• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players you wish to see in the current era.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must admit I was waiting for an Aussie to say Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath and Waugh. :laugh:
We used to make comparable jokes about England a few years ago.

Only we had to use examples of players from the mid-50s to come up with anyone decent.

Flem274*

123/5
Dempster, Donnelly, Cowie and Hadlee

The first three to see how good they could be in eras where we play more tests and fight less wars (everything written makes them sound jizzworthy), and Hadlee because I want NZ to win a test dammit.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd love to see 22 year old versions of Bevan, Hick, Ramprakash, Kambli, Blewett and Sinclair teleported into today's sides to give the whole Test cricket thing another go with a fresh start. Masochism? Well, maybe.

kingkallis

International Coach
Donald Bradman
Victor Trumper
Fred Trueman
Barry Richards
Greame Pollock
Mike Proctor
Richard Hadlee
Ben Hollioake

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Barnes - to see what the **** he bowled.
Bradman - to see how bloody good he was.
Lillee - to see batsmen **** themselves again.
Warne - makes cricket a zillion times more watch-worthy.

Others I would like to see: Viv, Imran, Trueman, Grace, Miller and Sobers.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Harold Larwood, Duleepsinhji, Clarrie Grimmett, WG Grace

...simply because I think all 4 of them deserved to play more test cricket in their respective primes...

Last edited:

sunilreddy

Banned
Vinoo Mankad
Viv Richards
Garner
Imran Khan
Barry Richards
Peter Pollock
Sir Sobers
Mike Procter
David Gower
Richard Hadlee
Bob Willis

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They were all ridiculously awesome domestic batsmen who failed at Test level, mainly due to the mental 'step up'. The more chances they were given, the more they over-thought things, the more played mind games with themselves and the more they failed. I'd be interested in seeing how their careers would unfold if they could just start again without the mental baggage. Things might work out differently.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They were all ridiculously awesome domestic batsmen who failed at Test level, mainly due to the mental 'step up'. The more chances they were given, the more they over-thought things, the more played mind games with themselves and the more they failed. I'd be interested in seeing how their careers would unfold if they could just start again without the mental baggage. Things might work out differently.
How do you know this?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PEWS makes a good point - certainly I am sure the two Englishmen, Hick and Ramprakash, would have done much better under Andy Flower's regime than they did under Mickey Stewart and, particularly, Keith Fletcher and Ray Illingworth

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love to see 22 year old versions of Bevan, Hick, Ramprakash, Kambli, Blewett and Sinclair teleported into today's sides to give the whole Test cricket thing another go with a fresh start. Masochism? Well, maybe.
On similar note, teleporting 24-year old Utpal Chatterjee, Narendra Hirwani, Laxman Sivaramakrishnan and Maninder Singh to the Australian, South Afrcan, New Zealand and Sri Lankan test sides of today respectively (or in any order) will be an interesting idea.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
On similar note, teleporting 24-year old Utpal Chatterjee, Narendra Hirwani, Laxman Sivaramakrishnan and Maninder Singh to the Australian, South Afrcan, New Zealand and Sri Lankan test sides of today respectively (or in any order) will be an interesting idea.
Fair shout. And let's not forget that a couple of Indian left-arm spinners better than these men never played international cricket. Born in the wrong era!