• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rob Key - stick to pie-eating

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
Rob Key tends to enrage me whenever he appears in the media. He comes across as smug, arrogant, far too sold on his own abilities and as having a massive chip on his shoulder.

But I thought today's intervention took the biscuit, where he put himself forward for the England captaincy in the World T20. He said:

"I suppose if you look at the squad there is a few of us with captaincy experience, but there are a few things to put right before we get to that. We need to get a coach in and then see who's in the final 15. It would be an unbelievable job [to be captain] - but there are a few who could do it."

Ex-f***-ing-scuse me? "We need to get a coach in"? Who's this "we" from a guy who hasn't played international cricket of any description since 2005, and has hardly set county cricket alight since then?

Why don't you try and get in the squad first, matey, and then try and get into the team, before you start talking about captaining England or making out that you're on the inside somehow? There are at least 4 people ahead of you in the queue at the moment, all of whom walk into the T20 side and have considerable international experience.

C**k off back to your mediocre county.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah never really had much time for old fat face and he has always come across as somewhat arrogant and I certainly don't think he is ever going to make a quality test player. Having said that I think he could actually do a decent job for the 20twenty world cup, he has experience in the format and captained Kent to victory. If Collingwood can't be persuaded to take it then I think he is an option worth considering.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rob Key tends to enrage me whenever he appears in the media. He comes across as smug, arrogant, far too sold on his own abilities and as having a massive chip on his shoulder.

But I thought today's intervention took the biscuit, where he put himself forward for the England captaincy in the World T20. He said:

"I suppose if you look at the squad there is a few of us with captaincy experience, but there are a few things to put right before we get to that. We need to get a coach in and then see who's in the final 15. It would be an unbelievable job [to be captain] - but there are a few who could do it."

Ex-f***-ing-scuse me? "We need to get a coach in"? Who's this "we" from a guy who hasn't played international cricket of any description since 2005, and has hardly set county cricket alight since then?

Why don't you try and get in the squad first, matey, and then try and get into the team, before you start talking about captaining England or making out that you're on the inside somehow? There are at least 4 people ahead of you in the queue at the moment, all of whom walk into the T20 side and have considerable international experience.

C**k off back to your mediocre county.
Key's always come across as a bit of a ****, but I think this post is a tad harsh.

Firstly, I've seen forum members call England (or whoever they support) "we" and they're nowhere close to the team. Whether he's playing or even in the squad or not, Key obviously feels that the English cricket team represents the entire English cricket-supporting public. To me it doesn't imply that he actually feels he's in the team any more than you are.

Regarding him talking about the captaincy, I daresay he was asked a question specifically about it. Something along the lines of "Have you thought about the possibility of captaining England in this competition?" Interviewers are clever like that.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding him talking about the captaincy, I daresay he was asked a question specially about it. Something along the lines of "Have you thought about the possibility of captaining England in this competition?" Interviewers are clever like that.
Maybe, but the answer to that is "Ill concentrate on first getting into the team before I discuss the captaincy"

martin88

Banned
Maybe, but the answer to that is "Ill concentrate on first getting into the team before I discuss the captaincy"
Hmm.. Andrew Strauss, ODI captaincy, etc etc have made me rethink about that approach. Not that Strauss was a failure by any means.

Woodster

International Captain
I think he is one of the favourite's for the job, and should I be in charge, he's certainly someone I'd consider. I understand the kind of smug persona he portrays, although I think that may be misunderstood. He certainly does not come across as arrogant, to me.

His T20 innovations are impressive, and despite Kent being relegated in the CC last season, his captaincy is talked of very highly, by those supposedly in the know. I like the way he approaches the Twenty20 format, both as a captain and a batsman, not afraid to think outside the box and uses his innovations as a batsmen expertly.

Using 'we' when talking about the England set-up is absolutely natural!! I use 'we' because I'm English, and 'we' don't have a coach in place, what should he use 'they'???He is in the squad for goodness sake.

He does need to string together some consistent performances in the 4day game to be seriously considered as an option for the Test side. I like him, he's a confident batsman, but I wouldn't say an arrogant person. Also talks a lot of sense.

Why not talk about the England captaincy, everyone else talked about him when he was linked with the Test job. He's not daft enough not to realise he needs to be in the side first and foremost, and I'm sure he'd take just that if he was offered right now.

martin88

Banned
Key's always come across as a bit of a ****, but I think this post is a tad harsh.

