum especially - I thought a summer of opening against Australia and South Africa could be the breaking of him but despite (on the face of it) modest returns against Australia he is taking to the role.

Has been an interesting test match so far (except the passage where South Africa racked up lots of runs :p) and tomorrow should be a decent finish even if rain-affected. I would be pretty happy with a draw.
If Taylor gets a half ton I think it's his first fifty against SA. He looked bad beyond belief the last time he played against them in SA but in NZ conditions he looks more comfortable and Steyn is not bowling anywhere near as lethally.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If Taylor gets a half ton I think it's his first fifty against SA. He looked bad beyond belief the last time he played against them in SA but in NZ conditions he looks more comfortable and Steyn is not bowling anywhere near as lethally.
True, though that series was iirc Taylor's debut series and it became an anomaly in his career record - after that scored runs against nearly every other team, good or bad, at an average of around 40. And yes Steyn was indeed lethal on those hard pitches at home.

Mike5181

International Captain
He's a significantly better batsman than he was when he toured South Africa. He averages fourty three which is quite impressive for a New Zealander.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Nah, 401 is still a long way off. South Africa are still favourites by a mile.

400 runs and 130 odd overs is a heavy ask for the 4th innings, especially for NZ.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Forget that IPL rubbish, this would be McCullum's finest hour by a long stretch if he was able to guide us home. I don't want to get hopes up but there's not a lot of demons in the wicket that I can see and apart from Philander with the new ball, no one looked threatening at all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Steyn didn't look to be quite at his imperious best to me; def down on pace too. The comms mentioned his poorly toe more than once, so I assume it's having an effect.

I CBA to check his record in NZ, but he's never looked at his best in the People's Repulic of Brit either. Weird because one might've suspected they'd be the two countries to offer him most assistance.

Philander continues to look different gravy tho; had Gus Fraser (not a man to offer praise lightly) nearly purring at his seam position and line in our Sky studio.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, 401 is still a long way off. South Africa are still favourites by a mile.

400 runs and 130 odd overs is a heavy ask for the 4th innings, especially for NZ.
Thoughts of winning should be put out of our minds. I will be quite happy if we bat the 50 or so overs that are likely to be bowled tomorrow and come away with a draw.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After cricket today I went up to the Clubrooms and McCullum was on 49. When I left an hour later he was on 51. Uncharacteristic to say the least. Good effort.

Howsie

International Captain
Southee's a terrible choice for nightwatchman! Get Bracewell padded up if you're going to do it at all, jeez.
I would've gone for Boult personally, he's done a lot of it for Northern Districts over the last two seasons. Bracewell at eight it too important. Couldn't believe I saw Tim Southee padded up though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, 324-5 against Pakistan in 1994. Got 317 against Bangladesh a couple of years ago and that 451 when Astle went silly