• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Generation Draft

Howe_zat

Audio File
As partly inspired by SJS' recent thread, the idea here is to have a pair of rounds for each generation of Test cricketers, and so giving you a side that takes picks from across the ages.

Rules

1. Said generations I've worked out, based on (but not specific to) famous long-term players, are:

Round 1 & 2: 1877 - 1899 (WG Grace)
Round 3 & 4: 1900 - 1927 (Wilfred Rhodes)
Round 5 & 6: 1928 - 1950 (Don Bradman)
Round 7 & 8: 1951 - 1970 (Garry Sobers)
Round 9 & 10: 1971 - 1990 (Imran Khan)
Round 11 & 12: 1991 - 2011 (Sachin Tendulkar)

On my first go, it took me a surprisingly long time to try and make these fair, with a lot of emphasis on how many cricketers were around during each time. But later I settled on what to me feels more like distinct eras in cricketing history, for example rounds 9 & 10 will see no South Africans picked for obvious reasons.

2. A cricketer qualifies for an era if he played the majority of his Tests in that period. for example, Viv Richards played shortly into the early 90s, but clearly played the majority of his Tests during the 1971-1990 period.

3. For more questionable picks, e.g. picking Alec Bedser (1946-55) in round 5, you'll have to give us the numbers required to show they're eligible. A pick is to be considered "questionable" if someone questions it. In this case, that would mean the participant who tried to pick Bedser pointing out to that questioner that Bedser played 28/51 (55%) of his matches in 1950 or earlier.

4. Not fussed by how many people enter. I'll hope to start running the thing in the next day or so, though.

5. 12 hours a pick. Though as marc says, let's be reasonable.

6. Round orders will be randomised and reversed. Since a new group of players become availiable with every randomisation, it'd be a massive boost for a participant to get first choice in two separate generations. I'd overrule the RNG and randomise again if that happens.

7. Don Bradman is ineligible for all rounds. Too much of a good thing, you know.

In

1. Howe_zat
2. Cevno
3. marc71178
4. fredfertang (to pick last in every round)
5. zaremba
6. cernturymaker
7. morgieb
8. Pothas
9. honestbharani
10. GingerFurball
11. weldone
12. Himannv
13. smalishah84
14. Noble One
15. 8ankitj
16. Blakus

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Will give it a go if people aren't going to get stupid about jumping in on players being late.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I haven't done a draft for ages so, assuming my inability to stop mentioning the final County Championship table in the staff forum hasn't totally exasperated you Jake, I'm in

........................ hey lanky lanky

Howe_zat

Audio File
Okies, with at least 12 in we probably have enough to start. I'll be looking to start this tonight once it's been up for 24 hours, so if anyone wants to join they have until the end of the first round.