Firstly, I've seen forum members call England (or whoever they support) "we" and they're nowhere close to the team. Whether he's playing or even in the squad or not, Key obviously feels that the English cricket team represents the entire English cricket-supporting public. To me it doesn't imply that he actually feels he's in the team any more than you are.

Regarding him talking about the captaincy, I daresay he was asked a question specially about it. Something along the lines of "Have you thought about the possibility of captaining England in this competition?" Interviewers are clever like that.
I agree with this post. I think the "we" reference was more from country love pov than auto-assumption that he's selected as T20 captain. Harsh on the fellow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

And not a "don't avoid the filter either please" in sight. :p

Seriously, surprised at the Key-hate TBH. Never had anything against him myself, and full credit to him for turning himself from a genuine rotund into a, relatively speaking, slimline type.

Agree with this post BTW. Always, I feel, disruptive to have an "outsider" come in and captain. Any captain should have been established in the team for a while pre-captaincy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And not a "don't avoid the filter either please" in sight. :p
Well, I noticed the "c**k" but I couldn't think of a filtered word it actually avoided.

Upon closer inspection though, there seem to be a "f***" as well. Penguinissimo, please don't avoid (or semi-avoid :p) the filter; it's there for a reason.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Hmmm I think the jibes about his personality are a bit harsh, but he's been a big fish in the small pond of county cricket for a long time, he's bound to be a bit ****y. In terms of abiltiy I think he's just another front foot thumper a la Trescothick but nowhere near as good, England have been churning them out for years. I hope Mascarenhas get's it ahead of him, I have a feeling we'd see a lot more innovation.

Scaly piscine

Hmm this would be the same Rob Key who robbed Mark Davies of a 5-fer twice on the A tour by bowling his ****ty county team-mates and Saj **** all wickets for 80 off 20 overs Mahmood.

I don't think he warrants the benefit of the doubt here.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't particularly agree with you on this, Penguinissimo, but I enjoyed the rant a lot.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
I think he is one of the favourite's for the job, and should I be in charge, he's certainly someone I'd consider. I understand the kind of smug persona he portrays, although I think that may be misunderstood. He certainly does not come across as arrogant, to me.

His T20 innovations are impressive, and despite Kent being relegated in the CC last season, his captaincy is talked of very highly, by those supposedly in the know. I like the way he approaches the Twenty20 format, both as a captain and a batsman, not afraid to think outside the box and uses his innovations as a batsmen expertly.

Using 'we' when talking about the England set-up is absolutely natural!! I use 'we' because I'm English, and 'we' don't have a coach in place, what should he use 'they'???He is in the squad for goodness sake.

He does need to string together some consistent performances in the 4day game to be seriously considered as an option for the Test side. I like him, he's a confident batsman, but I wouldn't say an arrogant person. Also talks a lot of sense.

Why not talk about the England captaincy, everyone else talked about him when he was linked with the Test job. He's not daft enough not to realise he needs to be in the side first and foremost, and I'm sure he'd take just that if he was offered right now.
Could not agree more, in my opinion Key is one of the most talented batsman in the country and certainly deserves another chance at international level as do some of the other lads in the Lions squad. Sajid Mahmood is another one who I think deserves one more chance after an improved last season, I know pretty much everyone will disagree with me on this but he has assets england could use in the summer.

Woodster

International Captain
Could not agree more, in my opinion Key is one of the most talented batsman in the country and certainly deserves another chance at international level as do some of the other lads in the Lions squad. Sajid Mahmood is another one who I think deserves one more chance after an improved last season, I know pretty much everyone will disagree with me on this but he has assets england could use in the summer.
Yes Mahmood is another one who I think has more to offer, always receives a massive slating on here as one of the worst players to represent England, which I don't agree with at all. Hopefully benefited from having a decent season in County cricket last year, and has been bowling rather rapidly apparently over the winter, and in the nets.

Scaly piscine

Strange then how Mahmood was complete garbage on the England Lions tour. Averaged nearly 33 in FC last season - outdone by virtually every seamer at Lancashire.

FBU

International Debutant
Hmm this would be the same Rob Key who robbed Mark Davies of a 5-fer twice on the A tour by bowling his ****ty county team-mates and Saj **** all wickets for 80 off 20 overs Mahmood.

I don't think he warrants the benefit of the doubt here.
I wasn't happy about that either. Then in another game Plunkett was economical and had taken two wickets but was ignored and wicketless, expensive Joseph was given the tail.