• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When's the squad named?
Final 23 needs to be named by 1st June, but I believe Fab has to name a 30 man long squad before then.

Meanwhile Campbell & King in frame.

All things being equal they're the best two defensive centre halves we have, IMHO. Trouble is Sol is 36 later this year & Ledley has a knee that'd be flattered to be called "buggered". However when the alternatives include Upson & Lescott you can see why Fab might be tempted.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I reckon he ought to consider one of them as the 4th centre half (since Terry, Rio and Upson are fairly inked in) and personally would go for Sol over King.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No Dawson fans?
This season's Lescott without the goals and scarey forehead. Decent player in good form rather than a real international class defender, IMHO. If Woodgate & King weren't permainjured he wouldn't get a regular start for the Spurts.

Probably have him ahead of Upson on current form tho.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, has anyone even watched Upson recently, he's dog-turd. Dawson easily ahead of him along with many others IMHO.

duffer

Shawcross would be better (as long as he's recovered from his traumatic experience) as I think Dawson is still very much a liability despite a great season performing above himself.

As for Sol, he's been absolutely outstanding when he has played for us, but if you're going to win a World Cup you need a guy who can play twice in a few days in case you need him. Not sure he could guarantee that despite looking like the old Campbell for a lot of his comeback.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well since the captain can't manage that either, maybe alternate the 2 of them through the tournament?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Barry ****ed for a month: BBC.

Good news for Owen Hargreaves; our only other holding midfielder worthy of the name.
Barry has been crud this season though. I'm a big fan and reckon that he is a good player, but judging by his performances, he wasn't going to have a massive impact.

Jarquis

Capello didn't end up at the Emirates ftr.
IIRC I read that Walcott will be in the provisional squad but Sol won't be.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
TBH it'd be madness to not have Theo in the 30 at least, and I guess it's King's sudden return to being able play more than once in a blue moon that's pushed Sol out.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Paper reckoned Carragher & Parker are gonna be the two shock names in the 30.

No Lescott or Brown tho.
That would be taking the piss to extreme. I mean, Brown is worse than useless, but Carragher on current form is worse than that, mainly to do with the fact that Stephen Hawkings could probably take him round the outside.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dawson, King, Ferdinand and Terry should be the CBs with Brown as well if he recovers.
Only need four really, or maybe you're talking about the 30?

RE Carragher, seems an odd call as he hasn't had a good season. Would trust him more than Brown though, every day of the week.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He's fit and not ****ing a team mate's ex, which moves him ahead of every capped centre-half we have except big Sol & Upson, tbh.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, although ironically it's been said that his ability to cover more than one position that is prompting the selection.